New Battlemech Movement Behaviour - Feedback

522 replies to this topic

#441 EchoMike

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 149 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on Rigel III

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

I for one am glad this new physics behaviour was implemented. It makes freak'n sense now. Previously, it made no sense why a 100 ton mech could walk up a 80 degree slope. Thanks PGI, don't listen to the hoopleheads who are moaning over this one.

#442 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

So I have played a bit with the new movement rules and for the most part it's all good. One thing I do have a question on though:
Is there a minimum height in which the new rules take effect? I understand a 45 degree angle is too steep for many mechs, but not when it's only a meter or so high.... My mech should be able to step up or over it.

And while I am on the subject, can you please remove the statues in front of Citadel on River City? Or at least reduce their clipping. They are ok if they will be destructable terrain in the future but for now make them like trees. Thanks.

#443 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

I think what needs to be done is to set the "non-traversable" angle to be something higher than 45 degrees, maybe 60 degrees or so.

'Mechs would still be able to walk up anything between 45-60 degrees but at a speed reduced to ~10kph (1 MP for those familiar with tabletop rules).

#444 Herald of Omega

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 25 posts
  • Locationan igloo with internet

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

When I hit a 45 degree slope and stop, why can't I use jump jets to move up and forward at the same time?

#445 eaglemaster42

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:55 PM

Great job making movement more realistic! It's going to take me a little while to get used to but still. I would suggest adding a few more ramps to get to the upper tier on canyon though.

#446 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Perfect, now my mech feels less like a humaniod frame and more like a brick than ever. I mean, mobility was bad before, but now it's horrid...

#447 Alik Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 406 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostEchoMike, on 08 July 2013 - 03:37 AM, said:

I for one am glad this new physics behaviour was implemented. It makes freak'n sense now. Previously, it made no sense why a 100 ton mech could walk up a 80 degree slope. Thanks PGI, don't listen to the hoopleheads who are moaning over this one.

Most Mechs have hands and could climb 80º slopes in the BT novels or even TT.

PGI seems to forget that a human can walk up a 45° slope so a Mech should be able to also via gyro stabilization... there's no reason for this kind of limit... If you don't believe me vist San Franciso or Seattle some time.

The fact that pebels (literally) will stop a 100ton Mech should have been address before release of a movement changer. Don't mind the slowing down bit, but it should not stop a Mech from moving or prevent it utilizing the terrain.

Edited by Alik Kerensky, 08 July 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#448 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:49 AM

Great addition to the game! Makes a lot of sense.

But JJ really need to have some forward thrust so they can be used to climb slopes.

#449 AndyHill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:51 AM

With a little more time to test the new system I have a few suggestions:

1) Lower the treshold value for slowdown. Many relatively steep hills (like the initial climb to the caldera on Caustic) don't affect 'mech speed at all even though they probably should.

2) Increase inertia so that the slowdown starts slower. This way small pebbles are less of an issue and the movement is less jerky around steep hills.

3) In addition to going uphill slowing 'mechs down, a suitably mild downhill should give them some extra speed.

4) A Jenner should not be able to run 150kph almost completely submerged in water.

With these changes the movement should become a bit more fluid and logical. The slowdown in water might require some changes to the most watery maps, but it's a good thing there are so few of them at the moment, so now would be a good time.

Edited by AndyHill, 09 July 2013 - 02:52 AM.

#450 Hyperlynx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:15 AM

Christ, this new system is just awful. Large mechs get stuck on tiny rocks that they should be able to step over. Canyon network is now unplayable unless you have jump jets. Alpine peaks is even less fun than it was, which I didn't think was even possible.

#451 Howdy Doody

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

I love this change. I see more lights & meds running up and over hills doing quick attacks and there isn't much I can do about it in my Jager. I think this is great for lights/meds and is actually making me want to play one again.

I also love the fact that now when I make my builds, engine speed is now more important than ever. I am constantly dropping a little firepower for more speed and that is a great thing IMO.

I also love the fact that I have to look at my environment to try and find more efficient ways to travel/flank. Before I would just point the mech to where I was wanting to go. Now I try and think a little bit ahead.

Love the change and love the game more than ever because of it.

#452 van Uber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 284 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostHyperlynx, on 09 July 2013 - 04:15 AM, said:

Christ, this new system is just awful. Large mechs get stuck on tiny rocks that they should be able to step over. Canyon network is now unplayable unless you have jump jets. Alpine peaks is even less fun than it was, which I didn't think was even possible.

I feel it's quite the opposit, Canyon and Alpine have become a really fun and tactical challenge for my brawling Atlas. Still minor issues to be tweaked, but on a whole a major leap forward.

#453 Nihilim

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

First of all, I will say that I'm not against 100% of the movement changes, but they were implemented poorly IMHO.

Mech's not being able to walk up the mountain in Alpine? sure. No sheer cliffs in cannon? cool. Some of the steepest slopes in Caustic, fair enough.....But that is where it needs to stop. The fact we have movement restrictions on angles that only come up to our knees? SILLY. The fact that we can get caught up in the pipes on Caustic and nearly unable to free ourselves? BAD.

Running a generalized pathing sweep over maps and then sending them live is bad design, bad development, and just shows low respect for the player base. You can say 'this is beta' but we are all not so easily fooled, you are running a soft launch and this game is live as you are taking our money to play it, so claiming this game isn't live is a disservice to yourself.

Please QA your product more effectively, especially for such game breaking content.

I will be taking a break from MWO because I find many maps nearly unplayable in the current game environment. Basically if you don't have Jump Jets you might as well pull most of your engine because you aren't going to be getting anywhere quickly anyway, if you are a Heavy/Assault class mech in particular.

Also seriously think about working a redesign on Canyon now that we are stuck so completely in the canyons, adding a few more places to climb out would not negatively impact the matches and add more tactical options.

#454 Trev Firestorm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:21 PM

Edit: wasnt worth it.

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 09 July 2013 - 07:22 PM.

#455 Urdnot Mau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 501 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

I think that it adds something good to the game.

1- Assaults are now less maneuverable and more slugish (YEAH !). This should disencourage pilots bringing assaults to the game, wich would only benefit the meta.

2 - We can't lick walls anymore. It means that when we walk against a wall our movement slows down.

3 - It gives meaning to those hills. Now map's hills feel more real and we can really see their purpose and how they affect the game.

4 - And probably the most important feature... An introduction to knockdowns !

BUT

1 - We are getting stuck in tiny rocks. This only disencourages brawling (and therefore the use of medium 'mechs).

2 - Maybe the stop angle for lights and mediums shouldn't be 45 ... I think that would be a huge boost to mediums attractiveness and viability.

3 - 'Mechs stops too fast. I think that the slowdown speed should be equal to a non-elited Atlas/Awesome.

Anyways... this is as positive as BAP countering ECM.

#456 LordDante

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 782 posts
  • Locationmy Wang is aiming at ur rear... torso

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:58 AM

like everything get used to it or perish....

#457 Gevurah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:22 AM

I'd like to see a min speed of 5 instead of a dead stop as well as more flexibility for mechs (i.e. buff our climbing ability a bit) because even the 'acceptable paths' are hard to do without walking perfect at times. Let alone while in a firefight.

#458 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostGevurah, on 11 July 2013 - 07:22 AM, said:

I'd like to see a min speed of 5 instead of a dead stop as well as more flexibility for mechs (i.e. buff our climbing ability a bit) because even the 'acceptable paths' are hard to do without walking perfect at times. Let alone while in a firefight.

We all would.

But I think combined with the recent heat announcements they don't even care the tiniest bit. It's their way or the highway, and their way takes a big shortcut through stupid right now.

Edited by Victor Morson, 12 July 2013 - 02:58 AM.

#459 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:51 AM

So let me get this straight.

My 75 foot tall mech with 40 foot tall legs that raise up at least 15 feet to take a step...

now cannot step over a park bench or 1 foot tall rock.

Hell it can't even step up the actual RAMP inclines in the canyons map to step onto the train tracks.

EPIC FAIL.

#460 Therrinian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 197 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I attepted to walk up the river side ramp from lower city to the base in River ciry, the tiny 4 feet gate would not let me into the base, I tried for 5 minutes with an atlas DDC. A lot of such small structures completly stop mechs nowwadays...
Hope they get another pass.

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users