11 replies to this topic

#1 ComChicken

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Greetings fellow 'mech pilots,

I figured I would take a stab at sharing one of my builds on the forums for the first time.

Battlemaster Sniper-Flanker Hybrid :)

I should note that my role in battles is that of a flanker or cavalry. I always avoid the front lines whenever possible and try to sweep around and flank my opponents. Prior to the Phoenix Project, I would tool around in a XL300 Firebrand toting only an ERLL, an AC5, and an AC20. On a good round I could rack up 4-6 kills with 600-900+ damage. This build is an attempt at doing the same on an assault for a shock and awe factor.

My yaoyotl, or warrior philosophy, is that mobility, followed by shock and awe, are the two priorities for victory on the battlefield. This assault flanker tops even my old Firebrand at 84kph with speed tweak and has amazing maneuverability with double rewards on basic unlocks. While a heavy driver may naively try to go toe to toe with an assault unit, light and medium drivers usually {Scrap} themselves after turning around to discover an assault standing behind them at point blank range. With such high speeds it is even possible to run circles around inexperienced assault drivers and bury my weapons into their rear torso.

Given the great majority of its front face is center torso, it was a worth the risk to use an XL400, although greater care has to be taken to ensure that nobody hits the side torsos from the back. The two ERLLs are high mounted on the torso for peeking over hilltops and sniping from a distance, while the arm-mounted LB-10X and LPL provide real punch when you sneak up behind someone or are being harassed by light mechs.

Edit: Taking into account Bront's helpful feedback, I'm making a bigger punch up close with this build: BLR-1G

Edited by ComChicken, 24 October 2013 - 06:41 PM.

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

I'd consider an all energy setup: BLR-1G, and have something for close up.
But knowing that the lasers could get all randomly shuffled it could get annoying if the ERLLs are not set on the highest energy hardpoints.

#3 ComChicken

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 24 October 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

I'd consider an all energy setup: BLR-1G, and have something for close up.
But knowing that the lasers could get all randomly shuffled it could get annoying if the ERLLs are not set on the highest energy hardpoints.

I avoid all energy builds because of hot maps myself. There has to be something ballistic to keep the firepower going even when you're dangerously at risk of overheating and shutting down. I use machine guns on my other battlemaster variants, but I prefer a shotgun and a burst laser on both arms to deal with close quarters threats and small mechs.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah, Terra Therma is the worst.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:31 AM

For a flanker, you're better off with more mediums than a few larges.

Try this BLR-1G. The LB10X is replaced by a UAC5 for more brawling burst damage and more focused damage. The 2 LLs are replaced with 4 MLs, providing more damage for less heat, though at a reduced range (But you're a flanker). FF was removed to ad space. 3 more HS were added into the engine, and finally a little bit of armor reduction to fit an SRM4 on for some final low heat added punch.

This mech should be pretty brutal up close, you have better options for heat management when running on hot maps, and it packs a much larger punch at close range, which is the intent of a flanking mech.

#6 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,392 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 24 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

Way too much fun with the 6 LL 1G

#7 ComChicken

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:37 PM

View PostBront, on 24 October 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

For a flanker, you're better off with more mediums than a few larges.

Try this BLR-1G. The LB10X is replaced by a UAC5 for more brawling burst damage and more focused damage. The 2 LLs are replaced with 4 MLs, providing more damage for less heat, though at a reduced range (But you're a flanker). FF was removed to ad space. 3 more HS were added into the engine, and finally a little bit of armor reduction to fit an SRM4 on for some final low heat added punch.

This mech should be pretty brutal up close, you have better options for heat management when running on hot maps, and it packs a much larger punch at close range, which is the intent of a flanking mech.

I have to say, putting in the MLs and the UAC5 was a good tip. I opted for more heat sinks than SRMs, but I sure leave my friends in disbelief as I tool around at top speed.

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 25 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

I saw ComChicken's mech in action last night.

#9 ComChicken

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostNRP, on 25 October 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

I saw ComChicken's mech in action last night.

Alas, I wasn't driving my 1G. I was on my 1S that round.

#10 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:26 PM

In my opinion, I don't think having an XL Engine -and- not having the firepower for just speed (and only 30 shots of LB-10x) warrants getting an XL 400 altogether.

BLR-1G

Why not something like this? You can flank and start hitting things from 500m away with single-shot weapons and have enough heatsinks for when its time to burn through armor with 6 Medium Lasers.

Fully capable of a pinpoint 50 damage alpha at 240m at about almost 70~80% heat if you need to kill something as you flank, more than capable of ripping apart he rear torso of most DPS builds.

#11 ComChicken

Rookie

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

Honestly, to attack from a distance completely negates the need to flank. The purpose of flanking is to hit someone hard from the side or from behind and cause them to panic or run. Flanking a line destabilizes their focused fire and causes our front lines to gain an advantage. Even if you die, you send their forward attack into disarray.Trying to flank from a distance requires far too much time to get far enough beyond to escape their peripheral vision and then strike them. Besides, I can deal damage up to 1.5k with the UAC5.

Edited by ComChicken, 25 October 2013 - 07:24 PM.

#12 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:47 PM

Back when they implemented the charge up for the Gauss Rifle my Heavy Metal's performance dropped significantly. So I started looking for a AC setup that was close in weight to the GR and packed the punch worthy of a 90ton Assault. I came up with the Twin AC5 that packs the same punch as an AC10 with faster rate of fire. A while back Muffinator started a Battlemaster with 400XL topic and I came up with http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3c8e8a9e7071483 choosing the 1D to make better use of the hardpoints. Translated to the 1G is http://mwo.smurfy-ne...08f0171b19752bb. If you are willing to take a hit to the engine I would recommend http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6fec37278f9e52f. Use the SL for anti light duty and an extra up close punch and you have the ERPPC for sniping and anti ECM with the Twin AC5s for everything in-between.

Edited by FireSlade, 25 October 2013 - 08:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users