Economy & New Player Experience

5 replies to this topic

#1 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 01:34 PM

So I know you have heard this many times before but with the impending Steam release the economy in MWO need's to be fixed badly. The game should have a feel of progression not grind. At current 10-20 matches depending on skill level of player will "basic" a chassis, but only yield 1-2 Milion C-bills. (yes some of us do better or much better but I'm talking average player here)

From that point on to get to a 2nd chassis it's a grind. 10-20 more matches for just a light chassis, that's not counting customization of the chassis. On average your looking at 40+ matches for one chassis to be equipped the way the player want's. Now multiply that by an average of 10 min per match (8 in match 2 searching) your looking at 40+ hours of in game time for a LIGHT MECH that you still need to by 2 more of to master. or 120 hours to master 3 lights. 3 full work weeks.

Next, one of the biggest complaints I see is the reduced earnings after the first 25 matches. Yes there are many other questions but that one comes up most often.

If you don't see the problem here let me explain further.

Your average gamer will spend 15-20 hours a week on a game he loves to play. Which means to get to the point of mastering 1 mech he will have to play for 6 weeks. The average gamer will quit long before then. They will see the game as a MASSIVE grind and they will be right. Add the complaints of the loss of income and you have a problem.

A few suggestions here to fix the problem.

1) At the very least Double the c-bill earnings.
2) Remove the new player c-bill bonus.
3) Reduce the cost of upgrades and XL engines.
4) Reduce the cost in c-bills of Weapon modules. (2 mil I'd say)

These measures will give the game less of a grind feel, and remove the shock of loosing that cadet bonus. They will then spend real world money to get mech bay's for all those mech's they want to buy. After all they still only get 4 mech bay's to start. Add in the paint's, camo's, Hero Mech's, Champion Mech's, Cockpit items, & Premium Time and there is still a lot of money to be made by PGI, without making the game a total grind fest like it is now. 6 months after steam release cut those c-bill earnings by 25% and after another 3 do it again. You'll still make money but you will have hooked them by then and they will spend money like many of us for the things they want.

If your worried about some of us making massive amounts of c-bills , put a cap to the amount that can be made in a match. Cap it at 400k or so, or make rewards diminish with the better you do to make it harder to make massive amounts of c-bills. Something like that should curb any excesses.

Edited by Ashvins, 04 June 2015 - 01:38 PM.

#2 MechWarrior849305

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 10:34 PM

Want to earn smthn? - Donate. Or grind. Your choice.

#3 Igor Kozyrev

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • WC 2017 Silver Champ
  • 1,881 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia, Siberia

Posted 04 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

But MWO players are not average. We are special!

#4 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:05 AM

Welcome to the BattleTech universe. MechWarriors are the elite of the elite. You don't get to be a master of your mech, chassis, or class, in a few hours.

Yes, the economy needs a re-work, but lets not make the game ridiculous.

#5 Sh4nk0h0l1c

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 91 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:17 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 05 June 2015 - 06:05 AM, said:

Welcome to the BattleTech universe. MechWarriors are the elite of the elite. You don't get to be a master of your mech, chassis, or class, in a few hours.

Yes, the economy needs a re-work, but lets not make the game ridiculous.

QFT !!

#6 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostDuoAngel, on 04 June 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Want to earn smthn? - Donate. Or grind. Your choice.

I play with premium time ALL the time, I own 8 Hero mech's & I'm an Overlord package purchaser. I have donated plenty. I have no problem making c-bill's. This post has NOTHING to do with me. It has to do with the players PGI hope's to get with a Steam release. PGI want's more revenue hence the steam release, so hook them first (my suggestions) then (if you actually READ what i posted) slowly pull back on the c-bill earnings.

Some people only give knee jerk reactions after skimming over something or just post to troll.

Which are your Troll or too lazy to read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users