Sacrificing Head Armor?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:40 AM

I noticed that getting headshotted very, VERY rarely happens in the mechs I play, regardless of head armor (though to be fair, I play lights). As such, I tend to turn to the head when I need to drop some armor. Does anybody else do this, or am I just weird?

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:43 AM

I too use it to balance out armour to the near half ton.

I don't go below 60% of head armour though. If I need more I take it from the legs first, or non-weaponised arms.

#3 Fishhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:47 AM

Even in TT Light mechs didn't always have full head armor. I have started doing the same thing and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

#4 Arete

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 390 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

It's a calculated risk. If you really need that .5 tons of armor for something else, go ahead and try it. Sometimes you get unlycky and get instakilled by a headshot. But on the other hand, with the high pinpoint alpha meta we have right now a lucky headshot will kill you anyways :-)

#5 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:11 AM

Honestly, in all my time playing (which, to be fair, isn't as much as a lot of people here), I have been headshotted exactly once. I'll never go below 4 armor on the head, but I usually only run 5-6 if weight is an issue.

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:19 AM

Unless you're a catapult, cataphract, blackjack, or jenner you can generally get away with 4 points which is sufficient to resist a single Gauss rifle shot and a laser graze or two. An AC20 will still kill you of course, but if you're close enough for an AC20 to kill you they are aiming for center mass anyways (which is why cats, phracts, jacks, and jens can't get away with 4 points).

#7 Gigastrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

I always take 2 points off so I have just enough to survive a 30 point alpha.

#8 Avimimus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:57 PM

Please do - I truly enjoy putting a Gauss into another mech's cockpit.

That said - I tend to run around with 8-12 points of armour depending on the mech.

#9 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Honestly 18 points to max the head is such a small amount I don't even notice it. Yeah you can take off a few point but what really are you going to do with the weight? I mean even if you bring it down to 2, that is only 0.5 tons. Also if you follow that logic, you should bring the legs down to 20 armor or something because people rarely shoot the legs.

#10 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 09 July 2013 - 03:48 PM, said:

Honestly 18 points to max the head is such a small amount I don't even notice it. Yeah you can take off a few point but what really are you going to do with the weight? I mean even if you bring it down to 2, that is only 0.5 tons. Also if you follow that logic, you should bring the legs down to 20 armor or something because people rarely shoot the legs.

...You're talking to a light pilot. And a lot of times, max armor puts you in between a half ton and a full ton, so I subtract the armor from the head to break even.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users