7 replies to this topic

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:44 AM

Sometimes you can do more damage to an areas by not being so precise.

Sorry no video:

For short range ~350
---------------------------
Target that mech
When firing (Arm lasers work better) rotate your mouse into little circles while keeping it over the general area of the mech.

This will spread the damage into a circular area.
Pair it up with either SRMS or and LBX autocannon.

Advantages is that you won't totally miss a mech. Disadvantageish is spread damage. Doesn't work will with pulse lasers.

Useful for mimicking the advantages of LBX spread for spray and pray over red areas.

Edited by ManDaisy, 22 February 2016 - 01:47 AM.

#2 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:18 AM

You might be racking up more damage per kill because you are spreading your damage around and finishing that opponent slower.

I'd rather do less damage, but have it all go to one section (unless I'm using a spreading weapon already like SRMs). Generally, weapons that spread damage have lower heat, more damage, or some type of benefit to counteract this.

Since Lasers deliver pin-point damage, and this is one of their main advantages, why would you specifically use them in a way which counter acts this? If you can't really see your enemy, raking area to get some damage in is fine, as long as you aren't being fired on yet.

#3 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:02 PM

Ideally, you hit the exact same spot on a mech to pop it off. When you spread the damage out, you're making it easier for that mech to survive, with all its weapons intact, to take you out.

So this kind of goes along with my theory of how players evolve in this game:

1) new player, still getting torso twist down, still trying to figure out what that little circle is that ranges outside the crosshairs, probably doesn't realize friendly fire is a thing, when they hit the enemy mech - it's an awesome moment of "Hey! I did it!"

2) By this point, the player has a general idea of where the enemy will be and can hit them on the regular. TONS of damage, but probably not a lot of kills. Kills are usually done by coring out the enemy mech with overwhelming damage, a lucky shot on a damaged part, or group fired with teammates. Also sticks with the team a bit more than trying to be Rambo (usually).

3) By this point, the player is not only able to consistently hit the enemy, but can consistently hit the enemy where it will do the most damage, taking out that mech's primary weapon(s) or even kill it if there's a normal build. Just by glancing at the loadout, the player can tell where the weapons are and, if it's an IS mech, if it's running an XL or not. They can torso twist while doing this. They feel where the team's doing and what the enemy is likely doing.

#4 4ries

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 79 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:22 AM

To me personally, I find players that spread laser damage around your mech to be jackholes... Why is that? Because they spread the damage all around your mech, leaving no torso, arms or legs untouched. If they keep doing that then eventually they will wear you down enough for other mechs to come in to brawl and since your mech is damaged everywhere you are at a disadvantage.
You cant really shield or torsotwist to protect something because your whole mech has already been damaged. To me thats real bad sportsmanship.

This spiraling lasers technique is just lame. And jackhole like...

When I aim I always go for the centre torso. Thats a leftover from my mechwarrior4/mercs days (never played that online though.). And I never aim for side torso's too actually.

My point is this: learn to aim! I rather go up against a player that is targeting a specific part of my mech than someone spreading all his applied damage all over my mech because he probably cant aim, has twitches and/or is an *******.

I was about to make a comparison to something but I wont... My point should be clear enough...

Spiraling laser technique...Posted Image

#5 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 01:28 AM

View Post4ries, on 08 June 2016 - 01:22 AM, said:

To me personally, I find players that spread laser damage around your mech to be jackholes... Why is that? Because they spread the damage all around your mech, leaving no torso, arms or legs untouched. If they keep doing that then eventually they will wear you down enough for other mechs to come in to brawl and since your mech is damaged everywhere you are at a disadvantage.
You cant really shield or torsotwist to protect something because your whole mech has already been damaged. To me thats real bad sportsmanship.

When I aim I always go for the centre torso. Thats a leftover from my mechwarrior4/mercs days (never played that online though.). And I never aim for side torso's too actually.

My point is this: learn to aim! I rather go up against a player that is targeting a specific part of my mech than someone spreading all his applied damage all over my mech because he probably cant aim, has twitches and/or is an *******.

I was about to make a comparison to something but I wont... My point should be clear enough...

It's not exactly more effective than putting all the damage in a single point. Why would I want to dump 140+ damage into both LT and LA when I can just dump 70 into LT and get both LA and LT? And disable some weapons while I'm at it, and possibly even score a kill?

#6 Danjo San

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Liao
  • Hero of Liao
  • 1,020 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 02:20 AM

Posted Image

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:55 AM

View Post4ries, on 08 June 2016 - 01:22 AM, said:

I suppose it can be a bit jerkish. More orange and red draws enemies like magnets.

They're helping you to live longer but in a sense if the game had repair and rearm; this technique would be a troll's way to bankrupt you. Again, if R&R was still in.

-----------

View PostManDaisy, on 22 February 2016 - 01:44 AM, said:

Advantages is that you won't totally miss a mech. Disadvantageish is spread damage. Doesn't work will with pulse lasers.

Useful for mimicking the advantages of LBX spread for spray and pray over red areas.

This has a few issues, the only one I won't bother to get into is self-risk or pinpoint issues.

Doing this will do decimal damage to the various limbs you spiralled on. Note that the typical medium laser has about 10 ticks. Check tick, is on target? Yes; apply 0.5 damage. Check tick, is on target? No, waste 0.5 damage. The problem is that where the crosshair is on each tick is what matters, if the laser is off target for maybe 0.00001 seconds and it happened to be on a 'tick', bam you lost that damage.
Note that ER MLs have more ticks and "reduced duration" lasers actually have their tick count cut in proportion to their duration,meaning bigger risks of losing damage.
MWO takes all decimal damage and rounds them up when scoring; you don't really do that much damage it's been rounded up to inflate your numbers.

This said, I see you noticed it doesn't work well with pulse lasers. Pulse lasers only have 2 to 5 ticks. Their spacing is also further apart than each millisecond.
Large pulse laser: Checks for a tick approximately every 0.15 seconds of unquirked beam time and applying 2.65 damage in that tick.
Large pulse laser with a 20% beam duration cut -- as just an example -- might only have 2 ticks instead and check every 0.25 seconds to apply 5.3 damage, and being off target there... heh...heh.
Still these are with just one laser.

If it can't decide where you are aiming at the time of a tick, the game shrugs and says miss.
This is the reason why pulse lasers don't agree with it too much.

This is someone using the spiraling technique; unintentionally.
https://youtu.be/31Nnscv3V2c?t=739
Four lasers, so 2 damage per tick.
Still not much good, but there was a clear disadvantage here; the enemy has a weak point and aim just wasn't that good.

Edit: Damage calculation here was based on old Large Pulse Laser damage of 10.6...
Now inflated to 11???

Sigh...
First LPL measurement: ~NOW~ buffed to 2.75 damage per unquirked tick (if still 4 ticks)
Second LPL measurement: ~NOW~ buffed to 5.5 damage per unquirked tick. (if still 2 ticks).
Note: Base duration has also changed. **** you PGI. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
I'm not gonna work out the math on that... As 4ries said, that's Jackholish.

Why buff damage if you're gonna increase the duration?!?! ...Sense PGI make does not.

Edited by Koniving, 08 June 2016 - 04:09 AM.

#8 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:58 AM

Uh, OP, um...sorry but your spiraling laser targeting technique or whatever you want to call it, is what we old people call "the shakes" or in medical terms an "essential tremor". Perhaps you should see a physician? It isn't a big deal for most folks if you are doing this, just a normal sign of old age. But it could be something more serious. Even a neurological disorder like Parkinson's disease. Never hurts to get your self checked out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users