Mechwarrior 4 First Time Player (So my body is ready for MWO)

27 replies to this topic

#21 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

View PostLuke Garrad, on 10 June 2012 - 02:02 PM, said:

Heyy guys.

Started Playing Mechwarrior 4 as I'm new to the series. I need some help and tips for a begineer. And also how you guys first learned the controls and all. So far I love the game and all But Im having a lot of trouble being able to renember the controls and which button does which. Anyone know any better control schemes or something I can print off to help me with it. Thanks

Based on what we know, MWO is using a free reticle system like the one used in MW3. MW4 used a fixed reticle system. They behave differently. In a free reticle system, you'll definitely want to go mouse. The following buttons were the most important in MW4 and I suspect they will be in MWO. How/where you map them is entirely up to you:
  • Weapons group 1
  • Weapons group 2
  • Weapons group 3
  • Toggle zoom window
  • Fire jump jets
  • Toggle radar active/passive
  • Target enemy under reticle
  • Target next enemy
I'm using a Razer Naga Hex mouse. It has 6 big buttons on the side so I'll be able to fit most of my important functions on the mouse.

Edited by GaussDragon, 10 June 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#22 Namwons

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 546 posts
  • LocationFactory, Solaris VII

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Heyy guys.

Started Playing Mechwarrior 4 as I'm new to the series. I need some help and tips for a begineer. And also how you guys first learned the controls and all. So far I love the game and all But Im having a lot of trouble being able to renember the controls and which button does which. Anyone know any better control schemes or something I can print off to help me with it. Thanks

stock controls are nothing like a regular FPS or what MWO will have (i dont know how i ever played back in the day with stock controls to be honest) my controls i change to for more FPS style is:
throttle up: W
throttle down: S
turn left: A
turn right: D
0% throttle: X
zoom: Z
center legs to torso: C
nearest enemy: E
next enemy:Q
toggle radar active/passive: R
jump jets: space bar

mouse: torso control
fire weapon group 1: Lmouse
fire weapon group 2: Rmouse
fire weapon group 3: Cmouse
next weapon: scroll wheel up
previous weapon: scoll wheel down

that should help and make it more FPS style and easier to use

Edited by Namwons, 10 June 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#23 Southern Taxi

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationBehind your Mech.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Heyy guys.

I'm on the same boat here. I just changed the movement controls to my usual wasd, the most important keys next to that and mouse for torso movement.
I've been going up on weight classes asap to have a little more resistance and being able to actually focus on learning how to move, shoot and learning the different kinds of weapons.
Now i'm starting to go down on my weight classes to find the one that suits me (I loved Awesome, Catapult, Loki and Zeus, but I'm struggling to find a mid and low that fits me).

Good luck.

View PostGaussDragon, on 10 June 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

Based on what we know, MWO is using a free reticle system like the one used in MW3. MW4 used a fixed reticle system. They behave differently. In a free reticle system, you'll definitely want to go mouse. The following buttons were the most important in MW4 and I suspect they will be in MWO. How/where you map them is entirely up to you:
  • Weapons group 1
  • Weapons group 2
  • Weapons group 3
  • Toggle zoom window
  • Fire jump jets
  • Toggle radar active/passive
  • Target enemy under reticle
  • Target next enemy
I'm using a Razer Naga Hex mouse. It has 6 big buttons on the side so I'll be able to fit most of my important functions on the mouse.

I use Prev/Next Group instead of that.

Edited by Southern Taxi, 10 June 2012 - 04:06 PM.

#24 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

View PostNamwons, on 10 June 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

stock controls are nothing like a regular FPS or what MWO will have (i dont know how i ever played back in the day with stock controls to be honest) my controls i change to for more FPS style is:

hmm, my figureitive " W " (" R ") makes me reverse/forwards while my " S " (" F ")stops me fully, my mouse wheel takes my throttle with forward being max and rearward being 25% or 30% or something, but walking speed, and pressing it in is zoom, so i can followup with four weapon buttons on my mouse, while my space-bar usually carries missiles.

IMO this config is good for my long range engagements because the keys are along side one another and seem to give me less to think about in combat, right click is usually my primary long range weapons because my finger does not leave that part of the mouse when i zoom, following with the side keys with more limited or varied depending on range or heat buildup.

also, not sure if i mentioned but you should take note here and also change your radar range to radar off, (" R " is range where " CTRL + R " is active/passive ) if you end up actually using the limited range function, then maybe swap it around because surely you'll want to ping your radar more often then you'll be changing the range that you see, radar is a big part of the fight in MW4.

(not the radar's actual active range, just what you get to see.)

#25 Chunkymonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 657 posts
  • LocationReady to make war on Romano Liao for the true chancellor, Candace Allard-Liao

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Either way you can change the controls in both games so go ahead and get used to the controls, not the mechs though.....stupid mektek.

#26 Aleksander Storm

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 67 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostNamwons, on 10 June 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

Pretty similar to my usual config. I think the only major difference might have been using right-click for zoom, and shifting the fire weapon groups 2 and 3 to the 4th and 5th mouse buttons (back-forward browser controls, otherwise). I generally don't use the 3rd (center) mouse button on the mouse wheel, since I just have a hell of a time dealing with mouse wheel buttons, especially if I'm trying to just click it and avoid using the actual mouse wheel function, which might mess me up something bad in a game.

View PostSouthern Taxi, on 10 June 2012 - 04:03 PM, said:

I use Prev/Next Group instead of that.

I personally prefer the direct group-fire methods, since I'd rather just fire if the opportunity presented itself, instead of take an extra moment to switch to the right group and potentially miss the opportunity. Again, just my preference. Just seems more efficient to me.

#27 GHQCommander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:43 PM

Figuring it out is all part of the fun.

If you got money you may want to keep your eye out for the MechWarrior Online keyboard coming, has joystick and a screen with map+rader. Concept but I can't see it not being made.

#28 Spartan1313

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationontario, canada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

I went back to MW4 so i can get used to the guns and stuff. Also when i played it back in the day i had unlimited ammo and no heat. Now im redoing the game without those and wow talk about a challenge. Guess i need the practice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users