Hydra On Steroids! (Sizxsense's New Controller Has Potential)

6 replies to this topic

#1 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Wow, look at this thing!
Posted Image

http://sixense.com/wireless

Here's Bloodshed showing MWO with the Hydra:

and some threads on the Hydra and MWO:

http://mwomercs.com/...-the-mech-ever/

http://mwomercs.com/...-hydra-configs/

#2 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:34 PM

yay, super old videos I need to do more of XD

#3 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:10 PM

Very interesting.

So, Loc Nar... where do you see the new wireless and the original Hydra fitting into your Zero order, First order controller continuum?

#4 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:22 PM

i'm interested in the wireless ones... the main reason I don't play with the hydra more is the cable on it... the one going to the computer is to short for me.. and the wires to the controllers are to long for me... I think if I had a wireless version i'd play with them a LOT more... and i'll put this out there to.. I can't play Portal 2 without the hydra.. just isn't the same.. at all....

#5 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:33 PM

where do you see the new wireless and the original Hydra fitting into your Zero order, First order controller continuum?

Undecided. I've always been really intrigued by the idea, because long before off the shelf technology could pull this off I cooked up a similar scheme, the purpose of which was to be able to use my real sailplane cockpit as a simpit, by having my ship on it's assembly stand in front of a screen in a hanger with me flying the sim from my own cockpit.

It was before mocap was readily available, and before the Wiimote existed and long before it could be relied on (before Wiimote+ addition there were no gyros and they did not track 1:1 motion, just translated accel). Before I could really move on it, other technology began to emerge that made it not worth my while to reinvent this wheel, but I never stopped being interested in it and I see this as an extension of that.

I have no desire to use this for MWO since I'm quite satisfied with my *HOTA(zero-order)S, but it might be a viable controller. I can see it being more interesting in Star Citizen since it could easily be tortured into a 6DoF yoke with minimal modification and I assume one can use any of the axes in zero or higher order as desired. If I end up with one, surely I'll try it out with MWO and see what can be done, plus it might inspire other adaptations. I've joked around in the past about gutting a Hydra to build into an appropriately articulated model spaceship for a 6DoF controller, and this version makes that even more feasible.

HOTAZ? HOTAZOS?

#6 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

I can't play Portal 2 without the hydra.. just isn't the same.. at all....

Immersion... it's a hell of a drug! :rolleyes: I so hear ya... and for the same reasons I only really get into MWO when I'm using my stick. In my pit. Sure I can drive it throttle/mouse (kbm need not apply) at a desk to the same effect ... but it just isn't the same... at all...

#7 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

i'm at that point that i can't pilot for **** when i'm using a keyboard + mouse

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users