#1 Shae Starfyre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Greetings,

I have been reading a lot of stuff on game balance, and one of the most prolific statements I hear...

I usually get 2-3 kills and 400-600 damage per match.

is this what everyone is basing their opinion on weather something is balanced or not?

Another-words, if you do not do this kind of damage, your not being effective, that your build is inferior, or that this is reason something needs to be fixed, because if you can't achieve this, something is broken?

How do you measure the effectiveness/balance of a build; is it team specific, pug specific, individual perspective specific?

How is this being played out?

#2 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

very subjective. however, there are a few builds that are objectively better than others; namely ppc+gauss or just boating ppcs. just because of the way the game works currently.

#3 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

what is your average performance across all chassis?

a good build will allow you to exceed your average.

a bad build will be well below your average.

this game is like golf, you have to benchmark against your own self and not what some 3l33t, c0mp3t1t1v3 munchkin tryh4rd tells you..

#4 Shae Starfyre

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,429 posts
  • LocationThe Fringe

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

That doesn't work for me, because I hone piloting skills with aiming on the fly and taking advantage of situation awareness...

Example: BJ-1 with 3.00 K/D ratio...no PPC...

In fact, because I do not play with PPC, LRM (unless as a single use of area support), nor Ac40 types, my K/D ratios will not help me in this matter at all.

#5 Stoicblitzer

• 1,931 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

View PostMycrus, on 09 July 2013 - 07:35 AM, said:

what is your average performance across all chassis?

a good build will allow you to exceed your average.

a bad build will be well below your average.

this game is like golf, you have to benchmark against your own self and not what some 3l33t, c0mp3t1t1v3 munchkin tryh4rd tells you..

how do you define "average performance?" look at mech stats page? that's flawed cuz if i premade 100% of the time, my k/d w/l will likely be higher than living the pug life.

#6 Unbound Inferno

• 1,168 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

Its not the damage, its the kills.

I tend to judge if I can maintain a 1 kill per death average its an ok build.

Broken ones are where you can expect 3-4 or more kills per death.

I would perceive a good player someone that can average 2-3 kills per death without resorting to abusing broken weapons.

#7 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

Performance is self defined.

Kills?
Match score?
Daaaamage?

For me its the fun factor -- did I have to display piloting and gunnery skills to get a good game?

#8 Homeless Bill

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,968 posts
  • LocationA Box Near You

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

There is no number that accurately represents my impact on the battle. If I did no damage and got ***** but drew an entire lance of theirs off into the boonies to do it, I was ultimately very successful. Because I took an entire lance out of the equation, the other seven guys should be able to steamroll.

And honestly most of it has to do with how I'm playing - not the 'mech I'm in. On bad day in a Spider, I'm halfway between meat and a wasted slot. On a good day, I've got two of them shooting at me constantly, and I finish off anyone that's cored. Maximizing your battlefield potential has far more to do with how you perform than what's mounted. Numbers are only a good indicator some of the time. I've saved the day in my Spider 5K many times, but you'd never know looking at the numbers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users