22 replies to this topic

#1 Hammerfinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 745 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:25 PM

Hey there, Davion!

So I've been a longtime player of the MW franchise, never really got into lore. I played the TT once (with the evil twin of the Simpsons Comic Book Guys... shudder...), so I have no baggage on that end.

I just got an overlord package, and am trying to decide what faction to join. I love the "white knight" feel of the Federated Suns (Yes, I played Paladins in Diablo 2) and I am mostly Irish so the British Isles thing appeals to me. As far as I can tell, Davion is pretty much the (sometimes misguided) "good guy" faction. I can dig that.

Practically speaking, I tend to run loadouts that synergize with my mech, but not min-max FOTM cheese. I try to hold to a sportsmanship, rather than gamesmanship, code. I'm a decent pilot, not awesome, but I almost always contribute significantly to my team. I run an extremely wide and varied number of mechs. (Commando, Spider, Raven, Jenner, Centurion, Cicada, Cataphract, Catapult, Dragon, Awesome, Highlander) I try to find a role for each mech and stick to it, despite mostly pugging.

So the big question: Am I Davion?

To give perspective, I'm also looking at FRR. I like their freedom-fighter feel, and I love Nordic stuff. Just can't decide without gauging the community of each house.

#2 Private Backside

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 79 posts
  • Locationso far to the east, it's almost a some men's far west.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

the real question is - do you love junk food? maybe double quarter pounder with cheese and 2l of diet coke?

#3 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Nope.

None of the mechs you run are FS designs and absolutely none of them fills the requiresemnts for a Davion mech, which is crappy and with lots of dakka.

Stick with the FRR. :)

#4 Qin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Well drop by on the House Davion TS3 server posted on top of the forum. Meet and drop with the people there and get a feel for a part of the Davion community.

#5 Qin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:06 AM

View PostAdridos, on 05 July 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Nope.

None of the mechs you run are FS designs and absolutely none of them fills the requiresemnts for a Davion mech, which is crappy and with lots of dakka.

He is driving a Centurion so that makes him a honorary Davion allready the rest are mechs we salvage from our enemies :(

#6 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:56 AM

View PostQin, on 06 July 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

He is driving a Centurion so that makes him a honorary Davion allready the rest are mechs we salvage from our enemies :)

Centurions are Marik mechs... but I know it's hard to read up on history in a realm where literacy is only allowed to nobles and richies. :(

#7 C u j o

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:18 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 July 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Centurions are Marik mechs... but I know it's hard to read up on history in a realm where literacy is only allowed to nobles and richies. :)

http://mwomercs.com/...nturion-concept

What's that up there on the right torso ?

#8 SJ SCP Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:22 AM

You are a smoke jag. You just haven't realized it yet

#9 C u j o

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostAdridos, on 05 July 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

Nope.

It's ironic that you spelled requirements wrong. So much for literacy in Liao space.

#10 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

View PostC u j o, on 06 July 2013 - 02:18 AM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...nturion-concept

What's that up there on the right torso ?

http://camospecs.com...sonMadCat09.JPG

See that? Timby is a mech designed, created and piloted by pirates of the Periphery, obviously. :)

View PostC u j o, on 06 July 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

It's ironic that you spelled requirements wrong. So much for literacy in Liao space.

One can't be perfect when he's still studying 4 languages... those poor gals in Outback can't even speak in their native, though. :(

Edited by Adridos, 06 July 2013 - 02:29 AM.

#11 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

How much do you love ballistics/autocannons?

That's an important part of being a Davion. :)

#12 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostAdridos, on 06 July 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Centurions are Marik mechs... but I know it's hard to read up on history in a realm where literacy is only allowed to nobles and richies. :)

They are a Marik design, but absolutely in no way exclusive to House Marik, not in the least.In 3050, you won't find them more common in any house other than Davion. Just like the Trebuchet. While not originally designed in FS territory, it is nonetheless one of the most common mechs in the FS, and some of the best models are made in FS factories.

#13 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Why am I suddenly wishing the Enforcer was in the game ? :)

#14 FearTheAmish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:54 AM

Phract is also a Davion mech http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cataphract yeah gotta love DAKKA!

#15 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Amish, 1st paragraph, read (in the voice of elma phudd) vewy carefully.

[color=#000000]the Capellans designed the [/color]Cataphract[color=#000000] from spare parts they could still manufacture. Using components from the [/color]Marauder[color=#000000],[/color]Shadow Hawk[color=#000000] and [/color]Phoenix Hawk[color=#000000], they were able to field prototypes which were functional, if not aesthetically pleasing, and more importantly reproducible. Dubbed a [/color]FrankenMech[color=#000000] for its appearance,[/color][4][color=#000000] the [/color]Cataphract[color=#000000] was set to become the Confederation's standard heavy 'Mech and a limited production run had already begun when the [/color]Federated Suns[color=#000000] captured [/color]Tikonov[color=#000000] and its[/color]Cataphract[color=#000000] factory during the [/color]Fourth Succession War[color=#000000].[/color]

The phract only came to us when we took the Tikonov worlds during the 4th Succession War.

#16 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,204 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostHammerfinn, on 05 July 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

So the big question: Am I Davion?

If you got questions you are not a Davion. Fedrats are too narrow minded for philosophy.

Edited by Odanan, 07 July 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#17 FearTheAmish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

View Postchewie, on 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Amish, 1st paragraph, read (in the voice of elma phudd) vewy carefully.

The phract only came to us when we took the Tikonov worlds during the 4th Succession War.

That was during 3025 it is 3050 25 years in the future... so as of this time line yes the phract is a Fedsuns mech.

#18 Taemien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

If your enemies envy you, you are Davion for sure.

Typically Davion Mechs are one of two things: Many and En Masse (Locusts, Wasps, Stingers, Spiders, ect) or Loaded with Autocannons, mainly of the 5 and 10 variety. But what mechs a Davion pilots isn't the only thing that defines them as Hanse used a BattleMaster and so did his rival, Takashi Kurita.

Good guy thing.. that is up to whomever wrote the history and history is written by the victors. Lorewise Hanse tried to do alot of good by his nation with schools and the like, even having schools on dropships to get some education to the backwater planets. His son and successor Victor is a jock to put it nicely. Give him a mech and some clanners to fight and he's great. Politically he's not so hot, especially compared to his father. He did a {Richard Cameron} head move and tried to replace Marik's son with a double when he died of cancer just to keep the supplies coming in. Some may say it was with good intentions (to keep the clanners at bay) but Hanse wouldn't have done something like that.

And of course the out of character thing. Davion units are many and go back a long time. Units like HHoD and others have been around for almost 2 decades and are some of the nicest and most professional and sportsmanlike units you can join up with. They'll take unskilled players and make pros out of them. All while keeping a good time.

To answer your question, if you like to win, have a good time, and hang out with good players. Yes you are a Davion.

#19 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

View PostTaemien, on 08 July 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

but Hanse wouldn't have done something like that.

Just finished that book - it could be argued, but the first Victor knows of the double is when he is informed that the double is ready, and had been prepped by his father. - Victor openly struggled for a bit (could be argued only a bit) over it before deciding to trust his father and use the double.

Having said that though, I am also sitting on the fence between FRR and FS... and Hanse is one of the biggest things leaning me toward the FS.

... Just occurred to me... that makes an interesting situation with Hanse, esp considering his attitude about doubles on account of what good ol' Max Liao tried to pull.

#20 pjfontillas

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 30 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

I've heard Hanse Davion is quite good in a BattleMaster. :)

Locus and Shadow Hawk also easily fit Davion lore. I've also read of Thunderbolt pilots in Davion forces as well.

I, too, got the Overlord package and am excited in tweaking my new 'Mechs to synergize with Battle Tech lore. However, I will be reserving one BattleMaster and Thunderbolt for Kurita drops (as a merc or joint forces op) out of respect for several members of that House.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users