173 replies to this topic

#21 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostRoflberry Pwncakes, on 04 July 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

You know, I really hate to belittle good artwork. Cause this is good, but I've got issues with it. The problem I'm having with this take on the appearance for a Locust, is it didn't make me go "O HEY! It's a Locust!". Instead, it made me go "O HEY! It's a Jenner II-C!". I know the Phoenix Locust can't look like a Locust (or at least can't look enough like one that Harmony Gold, or whoever owns them takes notice), but c'mon... you had to have better idears than just robbing the lines from a Jenny II-C and calling it a Locust. Just because liquid is dripping on me and I'm getting wet, don't mean It's raining.

I picked it strait away, the locust was like a bubble with a massive gun torrent so its not surprising they took it in a vary different direction.

#22 Morang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationHeart of Darkness

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

"O HEY! It's a Jenner II-C!".

More like Locust IIC.

#23 Shiro Matsumoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 492 posts
  • Locationon "The island"

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

i guess, it wil be the size of a Cicada or so... and then, well... yes i hope its maximally as large as a Commando... but i guess it wont be...i always thought a Locust as quite longlegged... Lets see... i hope it gets is niche..

#24 Badgerpants

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:37 AM

All Hail (and FEAR) the Mighty Ankl Bitr!

Edited by Badgerpants, 05 July 2013 - 02:06 AM.

#25 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:09 AM

You know, I really hate to belittle good artwork. Cause this is good, but I've got issues with it. The problem I'm having with this take on the appearance for a Locust, is it didn't make me go "O HEY! It's a Locust!". Instead, it made me go "O HEY! It's a Jenner II-C!". I know the Phoenix Locust can't look like a Locust (or at least can't look enough like one that Harmony Gold, or whoever owns them takes notice), but c'mon... you had to have better idears than just robbing the lines from a Jenny II-C and calling it a Locust. Just because liquid is dripping on me and I'm getting wet, don't mean It's raining.

It can't look like the original Locust; mainly for legal reasons, but also for a very simple technical reason: The original locust doesn't have a waist.

If you haven't noticed, all MWO 'mechs have waists. Below the waist is the legs, above is the torso - and the waist is needed for torso twist.

The original Locust had its hips where the shoulders are on a humanoid 'mech, and didn't have anything below the CT:

Posted Image

That 'mech probably can't even be modelled in MWO, even if they could use it legally.

I actually find myself liking the new Locust, even though I didn't at first glance. It's very MWO.

#26 Volt Corsair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 203 posts
  • LocationOutpost, Periphery (HPG down)

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:09 AM

View PostRAGE PRO, on 04 July 2013 - 07:18 PM, said:

spider 5k destroy him, if locust not get cheat hitboxes. P.S. Waste of money(20$)

You, sir, underestimate the power of the Locust.

#27 Monsoon

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationToronto, On aka Kathil

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:37 AM

View PostVolt Opt Construct, on 05 July 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

You, sir, underestimate the power of the Locust.

And I think he underestimates just what he'd be getting for 20 bucks. 3 mechs one of which is a hero mech & 3 mech bay slots, plus 30 days premium time if you get it before July 25th. The 3 mech bay slots alone would cost ~5 dollars, so you'd be paying essentially 5 dollars for each of the lights. Not the worst way of spending your cash.

#28 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

the new MWO Locust looks tough, wonder if 4 machine gun, 1 large pulse is possible,Posted Image

#29 Carrioncrows

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

There was no FLUFF Story!

So I wrote one.

=)

------------------------------------------------------------
Alysen could feel sweat trickling down her back and despite the cooling vest it was beginning to be stifling in her Locust’ Cockpit and if it was possible for someone to see her that would of found it odd as Her Locust was exactly where It needed be, idling behind cover midst the frozen landscape of rubble and ice.

The waiting always got to her.

She checked her readouts for the hundredth time checking her position and that of Lancemates. If it wasn't for the strict order to maintain radio silence she would dial up her lancemates with her own personal version of “Are we there yet?” but unable to do so she was stuck to fidgeting within the cockpit’s electronics, checking and rechecking.

Posted Image

The frustration was beginning to get to her.

...wait.

She paused.

She could feel it, softly at first but then with gradual intensity, the “thoom Thoom THoom” of heavy footfalls, Footfalls that could only be that of another Battlemech, multiple Battlemechs at that.

She specifically chose this cover among the buildings so that if the enemy mounted MAG-Scan the would be unable to differentiate the metal of her mech from the metal in the buildings around her so she knew her cover was nearly total. This particular area was one of the few passes capable of supporting an major advance by heavy mechanized and Battlemech forces which meant it was only a matter of time before the enemy advanced through the area and all she had to do is wait for them to come to her.

-THOom THOOm THOOM-

Her heart skipped a beat. It was time.

She rammed the throttle forward and her Locust rocketed out behind the cover turning, aiming to drive her locust between the enemy’s lance.

Surprise was Total.

A Battlemaster, Hunchback, and two other mechs she couldn't see seemed to do a stutter step as their pilots fought to react and track her Locust.

Alysen smiled viciously

She rotated to the left still accelerating and cut lose with her center torso mounted medium laser and arm mounted machine guns slashing the Battlemaster’s torso with the laser and pocketing the mech with a torrent of incoming shells.

The Battlemaster tried in vain to turn to bring its weapons to bear rotating its torso and turning.

“Too late!” she laughed has her locust dove behind the Battlemaster and put a building between her and the hunchback as enemy lasers went wide unable to track Her.

Now to goad the bull” Alysen thought.

She slammed her throttle’s to zero and then engaged reverse causing the Locust to skid to a halt ploughing furrows into the Icy landscape as the mech fought for traction to stop and then to reverse just enough to get an angle on the Battlemaster.

The Battlemaster was beginning to turn back to its original heading when Alysen’s medium laser struck it in its right rear torso and sent a torrent of shells hammering into the mech. She knew the Hunchback was close and if the Hunch cleared the building it would be fatal for her but she needed to make a point as she kept up a continuous stream of shells on target. The Battlemaster no doubt annoyed came to a full stop and began to turn to give Alysen its full attention. Alysen que’d her communications.

“Boomer, Flashfire, Crocker, Hook set.” She said into her Coms. She slammed the throttle forward and leaned forward to fight the G forces as her Locust caught traction screaming upwards of 120kph in only a few moments.

She regretted that she didn't have time stay and watch but she knew what was about to happen. Her Lancemates Boomer, Flashfire and Crocker just walked out of cover to pour fire into the Battlemaster, the Battlemaster that turned in an attempt to track her now had its Rear Arc facing directly at her Lancemate’s Highlander, Jagermech and Blackjack.

The Locust cockpit no longer felt stifling, it felt more like a second skin.

Alysen laughed as she heard her lancemates open up with an avalanche of fire.

Edited by Carrioncrows, 05 July 2013 - 11:54 PM.

#30 Mokou

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 417 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:18 AM

Of course turret-like mounted laser cant move like turret...

#31 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:48 AM

its just another jenner, or looks like.

#32 Wieland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 755 posts
  • LocationKitzingen, Bolan Province, Protectorate of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:49 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 04 July 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

If you have requests for future shots (we're bringing the Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and Battlemaster art up soon, no worries), let us know!
Cheers,
The MechWarrior Online Team

View PostOdanan, on 04 July 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Sure! Banshee.

No. Zeus. :D

#33 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:13 AM

View PostMokou, on 05 July 2013 - 04:18 AM, said:

Of course turret-like mounted laser cant move like turret...

Unless there is some limitation with the cryengine it should be pretty doable. (And quite frankly should be done, locust needs that sort of gimicky edge)

#34 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 05 July 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

Unless there is some limitation with the cryengine it should be pretty doable. (And quite frankly should be done, locust needs that sort of gimicky edge)

I can agree here, a torso-mounted turret going horizontal could have been very useful. It does appear to have a vertical turret, which might work in a way similar to what we want. But yeah, we know it won't be aiming left and right.

When they do a Marauder, I hope the torso cannon's turret can pivot and aim with the arms.

#35 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 05 July 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

shouldn't be hard at all just make it work like an arm
i recon they should make it so you can twist arms 90 digress to the side, then when you fire a group it doesn't fire the weapons in the other arm so you don't need to make more groupings. then you can protect a damaged side or just have some chance of hitting that light staying in you're blind side.

I think its going to be a viable mech with so much speed it will be the best capper and I would say the arms would be at most as high as the commando the cockpit at its chest so it would be hard to hit with chest wepons in any assault and even some of the heavy's.
I want the variant with two laser points in the chest and 2 machine guns or lasers in the arms as my main. 4X machine guns would be hard to keep focused.

Edited by Frost Lord, 05 July 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#36 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:48 AM

If the Shadowhawk is about the size of a Centurion or Trebuchet (which should work), I'm guessing the Locust is gonna be somewhere between the height of the Flea and Jenner... given it's only a 20 tons, it shouldn't be as tall as a Cicada despite their real-life insect counterparts being of roughly the same size (depending on regional species difference)... we're talking tonnage here to separate them ;) I personally love the new Phoenix artwork ;)

Edited by Grendel408, 05 July 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#37 Athalus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Looks epic, definitely one of my favorites so far!

If only we could see the other Phoenix art (nudge nudge wink wink)

#38 Moldycheese

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 32 posts
  • LocationBehind you in an ECM Jenner. Bwahaha!

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

View PostCarrioncrows, on 05 July 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

There was no FLUFF Story!

So I wrote one.  

=)

------------------------------------------------------------

Totally Awesome! Thank you.

#39 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

copy ( jenner ), paste ( new locust ), well done creative designers.

#40 Tank

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,202 posts
  • LocationSelling baguettes in K-Town

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Finally! One of my most favorite mech! And poor thing finally have textures! ;)

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users