10 replies to this topic

#1 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

This is probably a different sort of question, but I've been away from the game since roughly November due mainly to RL commitments, though part of it was due to annoyance over not gaining any performance after a complete system upgrade.

The question is if any significant performance optimizations have been done since then? I had some FPS issues running the game on my new rig, though I was able to play Planetside 2 at max settings with better results.

My Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1eTWV

Anyone have a similar rig and notice improvements over the months?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

FPS issues? What sort of FPS issues?

1. Control Panel, Power Options, Best Performance (Prevents CPU throttling)
2. Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, Power Management Mode, Prefer Max Performance (prevents GPU from dropping to a lower setting).
3. MWO Options, set to Full Windowed Mode instead of Full Screen mode (no borders). in FS mode, GPU is likely being maxed out at 100% to provide the highest FPS as possible, thus there can be a huge difference in FPS, depending on what is going on during combat. It also means the GPU will have a huge heat footprint (fans should be rev at near max also).

Going into Windowed Mode caps the MWO at 60FPS, reducing workload/heat and provides a more steady visual effect.

#3 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 09 July 2013 - 12:18 PM, said:

FPS issues? What sort of FPS issues?

1. Control Panel, Power Options, Best Performance (Prevents CPU throttling)
2. Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D settings, Power Management Mode, Prefer Max Performance (prevents GPU from dropping to a lower setting).
3. MWO Options, set to Full Windowed Mode instead of Full Screen mode (no borders). in FS mode, GPU is likely being maxed out at 100% to provide the highest FPS as possible, thus there can be a huge difference in FPS, depending on what is going on during combat. It also means the GPU will have a huge heat footprint (fans should be rev at near max also).

Going into Windowed Mode caps the MWO at 60FPS, reducing workload/heat and provides a more steady visual effect.

Just low, sub-30 FPS. Like I didn't notice much of an upgrade going from a Core 2 Duo machine rocking a GTS 250 aside from increasing the visual effects.

GPU wasn't being worked very hard according to Afterburner, so whatever it was seemed CPU-bound. I didn't have a lot of performance options set back then, I now have all power saving options killed, core-parking disabled, and the like for both CPU and GPU.

#4 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I have an fx8320@4.2GHz with an HD7950 @ 1100/1575. When my GPU is my limiting factor (quickly turning with motion blur on in combat), I usually get a minimum of 45 fps. The rest of the time I'm limited by my cpu to about 70 fps. At 4GHz I'm limited to about 60 fps so the game appears to be heavily dependent on clock rate for piledriver based systems. Since bulldozer is similar, I'm guessing an fx8150@3.6GHz would be a good deal lower still. So, my advice is to OC your cpu as much as possible and see if that helps. If you're on the stock air cooling, you should consider trying disabling some of your cores so you can get a higher clock rate to see if that helps.

#5 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 09 July 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

I have an fx8320@4.2GHz with an HD7950 @ 1100/1575. When my GPU is my limiting factor (quickly turning with motion blur on in combat), I usually get a minimum of 45 fps. The rest of the time I'm limited by my cpu to about 70 fps. At 4GHz I'm limited to about 60 fps so the game appears to be heavily dependent on clock rate for piledriver based systems. Since bulldozer is similar, I'm guessing an fx8150@3.6GHz would be a good deal lower still. So, my advice is to OC your cpu as much as possible and see if that helps. If you're on the stock air cooling, you should consider trying disabling some of your cores so you can get a higher clock rate to see if that helps.

Not on stock cooling, running an H100i closed-loop water system, but my OC ability is stunted due to the motherboard I received as a gift. I've got my processor running at just under 3.9GHz right now, my motherboard appears to be the limiting factor in my OC due to a 4+2 power phase from the research I've done on it. I did have the idea of disabling some of the modules to see about reducing the power draw and allow me to clock higher, I just haven't had time to experiment there yet. As a more permanent solution, I've got my eyes on a Sabertooth here real soon.

Thanks for the testimony though, it does give me some hope that things have improved!

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostVollstrecker, on 09 July 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Thanks for the testimony though, it does give me some hope that things have improved!

I'm afraid performance has actually gotten worse since closed beta. For example, I used to be able to hold 25 fps on my m11x R1 on minimum settings now I can't manage more than 10. So, at least on the low end things have gotten more CPU hungry.

#7 Flying Judgement

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 475 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

sadly agree its a lot worse than before i cant play a light or a brawler now.
when i use to hunt and core 3L ravens and jenners with my cicada now im happy if i can scratch them.
i use to have 24-30 on medium-low settings now i have 9 fps at best but its a gpu problem on my end i put a better graphick card in my pc just to try and it got up to 30 fps it was a werry litle difference between the 2 card.
i didnt had a single ctd since i have 2 gig ram more they are cheap.

#8 Smokeyjedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,040 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

View PostVollstrecker, on 09 July 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

Not on stock cooling, running an H100i closed-loop water system, but my OC ability is stunted due to the motherboard I received as a gift. I've got my processor running at just under 3.9GHz right now, my motherboard appears to be the limiting factor in my OC due to a 4+2 power phase from the research I've done on it. I did have the idea of disabling some of the modules to see about reducing the power draw and allow me to clock higher, I just haven't had time to experiment there yet. As a more permanent solution, I've got my eyes on a Sabertooth here real soon.

I personally use An Asus M5A97 evo, to run my fx8350@4.5(summer)-5.0ghz(winter) on H80i...........sure if I benchmark with prime95, or cinebench 11.5 in a ruthless fashion, my vrms will heat up and thermal restart........but I am asking for trouble @ that point, your board would allow a small overclock im sure.....specially if you are not after benchmark numbers it should be fine for 200-300mhz increase with little to no added voltage ....... You could try this Prifinitty 2 program I have recently stumbled upon, utilizing 8 cores made a noticeable difference to the 4 threads that MWO uses stock. I have recently made a thread about this.http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/124606-i-now-run-mwo-on-all-8-cores/page__st__20

Edited by Smokeyjedi, 11 July 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#9 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostSmokeyjedi, on 11 July 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

I personally use An Asus M5A97 evo, to run my fx8350@4.5(summer)-5.0ghz(winter) on H80i...........sure if I benchmark with prime95, or cinebench 11.5 in a ruthless fashion, my vrms will heat up and thermal restart........but I am asking for trouble @ that point, your board would allow a small overclock im sure.....specially if you are not after benchmark numbers it should be fine for 200-300mhz increase with little to no added voltage ....... You could try this Prifinitty 2 program I have recently stumbled upon, utilizing 8 cores made a noticeable difference to the 4 threads that MWO uses stock. I have recently made a thread about this.http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/124606-i-now-run-mwo-on-all-8-cores/page__st__20

Yeah, I've got it sitting around 3.88 GHz right now, but it won't go higher.

I'm new to OCing, but I've actually done a lot of looking around on my specific combo, and there is some manner of wall for the M5A97 R.20 and an FX-8150 right around 3900 MHz. Seems like the common thought is that the power phase is just not enough to handle OCing a Bulldozer in any serious fashion. I can't really complain too much, the board and proc were a gift.

The matter is largely moot now since Newegg decided to put the Sabertooth 990FX on sale this weekend, already bought it this morning. :)

#10 wickwire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • LocationIgnoring The Meta Since 2012

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:13 AM

Hey,
my performance got much better with the February 5th patch.
I think they disabled some post-processing effects back then, so that not only made the performance better but also the visuals crisper (coincidence that this was also the patch that introduced the new colors?).

#11 Vollstrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

View Postwickwire, on 15 July 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

Hey,
my performance got much better with the February 5th patch.
I think they disabled some post-processing effects back then, so that not only made the performance better but also the visuals crisper (coincidence that this was also the patch that introduced the new colors?).

Yeah, I was able to get in to play a few matches the other night, and didn't have any performance issues running around in a Cicada or anything, so it's definitely doing a lot better in my eyes. A lot of changes have been made in my absence though, that's for sure. Not used to getting splattered that badly. ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users