King Crab

342 replies to this topic

#101 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

QQ comes with every mech. Every mech is OP/gimped. Every weapon is OP/gimped. Teamwork is OP/gimped.

It would be nice to have another 100 ton assault.
They should bring the crab as well, give us another 50 ton medium.

#102 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

Sure. Won't complain if they do, just can't wait to hear all the complaining when whether it's not the "God Mode" mech people wanted to cheez from, or the even bigger amount i it IS the God Mode mech.....

As for me, not the same team, but I just want some more frikking maps already. And for Tourmaline to not be so heavily weighted. Jeez.

#103 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 12 July 2013 - 07:41 AM, said:

Also, PGI would need to program a way to have split crits, either allowing split crits only on a Mech that did per record sheet variant, or simply programming it for any of the weapons that were allowed to split crit per the rules. They said something along the lines of no 'split crit,' but that just means they haven't thought of a way or even experimented with programming it in the Mech Lab. If they can program it, then that's another PLUS for keeping the Mech Lab true to build rules.

Remember, 2x AC/20's on a King Crab has the disadvantage of limited movement of its arms, since the weapon also spills into the torso's. Since they wanted to keep the hands on the design, which also has the unique look of the gun itself stored inside the claws, that's why the gun is split. If it ran out of ammo, it could still use its hands. And split critting between the arm and torso is the equivalent of having a lower arm actuator removed, with limited horizontal arm movement. Certain weapons even require split criticals like Arrow IV, since the IS version takes up 15 critical slots.

If they don't want to split criticals, they can still use the "remove actuator" approach for now. They could even add some place holder item in the torso crit slots, kind of how the command console was a fixed, non-removable item in the Atlas DDC during Closed Beta.

I want the King Crab. If not that, at least the Crab, simply because it looks so different from most of the current mechs.

#104 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Why do people think the King Crab would be a good mech? 2 AC/20s, and an LRM10, is it? If I recall correctly it only has 1 ton of ammo for each as well. It'll be slow as fajita, have no ammo and torsos larger than the maps. It might well be the worst assault if it were added. It is with this reasoning I believe it should be added to the game because I will be the only one driving it. Oh, and Ivanzypher. We'll both be brothers in claws.
The crab would also be more than acceptable. Especially if it looks like the one in Alex's sketch.

PGI, make it so!

#105 blacklp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Stock, yes it is limited. Who runs stock mechs?

#106 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

View Postblacklp, on 15 July 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

Stock, yes it is limited. Who runs stock mechs?

It's called nightmare difficulty!

#107 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:03 AM

View PostJames Warren, on 14 July 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

the missile door key should make the claws open and close

Oh ... I fully support this most wonderful idea. :)

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 15 July 2013 - 05:45 AM, said:

I just think it is funny that almost EVERYTHING the community is complaining about, will be made worse by an A/C40 King Crab and people STILL want it LOL.

Such as...
"A/C40 is Cheese"
"There are too many Assaults"
"PPC/Gauss is everywhere" (Will be the weapon of choice to deal with the short range of KC)

The mech looks awesome, but I still feel an A/C40 or dual Gauss Assault is a mistake. PGI would be best to leave this one alone. None of the arguments for how it WOULDN'T be overpowered can't sway me.

Besides, if you want this mech so bad, why would you want one severely limited?

I don't want it limited. I just don't care about its power or absence thereof, my stance is a different one than power and being OP. I want it because I love it and because it adds variety. If it is underpowered ... even better. I will be even more proud riding it into battle.

#108 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostLt XKalibur, on 15 July 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Why do people think the King Crab would be a good mech? 2 AC/20s, and an LRM10, is it? If I recall correctly it only has 1 ton of ammo for each as well. It'll be slow as fajita, have no ammo and torsos larger than the maps. It might well be the worst assault if it were added. It is with this reasoning I believe it should be added to the game because I will be the only one driving it. Oh, and Ivanzypher. We'll both be brothers in claws.
The crab would also be more than acceptable. Especially if it looks like the one in Alex's sketch.

PGI, make it so!

2 AC20s, an LRM15 and a Large Laser,technically.

And light armor for it's size.

Best part, is to "improve" on that, would likely necessitate an XL.... which will go soooooooo nice in those huge side torsos.

DHS will help SOME, but each weapon has 1 ton of ammo, which needs to be triple, at least. If one keeps the LRMs (or adds to them) then Artemis will be needed. It's single Energy point... what... upgrade to ER PPC?

With the Heat and Ammo and Armor demands on the this game, the KGC can be made to work, but it will likely not be in any way recognizable as a KGC.

And I'll be honest...I don't get the whole adding a mech just to cookie cutter build it for the current metarape. I desire mechs that can function well largely just by improving the existing blueprint.

#109 Radiant Mass

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hail to the KING (and queen, and jester) :

Posted Image
(added some flair to the original image for the KGC's sake. Original props to Alex)

The last two "IS" mechs that really deserve to get in.

#110 theta123

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Also notice the Spy-crab for comparision

#111 MajorLeeHung

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 392 posts
  • LocationMerced, CA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Yes x10

#112 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

2 AC20s, an LRM15 and a Large Laser,technically.

And light armor for it's size.

Best part, is to "improve" on that, would likely necessitate an XL.... which will go soooooooo nice in those huge side torsos.

DHS will help SOME, but each weapon has 1 ton of ammo, which needs to be triple, at least. If one keeps the LRMs (or adds to them) then Artemis will be needed. It's single Energy point... what... upgrade to ER PPC?

With the Heat and Ammo and Armor demands on the this game, the KGC can be made to work, but it will likely not be in any way recognizable as a KGC.

And I'll be honest...I don't get the whole adding a mech just to cookie cutter build it for the current metarape. I desire mechs that can function well largely just by improving the existing blueprint.

As do I, as do I. I agree with everything you said in that post Bishop, and I just don't give a toss. The king crab is one of the most epic looking mechs out there (next to the urbanmech!), and as I've always said: There's no point killing dying if you don't do it in style!
I hate the boating mentality of the current meta - how everything is all PPC-Gauss boating and shizzle. I much prefer to stick to the essence of the mech's standard loadout; lasers on my TDK, my HBK-4G has 3MLs and an AC/20 (plus upgrades), my ilya is all ACs and lasers, and the only change to my Dragon Slayer weapon-wise is there's an LRM10 in place of the SRM, and the PPC is an ER one. We won't talk about my 1xERPPC/1xSRM2 COM-2D
I find the game much more fun with variety in your mechs, and isn't that why we play this game?
Bring on the queerer mechs! That's what I say!

#113 Herodes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Amen to that.

#114 Ragnar Darkmane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 459 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostLt XKalibur, on 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

As do I, as do I. I agree with everything you said in that post Bishop, and I just don't give a toss. The king crab is one of the most epic looking mechs out there (next to the urbanmech!), and as I've always said: There's no point killing dying if you don't do it in style!
I hate the boating mentality of the current meta - how everything is all PPC-Gauss boating and shizzle. I much prefer to stick to the essence of the mech's standard loadout; lasers on my TDK, my HBK-4G has 3MLs and an AC/20 (plus upgrades), my ilya is all ACs and lasers, and the only change to my Dragon Slayer weapon-wise is there's an LRM10 in place of the SRM, and the PPC is an ER one. We won't talk about my 1xERPPC/1xSRM2 COM-2D
I find the game much more fun with variety in your mechs, and isn't that why we play this game?
Bring on the queerer mechs! That's what I say!

This.

#115 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 July 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

Yup. The QQing will come in one of two ways..........

1 ) OMG!!! How did PGI EFF up the art and hit boxes so bad! Why does Alex make everything into a brick?!?!?!?! And hey, the art show elbows, I'm calling BS my AC20s don't have lateral movement!! (etc, etc, etc from the PGI can do no right crowd)

2) OMG!!! That thing has 2 Gauss AND PGI (naturally will add extra hardpoints) let it be able to carry 2 ER PPC AND LRMS!?!?!?!? That mech is OP! Good job PGI, glad you are so great at balance... (further raging and tooth gnashing)

Or 6xUAC5. I'll pit that against an AC40 crab any day.

A 4xUAC5 Yager can utterly shred just about anything standing before it... And not much else when it runs out of ammo after the first kill. Or takes a shot from anything other than an MG to its paper thin armour. Or is out-manouvered by anything faster than an atlas. Imagine the torrents of tears when you can viably mount 4+ of them. Everyone will have crabs, and they won't have had to visit Thailand.

Balancing hardpoints... Is a bit of a nightmare for PGI, I imagine.

And yet I still want it.

#116 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

View Post0okami, on 14 July 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

I dont see what the fuzz is about...

Posted Image

Yours isn't armed!

Posted Image

#117 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

World of armored seafood.

Kaiju?

Where is Godzilla when you need him. Oh, wait, we have that too!

Posted Image

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 15 July 2013 - 06:32 PM.

#118 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 15 July 2013 - 08:00 AM, said:

2) OMG!!! That thing has 2 Gauss AND PGI (naturally will add extra hardpoints) let it be able to carry 2 ER PPC AND LRMS!?!?!?!? That mech is OP! Good job PGI, glad you are so great at balance... (further raging and tooth gnashing)

Stalkers can mount ER PPCs and LRMs..........or was that part of your point? People just whine? :)

Let me just say this,

I do not spend real money on normal mechs. Sorry, I just don't. I may spend some money on premium time to grind cbills to buy regular mechs faster.......but never drop real cash on something I can buy (eventually) with Cbills.

That said, if they bring the King Crab I will gladly slap down real money for one normal variant and a Hero version, the 3rd I will buy with CBills. LOL

Seriously, all the arguments about if it will and how it will be useful are immaterial. The point here is can PGI make money off it, will people buy it? I think the resounding answer is yes, yes they can.

Maybe give it a variant with dual AMS? :lol:

#119 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostThumper3, on 15 July 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Stalkers can mount ER PPCs and LRMs..........or was that part of your point? People just whine? :)

Let me just say this,

I do not spend real money on normal mechs. Sorry, I just don't. I may spend some money on premium time to grind cbills to buy regular mechs faster.......but never drop real cash on something I can buy (eventually) with Cbills.

That said, if they bring the King Crab I will gladly slap down real money for one normal variant and a Hero version, the 3rd I will buy with CBills. LOL

Seriously, all the arguments about if it will and how it will be useful are immaterial. The point here is can PGI make money off it, will people buy it? I think the resounding answer is yes, yes they can.

And ECM. Make it doubly immune to missiles, and able to swat at anything that gets past the bubble.

#120 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

View PostThumper3, on 15 July 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Let me just say this,

might be the first chassis to need TRIPLE AMS........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users