Newbies and people who are adopting IS for the first time

35 replies to this topic

#21 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

My bad. "...washing our heads..." ;) :)
I was in rush. B)

"We are more honorable..." => One Liao warrior has more honor than the whole Combine.

"...and only Maskirovka is brainwashing us." => response to the post I quoted about citizen rights in the Combine.

"And the Kai is one of us." => Kai Allard-Liao -- No need to comment this. -_-

#22 revanus

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Remember Kentares!

Ultimately, dragons are simply the biggest snakes.

#23 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:45 AM

View PostAdridos, on 29 November 2011 - 08:11 AM, said:

My bad. "...washing our heads..." :lol: ;)
I was in rush. ^_^

"We are more honorable..." => One Liao warrior has more honor than the whole Combine.

"...and only Maskirovka is brainwashing us." => response to the post I quoted about citizen rights in the Combine.

"And the Kai is one of us." => Kai Allard-Liao -- No need to comment this. B)

I wasn't sure if "washing our heads" was some new phrase I was too old to know (or the other way around), lol.

Don't get me started on Liao now though, I'm on a roll against Kurita! :o

#24 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 29 November 2011 - 08:48 AM

View PostDihm, on 29 November 2011 - 08:45 AM, said:

Don't get me started on Liao now though, I'm on a roll against Kurita! :o

Ok. ;)

*sits back and smiles*

#25 Soltenius Drake

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:07 PM

I am new the the Mech Warrior community and am reviewing the elements of the game. I am excited about the things I have read and have already decided to take the plunge when Mech Warrior online comes out. I am not sure about which house I will join or if I will join one but if I do which way would you recommend I go about discovering which is the better house?

#26 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 12 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Read the various faction/house forums here... see what general conversation styles appeal to you.

Read sarna.net to get some basic info.

If you're into it enough, research the various ways to purchase the faction sourcebooks/information from the tabletop game.

#27 Alizabeth Aijou

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:31 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 November 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

Also there is bad then there is Bad http://www.sarna.net...Kai_Allard-Liao

When you single-highhandedly defeat the Falcon Guard you are the badest of the Bad!

You got Liao crazy, and then you got really crazy: http://www.sarna.net.../Jinjiro_Kurita

#28 Princess79

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 32 posts
  • Location栃木県、日本 Tochigi-Ken, Japan

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:21 AM

Taxman, just as a clarification, Bushido is not a religion but a philosophy, akin to Chivalry in practice but not in doctrine. 武士道 (Bushido) literally translates to "way of the gentleman warrior" and was a doctrine that exalted ideal of honor, intellectualism, and elegance, and is a good example of the ideal of warrior poets present in several east Asian cultures. If you want to emulate the "ideals" of Bushido, I would start learning calligraphy and haiku as soon as possible, fellow Warrior :)

Another element of Bushido that is similar to chivalry is how it is often misconstrued. The majority of Samurai did not strictly adhere to Bushido, as the majority of knights did not strictly adhere to codes of chivalry. However, both of these philosophies are celebrated today as idealistic warrior traditions. In medieval Japan, there was no shame or dishonor in retreating, nor was having a larger army than your opponent.

I think if I remember correctly, the state religion of the Draconis Combine is Shinto, which is a form of animistic spirituality. However, I am not certain about the presence of Buddhism in the Draconis Combine. Considering that the DC is based off of "feudal" Japan, it would make sense that Buddhism had a major presence every combine citizen's life. Also, and this is a nod to the Liao, but Confucianism has had a large influence on Japanese culture, so it would makes sense that Confucianism would be present. However I am not familiar with how present Buddhism and Confucianism are in the Draconis Combine. What do other followers of the Coordinator have to say?

Edited by 森小熊, 07 March 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#29 Joseph Calvert

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 153 posts
  • LocationQC, Arizona

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:38 AM

ALL of the houses have skeletons in their closets(some more than others). All of them have done dirty deeds at one point in their history.

#30 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:32 AM

View Postrevanus, on 29 November 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

Remember Kentares!

So, how did that little act of aggression in 3039 work out for the FedCom?

Hanse Davion got a much needed lesson in humility courtesy of Theodore.

#31 dcmchaos

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationRed Light District of Luthien

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:54 PM

View Postrevanus, on 29 November 2011 - 08:40 AM, said:

Remember Kentares!

Big Snake Envy. A terrible thing.

#32 Hustler One

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 27 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

Yeah I don't know much about the the mechwarrior lore, I have only played 2 of the video games (MechWarrior 3050 and MechCommander) never done anything thing with the tabletop game. I got a lot of reading to do.

#33 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:46 PM

For those interested in the history of the game-universe, this link leads to a wealth of official material. :)

http://bg.battletech.com/?page_id=23

#34 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

sarna.net has a lot of info the BT/MW universe. Every house a a sourcebook, if you can find them. Some are rather daed. Much info regarding more current events can be found in the books about the various wars. Every house has strengths and weakness/faults. It is just a matter of finding the best fit for one's personality.

Generally:

Davions are molded on the lines of Britain with a strong constitutional monarchy. Most of the lore paints them as the "good" guys. Their military is the strongest and most balanced focused on combined arms tactics. Theirs is the leading realm in unlocking new/lost tec due to the Nais and the Helm core. They respect the Combine although they have not forgiven thee Kuritas for the Kentares IV massacre of the long past. The Fedsuns HATE the Confederation with an intensity that borders on insanity.

Lyrans are the German businessmen of the IS. Their main goal is to make more money, and their soluyion to any problem is to throw money at it. "Bigger is better" is their philosophy. Well equipped and well trained, their military is hampered by the tendency of their generals to be given their postions due to social standing. They are getting better due to the alliance/union with the Fedsuns.

Kurita is the "warrior society" of the IS with a culuture based on fuedal Japan. Theirs is a tightly structured society with the mechwarrior at the top but expecting complete obedience to one's superiors without question. They do not like the Lyrans due too that house's philosophy. They have a long fued with the Davions. Currently they are allied with the Confederation and the FWL. There is currently a distrust of mercs present in the Combine.

Raasal hague is a new nation formed from Combine and Lyran worlds. They fought for centuries for their freedom and trust neither of their nieghbors. They have a hatred of mercenaries due to incidents in their early days as a nation.

The Capelleans have been cast as the "bad guys" in most of the lore, and you will find discussions of the same on their house site. Based on the Chinese empires of old Earth, they are a tightly structured sociey. The core worlds are very intense in their idenity as Capelleans. There are elments of Russian and Scots culture as well. They are survivors. Much of the "bad guy" image is from the element of insanity that runs thru the lead house, the Liaos. They hate the Fedsuns and the FWL, although the creation of the FEDCOM has forced them into an uneasy allience with the latter. (and the Combine).

The Free World League is the oldest nation and still the most unsettled. It is actually a confederation with many different types of worlds and areas contesting with a relatively weak central government . The Mariks are the leading house but have a fairly weak grasp on the areas that make up the League. There have been many civil wars and disagreements over the course of the nation. The FWL loves to fight the Lyrans and actually hates the Capelleans, even though the FWL is now allied with them and the Kruitas against the Fedcoms.

The Mercs are the wild cards in the universe. Some have very close ties with one house. Some will only work for 2 or 3 houses depending ontheir take of the houses "moralit and honesty". Others will go where the money is without regard for anything else.

There is something for everybody in the BT/MW universe. Hopes this helps as a down and dirty explanation of the houses.

#35 William Petersen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostCharles Martel, on 08 March 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

So, how did that little act of aggression in 3039 work out for the FedCom?

Hanse Davion got a much needed lesson in humility courtesy of Theodore.

That lesson's materials were provided by ComStar... I wouldn't be *too* proud about repelling an attack with superior material that was handed to you. That's like a Clansman getting pompous about repelling an IS counter-attack in the early days of the invasion.

Also, RE: Dsestruction of the Falcon Guard,

Goading clansmen into a ravine and detonating the walls in around them is neither honurable nor 'badass'. It's sound tactics, and exploitation of an enemy's pride and assumptions, and that's all fair in war, but it is not 'badass'. Now, if he'd personally dueled the whole of the Falcon Guard and defeated/killed every one of their soldiers that way, that would be badass.

#36 Regina Redshift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 281 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

View PostJoseph Calvert, on 07 March 2012 - 09:38 AM, said:

ALL of the houses have skeletons in their closets(some more than others). All of them have done dirty deeds at one point in their history.

And the mercs did them dirt cheap.

AC/DC references aside, almost every merc organization has been used as a bludgeon or a proxy or a scapegoat.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users