System Crashing On This Game Only

7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Rook

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

For some reason this game causes my system to crash at random times. I recently upgraded my graphics card to a nvidia 650. I also upgraded my PSU from a 500W to a cougar 760. I am still crashing. It's really depressing because I have loved this game since I was a kid, playing it on maps and with the original battletech compendium. I really hope PGI fixes it's problems with this game and I can enjoy playing it again. I enjoy playing this game with my brother who also has a cougar 760 PSU and uses a nvidia 550. He never crashes but he gets random game freezes and uses the workarounds posted in other threads. What makes it most upsetting is that I bought the new GPU and PSU just to play this game and games like it and it did not fix my problem.

Edited by Johnny Rook, 08 July 2013 - 09:02 PM.

#2 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

What does it do when it crashes, goes back to mechlab and you see your mech in game still? If you check your Omicron file after an event like that, it may give you some clues. For me, it's been disconnects due to packet loss on Comcast, who peered with Tata but isn't spending the money on the necessary bandwidth. The Omicron file says this on my disconnect:

CGameRules::OnDisconnect: Client has disconnected: cause=eDC_ICMPError, desc=Remote disconnected: Unreachable address 173-163-251-102-busname.stockton.hfc.comcastbusiness.net:63795

#3 Johnny Rook

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

It's a complete computer crash. I get no error messages that pop up or anything, my computer just shuts down. Luckily, I have noticed no hardware or any other problems caused by these crashes. I have a pretty good connection with Time Warner cable, I am on a router though.
Manufacturer :MSI
Model: MS-7641
Processor: AMD FX™-6100 Six-Core Processor (3.3 Ghz )
RAM: 8 gigs
DirectX: 11
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 650
PSU: Cougar 760 watts

If anyone can help, it would be most appreciated.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:21 AM

Was it crashing before the upgrades?
When does it crash, Mech Lab/Launchpad or only during combat?
What card did you have previously?
Do you play in Full Screen or Windowed/Full Windowed mode (combat)?

#5 Johnny Rook

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Yes it was crashing before the upgrades. It crashes on pretty much anything in MWO, randomly. I was using a 610 gtx before, when we took it out it looked like a little piece of crap video card that couldn't handle much, it had a rating of 4.3 out of 10. My new rating is 7.3. I've played mostly in windowed mode.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:05 AM

Since the system shuts down and does not reboot and no BSOD it is system related and most likely heat related.
  • Are you using any programs, such as Speedfan or HWMonitor, to monitor and log tis findings?
  • Do you hear any of the fans kick up in RPM during game play?
  • Has the interior dust being cleaned up on all heatsinks, especially the CPU HS? It may be necessary to remove the fan since missing a clump of dust build up resting over one core will cause that core to overheat.
  • Are all fans running properly?

I would remove CPU and redo its thermal paste then make sure it is seated properly. Check all fans by leaving side off.
Also check motherboard for any bulging/leaking capacitors.

If this still does not fix the problem - check the event logs - Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer. Check the Application and System folders by double clicking on them - look for errors. Click Microsoft Support for help regarding the issue.

#7 Johnny Rook

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

PROBLEM FIXED!! It was heat, we monitored the CPU fan while the game was running and the fan quit running and the CPU was overheating. My brother installed a bigger heatsink and bigger fan and I played 7 games in a row without a problem. Thanks for the info Tarl Cabot.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,680 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Great to hear that y'all was able was able to resolve the issue, especially before any permanent damage was done!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users