Japanese Battletech

11 replies to this topic

#1 Terminator98

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationRepublic of Mauritius

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:02 AM

So I came across this a year ago or so... And found it absolutely amazing.

http://www.gearsonli...ttletech/mecha/

I've always been a fan of anime and all. Although I know some people do not particularly enjoy their fantasy sometimes "over the top" styles of drawing mechs, I am particularly enamored with them.

So here I am sharing some of my favorite depictions of awesome mechs. :)

#2 ELHImp

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

As I know it's not fanart, but yeah really awesome. My head was hited like with some AC/20 shot when I first time saw it.

Edited by ELH_Imp, 04 November 2011 - 05:36 PM.

#3 theginganinja

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

They are very cool, but I'm not so sure how I feel about some of the redesigns of the 'Mechs... The Marauder, Warhammer, and Hunchback in particular don't seem at all right to me, regardless of the high quality of the art

#4 Phytochrome

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

How ironic that these designs were produced by Studio Nue, whose designs for Macross were used for many of the Unseen mechs! I really like the Stalker, and the Battlemaster has a really interesting head.

#5 Zendric

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Some are cool, others are absolutely retarded, Read: Archer, Crusader, Rifleman, Hunchback.

Actually, now that I closely examine them there is only one I could like, the Locust.

#6 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:03 PM

wow, those look great, would be good to look at for design concepts.

#7 Hebdomas

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 155 posts
  • Locationoutside Seattle, WA

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

They're interesting, but in my opinion they're too over done and almost extravagant. They look like works of art, not killing machines. What I like about the battletech mechs, the brutalism and nitty gritty aspects are completely lacking. I could see them as their own line, but not battletech.

#8 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

View PostHebdomas, on 05 August 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

They're interesting, but in my opinion they're too over done and almost extravagant.

They are Japanese mecha versions of Battletech's western mechs... nothing else to it, really.

#9 Overkill C7

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Most of those look really good. I especially like the Locust. Some however look like they'd be stumble'n over their massive feet. :) This version of the Crusader is "unique". All those missile launchers in the noggin.

#10 Calon Farstar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 189 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAt Sea

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

View PostZendric, on 04 November 2011 - 03:17 PM, said:

Some are cool, others are absolutely ********, Read: Archer, Crusader, Rifleman, Hunchback.

Actually, now that I closely examine them there is only one I could like, the Locust.

Yeah the Locust isnt much diffrent than alot of earlier drawings I have seen of it.

#11 t Khrist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 656 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Mitten

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:48 AM

Thanks for the cool link. I'm a huge fan of anime and especially the Mecha genre. Needless to say a lot of these are pretty awesome. I particularly like the Spider, Locust, and Commando. I do agree that quite a few are over the top, like the Crusader and Marauder, and just goofy looking, like the Archer and Dragon, even for Japanese Mech art. It's interesting to see how the old TT looked in Japan.

Edited by t Khrist, 06 August 2013 - 07:39 AM.

#12 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostAdridos, on 05 August 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

They are Japanese mecha versions of Battletech's western mechs... nothing else to it, really.

Well except being Japanese versions of Japanese mecha more specifically, with tiny western edits.

Always thought it was sort of funny that someone went to the trouble of making legally distinct versions of the mechs but no collaboration to use them outside of Japan was ever made. Doubt they would have looked so anime if that happened but seems like a wasted effort since Studio Nue was responsible for some of the original popular designs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users