Do You Like The New Boating Restriction System?

545 replies to this topic

Poll: Do You Like The New System (711 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Like The New System

1. Yes (370 votes [52.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 52.04%

2. Voted No (341 votes [47.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.96%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 July 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

The reason we don't like it is because it doesn't work. It has more loopholes than the US tax code and any player with a brain will be able to circumvent it if they haven't already. Why would we like systems that don't work?

You are a citizen of a democracy, aren´t you ?
Does democracy work ?
But too many people and their aunt seem to like democracy ...

Which is why I went trolling and voted "YUSSSS" for this absolutely intolerable and essentially non-functional system of arbitrariness because of all the known reasons which "smarter players" already have circumvented ^^

Edited by Rad Hanzo, 17 July 2013 - 08:10 PM.

#222 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

View PostThontor, on 17 July 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

It's helping the game by penalizing high pinpoint damage builds like 4 PPCs and dual AC/20s etc which discourages them from alpha striking and encourages them to stager fire wih less damage per shot:

It therefore increases the skill cap for those builds to do that damage to one specific location in two seperate shots. And that also gives the target time to react and have a chance at avoiding that second shot or at least preventing it from hitting the same location.

It's not perfect... There are ways to corcumvent it. One of those ways is to use 2 ERPPCs and 2 PPCs. We know that will be changing... I just hope the devs are considering combining other weapon systems as well, like a gauss rifle counting as a PPC as far as the heat scale is concerned.

So yeah, there are a few builds that might circumvent the system a little, but I have a feeling those will be dealt with. And I think the system has already made a huge improvement on the high pinpoint damage problem.

*claps*

#223 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

View PostRad Hanzo, on 17 July 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

You are a citizen of a democracy, aren´t you ?
Does democracy work ?
But too many people and their aunt seem to like democracy ...

Which is why I went trolling and voted "YUSSSS" for this absolutely intolerable and essentially non-functional system of arbitrariness because of all the known reasons which "smarter players" already have circumvented ^^

The United States is NOT a Democracy. We are a Republic and thank heavens for that. About the only thing I DO wish our Country did was model a pure Republic and require Military Service to be a citizen.

All Democracies are doomed to failure.

#224 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 17 July 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

The United States is NOT a Democracy. We are a Republic and thank heavens for that. About the only thing I DO wish our Country did was model a pure Republic and require Military Service to be a citizen.

All Democracies are doomed to failure.

:P

#225 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 17 July 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

:D

It's in our pledge of allegiance for example...

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands..."

It is pretty funny how so many people think we are a democracy when we aren't. The people don't rule via majority vote. Ever. We elect representatives to then vote on laws etc. for us via proxy. We the people never directly decide anything. Not even the president. The Electoral College does this for us.

As for Military service, maybe then people would appreciate the Freedom people have died for more than just taking it for granted. It doesn't mean we have to be war mongers. :P

#226 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Honestly, I think that the SRM buff has had more of an effect on the current meta.

#227 Corvus Antaka

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 17 July 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

It's in our pledge of allegiance for example...

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands..."

It is pretty funny how so many people think we are a democracy when we aren't. The people don't rule via majority vote. Ever. We elect representatives to then vote on laws etc. for us via proxy. We the people never directly decide anything. Not even the president. The Electoral College does this for us.

As for Military service, maybe then people would appreciate the Freedom people have died for more than just taking it for granted. It doesn't mean we have to be war mongers. :P

dude please keep this on topic. Not all of us care 1 whit about the USA.

#228 Grand Ayatollah Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

I think that the new boating penalty is great.

Edit: actually, it's terrible.

Edited by Narcisoldier, 18 July 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#229 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 17 July 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

dude please keep this on topic. Not all of us care 1 whit about the USA.

Not trying to start a political war here. I just was clarifying another dude's misconception in his post about us being a Democracy. Carry on with the topic at hand. :P

#230 Sam Slade

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,370 posts
  • LocationMega city 1

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostMister Blastman, on 17 July 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

We the people never directly decide anything.

Excwpt that any group of citizens can draft a Bill and have it passsed into state law in their respective state... Prop. 8 or 13 or whatever else is passed by the ignorant masses...

I voted for Proposition Heat Penalty! Makes a good bumper sticker

Edited by Sam Slade, 17 July 2013 - 08:59 PM.

#231 Aim64C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

It's helping the game by penalizing high pinpoint damage builds like 4 PPCs and dual AC/20s etc which discourages them from alpha striking and encourages them to stager fire wih less damage per shot:

It doesn't actually just penalize pinpoint damage builds. What about my 4 Large Laser Blackjack? That's too much - but:

My 6 Medium Pulse Laser Blackjack - which still has a 36 point alpha?

And the AC20 goes from generating manageable heat to being completely and arbitrarily stupidly hot if you fire two at the same time?

The mechanics are so inconsistent that it's laughable.

It therefore increases the skill cap for those builds to do that damage to one specific location in two seperate shots. And that also gives the target time to react and have a chance at avoiding that second shot or at least preventing it from hitting the same location.

It was a little frustrating, before - but really the problem existed with PPCs. Since no one has thought to revisit PPC mechanics (as laser mechanics were thought about before this game went into play) - a weapon which has been fundamentally unbalanced in every MechWarrior game to date.... we have issues with PPCs. Particularly when the hardpoint system allows any small or medium laser to become a PPC on a large enough chassis while decent ballistic builds (which are the up-front damage dealers) are few and far between with poor hardpoint options.

It's not perfect... There are ways to corcumvent it. One of those ways is to use 2 ERPPCs and 2 PPCs. We know that will be changing... I just hope the devs are considering combining other weapon systems as well, like a gauss rifle counting as a PPC as far as the heat scale is concerned.

That's just insane - and is exactly what I have said would happen if this were implemented: "Wheel of Stupid."

Because people will start shifting their builds around to deal damage that is effective for this game, there will be a never-ending crusade to get weapons and weapon combinations added to this table.

This table then becomes an additional point of balancing concerns for every weapon on it. "The heat scale for this weapon is too much!"

"Why can't we increase the number of large lasers that can be fired simultaneously?"

"Why do my SRM6s suffer a heat penalty for doing slightly more distributed damage than the 6-medium pulse laser builds I see running around, now?"

".... Why the hell are streaks on this list?"

So yeah, there are a few builds that might circumvent the system a little, but I have a feeling those will be dealt with. And I think the system has already made a huge improvement on the high pinpoint damage problem.

The high pinpoint damage problem was largely an artifact of PPC behavior.

Remove the existing PPC behavior and replace it with a charge-and-release effect, and you fix most of the high-alpha problems. There's a canonical base for it, too: http://www.sarna.net...i/PPC_Capacitor

The AC40 builds do exactly the same amount of damage (when they converge properly) to a mech as the tabletop version of the AC20 (because armor has been doubled). I really don't see a problem with it.

The main issue is the PPC. It's been -the- bane of MechWarrior balancing since the dawn of the game. If you give it a charge-and-release style firing mechanic with a pulse-laser like damage output (except a shorter duration) - then you fix most of the problems with the PPC. You make heat management for the PPC more complicated than simply: "can I fire this weapon" - you actually have to charge the weapon (which would generate a portion of the heat to fire). It would also add in functionality for expansion -when- the game decides to take a time-skip and incorporate later era technologies.

It's called brainstorming. These guys should do it.

Then you can look at issues like convergence.

But right now - a 30 point alpha from PPCs is unthinkable. But a 30 point alpha from gauss rifles is okay (and I'd like to see the thought process on justifying firing two gauss rifles overheating your mech... like firing 2 AC20s does...).

It's just stupid and arbitrary. Why not just set in hardpoint restrictions that make only a few mechs able to wield 4 PPCs? You may as well.

There are only two mechs in the game that can wield 2 AC20s - the K2 (which everyone said was ******** that it could turn machineguns into AC20s - but the devs said that is the kind of customization they wanted to support) and the Jaegermech (which has to make some considerable design compromises to do so - much the same as if it decides to field 2 gauss rifles - though it costs 6 more tons, or nearly 10% more of its total mass, to do it).

Assaults have absolutely hilarious and stupid hardpoint configurations (do you want the victor, victor, or victor?) specifically to prohibit the mounting of two such weapons. Yet the AC20 STILL gets a "boating nerf."

There's nothing sensible or comprehensive about this. They just decided: "These are builds we don't want people using. We're going to make you es'plode for using them."

Hardpoint restrictions were put in place to control just this. That is what the original concept behind the hardpoints was for... to control plausible builds for balancing and characterization reasons. Because they only thought through half of their solution - we still ended up with huge boating problems (mainly with PPCs).

rather than fixing PPCs...

or fixing their hardpoint system.

They decided to implement another layer of complexity and balance that will take another whole year for them to "get where we want to be."

What the hell are they going to do when they implement the Clans, and I can have a 12 small pulse laser Nova with a 40+ point alpha dealt over 0.5 seconds?

Or 'omnimechs' are truly 'omni' and can be used to circumvent the existing hardpoint system all together - meaning their heat-scaling is going to have to be applied to every weapon in the game?

This is what happens when people don't think beyond the end of their nose.

#232 xRatas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 514 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:17 PM

It seems only thing that actually got nerfed is AC40. PPCs rock just as well as before, and 2ERPPC+2PPC does not even suffer any heat penalties yet, people just don't seem to know it.

Most reason PPC Alpha boats vanished and SRM boats emerged is quite likely, that everyone is just changing playstyle for fun when alternative is now mostly viable. I don't think this pointless complication had anything to do with it really.

Besides, the more you add variables to the system, the harder it becomes to balance. Now weapons effectively got 2 more stats, boat maximum and extra heat. Good luck making balanced weapons with that, if it was not possible with range,recycle time, heat, speed and damage.

Oh well, I keep quad PPCs as they were not affected at all. Let's see if I bother to alternate their fire after 30th or not. So far I can alpha all I want.

Edited by xRatas, 17 July 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#233 Trev Firestorm

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostChavette, on 17 July 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

1, On what reason did they lock t he first ones for?

2, Does it work with 2 ER LLaser and 2 LLaser?

It looks like the penalty doesnt kick in for that /but/ an ER is only .3 heat less (per er) than a llas with penalty so maybe they didn't overlook it so much as didnt care about this combo.

Edited by Trev Firestorm, 17 July 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#234 itchyfingerz

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:29 PM

Heres the issue i'm seeing already. For Assault specs specifically, you give up a lot of mobility, speed, and accessibility to inclines for a trade off of being able to stack the most powerful weapons (LL's / PPCS), It is the whole intention of an assault class.. Your a slow hulking large weapon's platform. What the heat scale did was reduce game play options for an assault all gearing towards brawling. You can reduce your effectiveness as a boat by chaining your firing, which equates to brawling by staying exposed, keep on target and chain firing. The other option is, mix and match your assault weapons, downgrade from PPC's to LL's and get a faster engine and spec towards brawling again. I have an open mind so of course you can mix and match and play around by having 2 PPC's 2 LL's some fillers, but the end result is. Your long range capacity to do harm is greatly diminished and brawling would suit the class much better unless your an LRM boat. This heat scale patch reduces as you move to lower weight classes. Game play and style is now converging into a brawling meta game. All the matches I have experienced tonight was this. Stick together as a team, enemy team does the same, then when in range..all out brawl orgy. It is fun, but its kind of getting a bit old already. Most classes now benefit from a faster engines, mix of the heaviest weapons you can get without penalty so it feels like we're being forced into a the same style of gameplay. I feel like i'm playing team fortress 2 in slow motion now. MWO was not meant to be like TF2 in Mech suits..thats what Hawken is for.

#235 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

My 45 alpha mech says hello. Even if they lump PPC's with Gauss, I can manage 43 without bother. Even if they lump every energy weapon and the guass together (And kill half the mechs in the game), 40 alpha jumpsniper will come out to play instead.
It's a shambles.

Edited by Rippthrough, 18 July 2013 - 02:28 AM.

#236 Shootanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 248 posts
  • Locationin a Jenner right behind you

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:27 AM

Although maybe not the best way to do it, I like it as long as it serves the purpose

#237 Prezimonto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 2,017 posts
  • LocationKufstein FRR

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:35 AM

I like what it did for the meta game in general, at the level I play. That being said, as has been noted again and again, it doesn't actually do a lot to stop good players from running cheese builds. The difference is that when I see a 2xac20 mech I know that pilot is decent, can control his heat, and probably has back up. I've also seen a lot of gauss/ac20 builds which are in some ways harder to deal with, especially if the pilot is good, as they can peck you down at range and still have a huge brawling alpha.

In short, it's at best a short term fix as the meta resettles, it won't solve the underlying issue of massive, single hard point alpha strikes, just force players to be a little bit better at the game to run them.

Oh, and to address changing the PPC: I wouldn't mind a charge and release mechanism, I also wouldn't mind if it did thermal and a little splash but only 5 damage up front. If each hits for 5 damage on target, plus some heat, plus 4 damage in splash to neighboring components it wouldn't be nearly the terror it currently is. And that is consistent with the sarna description.

Another thing we don't have in the game is recoil, the AC20, Gauss, and PPC all had heavy recoil, which is partly why small mechs not built to hold them, couldn't... they fall over, or hurt themselves unless they were careful. Imagine if firing 4 PPC's could sometimes knock down a moving stalker or awesome.

Edited by Prezimonto, 18 July 2013 - 04:43 AM.

#238 Karazyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:49 AM

I h8 it cuz i cant use mah 6 ppcz stalkerz anymores i only knows how to push 1z button!!11!11!!

#239 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

I just can't believe how short-sighted people are.

The fact that people are using varied builds after Tuesday’s patch has nothing to do with the new Heat Penalty.

As has been stated often, it doesn’t work right now and is easily circumvented. So anyone posting that as their reason is just outright wrong.

It’s SRMs being some what viable that has changed the meta, while people test. That might last a week, because they still suck.

But still, the short-sightedness is mind boggling. Are people going to ask for a heat nerf for using 2 gauss rifles next? What happens when PGI releases a mech like the Mauler? OH WAIT, they are PURPOSELY avoiding certain mechs and variants because their Heat Penalty can’t stop them.

And really in the end, which is always going to loom over every band-aid fix that PGI makes, what do you do when the Clans come out?

Are we just going to repeatedly make arbitrary changes to try and stop high damage alphas instead of tackling the core problems?

I’m waiting for this post “We’ve determined that the ability for Clan mech’s to mount 3 Gauss Rifles and an ER PPC, while still using an XL engine that only takes 2 critical slots in their side torso’s is too strong, so we are making it so Omni mechs cannot mount more than 1 Gauss rifle at a time. Sorry guys.”

#240 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:07 AM

I wouldn't call it perfect, but it is actually pretty effective at forcing variety. I've adapted the few builds I had that were affected and moved on. Is it more challenging? Yes. Is that something to get mad about? Not in my opinion.

117 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 117 guests, 0 anonymous users