#41 Enigmos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,290 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Posthammerreborn, on 08 July 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Ever stop to think that your only wins are because the enemies have such large amounts of "noobs" that you were able to beat them?
Not all, but many. Since the recent influx of new players it has been either being the steamroller or standing briefly against a steamroller. It isn't that I am a great pilot, it is that it takes time to learn to pilot, aim., maneuver and these guys are being thrown into a maelstrom of metallic death without a snowball's chance of coming out of it more practiced. I think it is not the ELO to blame, it is throwing the unproven into the average by default. I say start them low and let them climb. That way they will get a taste of earned victory instead of the ashes of defeat until they rise to their natural level.

Edited by OriginalTibs, 08 July 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#42 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

You need to give solos the option to drop against teams or solos or or both. Been playing a real long while now and though the alphas and cheese builds are an issue the real problem is steam rolling. Noobs with only typed chat against teams 4 or 8 man is ridicoulous. Like going up against swat with a .22 and a box of crackers most often. Maybe that would be fine if we had the option of real 4th gen warfare like IED's a sucicide bombings but we dont. I would not mind playing the Taliban but this being palestianin in gaza needs to cease. Give us built in voice and or give solos the option of dropping solo or into teams if they wish. Problems would be far less than now.

And you team guys that think your so hot should drop solo and see how it goes. Many true team killers i come against running solo dont always fair so well when you take gang protection aways from them. Most often you see them hiding to come in late and steal kills. Carrion till the end.

#43 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostRippthrough, on 08 July 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

The matchmaker keeps dropping them with me. Then sticks a couple of premades on the other side.
Seriously, this happens way too often to me to be a coincidence, it really does try to balance a half decent team on one side with a couple of good pilots on the other and 6 newbies.

It's a ***********. Random games would be better.

Nerf your ELO, it's too high! :)

A more reasonable fix is to actually have different skill queues based on Elo groupings. The math for Elo would have to be altered by premades and their size (basically a force multiplier) and at least then it would be difficult to lump the complete newbies with the higher skilled players (other than having a premade combo of them).

Edited by Deathlike, 08 July 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#44 SgtKinCaiD

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,095 posts
  • LocationBordeaux

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

View PostOriginalTibs, on 08 July 2013 - 11:28 AM, said:

Since the recent influx of new players

LoL where did you get that info ? Do you believe some tweets ? Guess what, i just tweet I'm a billionaire ! ... /sigh
Sorry to be rude but this is not the case. Why ? Because back in march, when the MM + Elo ratings were introduced, a few of us were already ranting about the exact same situation, everybody laughed at us. And now ? You see a new thread about the MM nearly everyday ! And why this change ? Because there are less players playing the game but mark my words : i did not say they quit. I think that a lot players are waiting for several changes in the game : weapons balance, CW ,etc.

#45 Divine Madcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

I think the easier fix, is just to never put anyone driving a trial mech against any thing else but other trials, elo aside. While a good player is still risky against a noob, at least the mechs are on equal footing, and the new players have a better chance.

See, it isn't so much the ppc boat.. any customized mech is inherently better than the trial mechs (better armor, better HS, etc..). Keep the new players on even ground, and you are already on the path to a better starting experience ..

#46 Randalf Yorgen

• 1,026 posts
  • Locationwith in 3m of the exposed Arcons rear ct

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

Wipe the numbers, restore the original repair and reload cost, quadruple the cost of all after market purchases and launch the game out of Beta. IT would take a very long time before anyone had enough cash to heavily mod their mech and manage repairs on said NON STOCK mech. Then you see most people in stock frankenmechs, many of the imbalances have been applied across the entire player base and almost everyone has an equal foot hold to start. Even new players who come along after the launch would be fairly on par with a large portion of the player base and so things would be better. Oh, Hurry up PGI and institute the Arena System, that would help everyone a great deal.

#47 Funkadelic Mayhem

• Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostDivine Madcat, on 08 July 2013 - 04:53 AM, said:

What Is The Mm Doing To New Players?

Posted Image

Edited by Funkadelic Mayhem, 08 July 2013 - 05:47 PM.

#48 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

View PostFunkadelic Mayhem, on 08 July 2013 - 05:46 PM, said:

Posted Image

I don't know if I want to now that I have seen this *shudder*

#49 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Right now I wouldn't try to introduce the game to my friends, unless being fairly sure they are thickskinned enough to grind through trial mechs.

The new user experience is a disaster. Games like this have a steep learning curve even with a well thought out tutorial and introduction, getting trashed as a new player is to be expected. But here the trial mech system feels like a mockery of new players, instead of making their initial experience easier, new players are forced to play in the worst imaginable pieces of scrap against fully customized deadly builds.

I know that PGI is well aware of this, that they will provide a new player experience for launch and that the current trial mech system is just a placeholder. It's obvious they gave up on any significant overhaul to new player experience before UI 2.0 is released and I can understand that.

But if they fail to deliver the new system for launch...well... gg PGI, gg.

Edited by Kitane, 08 July 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#50 Divine Madcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

View PostKitane, on 08 July 2013 - 06:36 PM, said:

Right now I wouldn't try to introduce the game to my friends, unless being fairly sure they are thickskinned enough to grind through trial mechs.

The new user experience is a disaster. Games like this have a steep learning curve even with a well thought out tutorial and introduction, getting trashed as a new player is to be expected. But here the trial mech system feels like a mockery of new players, instead of making their initial experience easier, new players are forced to play in the worst imaginable pieces of scrap against fully customized deadly builds.

I know that PGI is well aware of this, that they will provide a new player experience for launch and that the current trial mech system is just a placeholder. It's obvious they gave up on any significant overhaul to new player experience before UI 2.0 is released and I can understand that.

But if they fail to deliver the new system for launch...well... gg PGI, gg.

The time for a working MM and tutorial was back in the beginning of OB, not a full year later. As soon as they went OB, they "launched" for most people. Sure, we know there is more to come, but we need casual players to survive... those casual players are the ones we lose every day with a lack of tutorial, or even a good starting point. New players will play a few rounds, get creamed, and move on. Its not like there isn't a good selection of better FTP games out there that are much better for new and casual players.

As for the wife. I am sure she might try it again.. but who knows. i think it would take a bit to convince her that she would have a fighting chance next time she plays...

#51 Triple8

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:55 AM

As a new player myself, I have to agree that the matchmaking in this game is pathetic. Often I can't even think of a good strategy or truly learn my mech (hunchback) because my time in the game ends so fast due to some PPC instantly disabling me, or getting ganged up on by heavy mechs. There is too much trial and error in customization for me, since the game didn't bother to walk me through it, and now I have no motivation to even start a match because I know I'll not only lose, but fail to contribute to my team in the process.

How am I supposed to enjoy this game when the environment is like this?

#52 Jimmy Page

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 145 posts
  • LocationOh1O

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:34 AM

I have introduced 8 different friends to the game. NONE of them lasted more than 2 weeks. Many are fans of older Mechwarrior titles too and have lots of MMO experience. Nobody liked getting stomped into the ground over and over with no tutorial, or help, or game chat. This should be PGI's number one issue! Your game will die without new players and this game drives them away in droves. This is also why matchmaking is getting worse because the player base is shrinking. And then you have 4 mans sync dropping to continue smashing noobs for fun driving even more away. Another six months and the player base will be about 200 people.

#53 Jungle Rhino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 579 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

View PostTriple8, on 09 July 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

As a new player myself, I have to agree that the matchmaking in this game is pathetic. Often I can't even think of a good strategy or truly learn my mech (hunchback) because my time in the game ends so fast due to some PPC instantly disabling me, or getting ganged up on by heavy mechs. There is too much trial and error in customization for me, since the game didn't bother to walk me through it, and now I have no motivation to even start a match because I know I'll not only lose, but fail to contribute to my team in the process.

How am I supposed to enjoy this game when the environment is like this?

I wish I could somehow print this post out and staple it to PGI's collective foreheads.

New players don't have a goddam chance in this game, mainly thanks to the awful default control options (arm lock and FPS throttle). Most of them don't even know to push R to target things. As a community we end up having to teach them in game - and we need to be better at that rather than complaining about new players.

This is before we even look at the F2P 'paygate' that PGI have in place. If you don't spend MC on mechs - then it takes days of losing matches to earn enough money for the necessary Endo/DHS upgrades. Not to mention the incredibly unfair skill trees. Until you have 3 mechs of the same chassis and get your basics doubled and have speed tweak - then you are basically playing with one arm tied behind your back. Don't even get me started on seismic. If you don't want to pay for the GXP conversion for that you may aswell go back to CoD.

If you want to compete as a new player then you need to buy 3 mechs with MC, grind them out to Elite with the starting XP boost. Use the starting CBills to pay for DHS/endo/XL engines and Seismic modules.and then use more MC to convert XP to GXP to upgrade to unlock the module slots.

If you don't pay you will be grinding for a month to get to that point.

Then it is approaching a fair fight, and you can start actually learning the game, mech types etc. and upskilling now that you have all the tools availalbe to the more experienced players.

#54 Tskeet

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

A few friends decided to start this new "MMO" (LOL) together and they all quit within a week. I remembered how much I liked MC2 and MW4/Merc so I was able to slog through it but I don't think you can overstate how **** this gaming experience is for a new player. You have to already be a huge fan, or have way too much free time.

#55 Para B

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

I recently tried to introduce a friend of mine to MW:O. He's a BIG MechWarrior fan but due to the "beta" thing hadn't tried it out yet.

We started playing and I showed him the basics. Had a couple of good matches. Close fights, balanced teams. But as soon as we approached prime time (euro TZ) the 8:0 and 7:1 roflstomps commenced. Out of about 15 games more than half were PUGstomps. Twice we actually faced the same 8-man team who apparently sync-dropped.

I tried to explain to my buddy that MW:O wasn't a 100% clan/organized group game and that casual players like us could actually have a lot of fun with it. That we were a bit unlucky with the matchmaker and... well, he hasn't logged into his MW:O account in two weeks...

#56 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Last night was a very poor MM experience. FIrst match was a pre-made vs my team which was all newer players.....It wasnt pretty.

#57 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:31 AM

A part of me knows after playing for months that I want it to continue to spite the founders who invested heavily in the game then fought anything that would prevent pug stomping. Watching PGI fail and those clowns lose would be justice. On anther thread a Founder made sure to let me know that PGI considers us filler for team matching. As a "Filler" I wont be spending a dime. Don't any other of you fillers spend any either.

#58 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostHomeless Bill, on 08 July 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

I disagree. Tell your wife, "look happy to listen to your concerns but your on a bit of an island there bud the game is in the best state to date..."

quoted so people who aren't enjoying the game realize that they are alone. pgi is committed to telling you how you are wrong while they get roflstomped 0-8 six times in a row in the 8man queue. please buy a phoenix package if you enjoyed this experience. i recommend the overlord tier for maximum value. however, that package is marketed towards people who don't play the game, so no problem if you aren't interested. you're the minority.

#59 Rocket Puppy

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostStoicblitzer, on 09 July 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

quoted so people who aren't enjoying the game realize that they are alone. pgi is committed to telling you how you are wrong while they get roflstomped 0-8 six times in a row in the 8man queue. please buy a phoenix package if you enjoyed this experience. i recommend the overlord tier for maximum value. however, that package is marketed towards people who don't play the game, so no problem if you aren't interested. you're the minority.

Man for someone who hates this game you sure waste a lot of time complaining about it in the forums. Maybe time to find a new hobby?

#60 buttmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

short answer- the MM is ****** them

33 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 33 guests, 0 anonymous users