Starsiege

20 replies to this topic

#1 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons, Mars

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

Posted Image Hey there Duster, remember me?

Who else used to play this awesome game over a decade ago? Sure the Earth/Starsiege series started as something of a shamless Battletech rip-off (Metaltech: Earthsiege), but that didn't stop it from being just as fun as the Mechwarrior series, in my opinion.

Remember those TWO awesome booklets that came with the game? Chock full of background information and game statistics, enough to nearly rival some Battletech supplements? Man, video games just don't have the same awesome swag these days.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Starsiege is some of my fondest gaming memories as a teen. Could be tough as nails too, I never did beat the Cybrid campaign and I felt terrible when I finished a Human mission once only to realize my oldest, most favorite wingman "Sax" had been killed at some point without me realizing it. I dare say I love it more than I do Mechwarrior (and I loved Mechwarrior 3). Hence my immediate choice for user name in Mechwarrior Online.

So any other old time fans out here? And remember, FREE MARS!

Posted Image

#2 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,339 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Man... starsiege... do you know if this game will run on modern OS at all? I haven't played in years, and I really do miss it.

#3 Fabe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

I wasn't able to play any of those games when they first came out but I'm hoping that hey get added to Good old game's catalog.

#4 Elysion

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I was walking down the isle at target, looking at the PC games. I saw a box with some kind of star man guy on it and picked it up.
It was HEAVY! So i bought it. I played it right up untill there was only one active server.

Still my favorite game of all time.

Edited by Elysion, 10 June 2012 - 04:13 PM.

#5 MrHacknslash

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationCrazy Town

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:26 PM

Earthsiege 2....
My first game featuring giant robots. How nostalgic... :P

#6 SaiVanas

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

Dusters and emancipators. Knights and basilisks. Cybrids and adjudicators.
Harabec and Phoenix. Imperials and Blood Eagle. Bioderms and freedom.

Starsiege, Tribes, Tribes 2... thank you Dynamix for all you have given to the games' industry during its frontier days. Your legacy is eternal.

#7 Megaton

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'd almost forgotten that title. I fondly remember it. Still like the Mechwarrior series more though.

#8 Elysion

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

You are a space samurai and you do not appreciate the skillfull mastery of toe shots?

#9 Red October911

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMTL,Quebec

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:13 PM

Oh man one of the most under appriciated games of all times saddly. I'm surprised ppl still remember this game you guys are the only ones i've met ever since I stopped playing SS like 15-16yrs ago.

This was one of the, if not, the best campaign in a game that i've ever played. I don't remember of the individual missions but I do remember that I too was nver able to complete the cybrid campaign (da*n Harabec's Pred was tough as nails whth his nano armor XD).

The multiplayer was out of this world. The best were the war-like maps where you had to get kills then scan little floating balls to purchase defenders/upgrade your base etc. Also AI Generator was hours of fun when the servers were quiet.

I still remember the day that starseige died. I remember that the year b4 it happened, I had a computer problem and never bothered re installing SS and then I suddenly wanted to play again for good times sakes. I redownloaded it and was heading to the multiplayer servers only to notice that they were pretty much empty and that they never got full again...Worst day of my life -.- (or second worst 1st being the time my mac broke along with MW 2 Titanium edition...)

Anyways it's nice to finally see ppl who actually remember the game (you should check out my brother, he's loved that game even more than i do (since I prefer MW to starsiege, but only slightly) and he usually names himself IceHawk or pretty much anything-Hawk i.e. in these forums he's called SwagHawk...don't ask, he's just special that way XD)

And remember: Giver//of//Will loves you! :3

P.S. just for you OP: I found my thrillllll...onnnnn blueberryyyy hillllll...(thought I prefered his final words (not that I wanted him dead I just found it funny)) Welll Sh*tt....
P.P.S I prefered Cannon over Harabec imho his Basilisk was 10 shades of awesome :P

Edited by Red October911, 10 June 2012 - 08:35 PM.

#10 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:16 PM

Glad to see others remember this game. As for if it works with Windows 7, I don't know, my discs are still around here somewhere, but pretty badly scratched up unfortunately.

I, too, hope Starsiege and its predecessors come to GoG one day.

#11 Atlas3060

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 661 posts
  • LocationFederated Suns

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

I read the initial post all in Mark Hamill's voice so yeah I remember B)

#12 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

That universe was co-developed by FASA, as far as I know. So it's like Battletech's cousin. B)

But the real + of that franchise is the fact it made Tribes. ;)

#13 Harabec Weathers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:18 AM

As far as I am aware, only the first Earthsiege game was developed in cooperating with FASA. The rest were pure Dynamix.

#14 EyeOne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,488 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCockpit, Stone Rhino

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:28 AM

I played it but I wouldn't call it awesome. I played Earthsiege 400 times, and then when the expansion came out I played it 400 times, and then when Earthsiege 2 came out I played it probably 500 times. But Starsiege was a completely different animal. Different controls, different game mechanics and they changes the lore significantly from the previous titles. While the others were fantastic Starsiege was merely ok.

I did play the crap out of the multiplayer and at the time I liked it, but the taste has become bitter in my mouth. Earthsiege 2 was the gold standard ES game. That being said I'd play StarSiege over MechAssault any day of the week.

I also played the Cyberstorm games (ES turn based stategy). I love CS1.

Edited by EyeOne, 13 June 2012 - 09:33 AM.

#15 SaiVanas

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

There was an official, but cancelled mod called Starsiege 2845.
It had a playable alpha release and featured the goad, emancipator, and a few new HERCs.
Was intended to be both single player, featuring story from Blake Hutchins (a name to know back then), and combined arms multiplayer for 64.

Here's the alpha tech trailer.

Here's an archive of the vehicles and weapons.
http://legacy.the-ju...cles-ss2845.php
http://legacy.the-ju...pons-ss2845.php

Enjoy.

#16 New Breed

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I was a beta tester for that game.. I actually had to sign a paper NDA and received physically beta disks in the mail.

good ole days.

#17 Damocles 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

i LITERALLY just re-installed that game 2 days ago, and it will run on windows 7, set your vid card to "let app decide", enable compatabiity and rock and roll and then i remembered how much i hated those damn blasters

#18 Fragtastic

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:10 PM

ES2 was also my first mech game. I still have the complete box and discs for Starsiege.

#19 Damocles 1

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostEyeOne, on 13 June 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

I played it but I wouldn't call it awesome. I played Earthsiege 400 times, and then when the expansion came out I played it 400 times, and then when Earthsiege 2 came out I played it probably 500 times. But Starsiege was a completely different animal. Different controls, different game mechanics and they changes the lore significantly from the previous titles. While the others were fantastic Starsiege was merely ok.

I did play the crap out of the multiplayer and at the time I liked it, but the taste has become bitter in my mouth. Earthsiege 2 was the gold standard ES game. That being said I'd play StarSiege over MechAssault any day of the week.

I also played the Cyberstorm games (ES turn based stategy). I love CS1.

ha! you're old, i can tell, my old man loved earthseige as well but could'nt handle starseige

#20 Insidious Johnson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,417 posts
  • Location"This is Johnson, I'm cored"

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:10 PM

Loved that series. The Cybrid side was cool to play! Many brains were eaten. Much programming was redacted from lancemates. You as the tip of the spear crunch into the pyramid in Egypt ( new capital of Earth ) and personally kill a willing and resigned Emperor. Cybrid was much much more fun and challenging.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users