We Need A Speed Bonus In Regards To Weight

28 replies to this topic

#21 blinkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostFupDup, on 16 July 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

If we could do this, people would take 35-45 ton Atlai as giant light mechs. With maximum armor.

Gives a whole new meaning to Steiner Scout Lance. :rolleyes:

woooo! look at my heavily armored blimp with 2 small lasers! i think the solution would be to just shoot the abomination until it is gone.

#22 zazz0000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

I love how 90% of my suggestions surface back up 2 month later after being shut down initially...

F=MA. Firstly, heeeellzzz yea acceleration should improve. Second, greater acceleration works against air (or whatever gas) drag, which is the only real limiting factor of speed (not counting gravity when bipedal motion is involved)

#23 Unbound Inferno

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Run a lighter mech.

I don't trust PGI to code the speed difference appropriately if they can't even get the mech's sizes right. Last thing we need is an Atlas running around like a Jenner.

#24 blinkin

• 3,195 posts
  • LocationEquestria

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

View PostUnbound Inferno, on 16 July 2013 - 11:49 PM, said:

Run a lighter mech.

I don't trust PGI to code the speed difference appropriately if they can't even get the mech's sizes right. Last thing we need is an Atlas running around like a Jenner.

they do want to run lighter mechs!

trolling aside these mechs won't become any smaller. even if the atlas is going 150kph it is still a frigging huge target and if it doesn't have the weapons to dish out damage why would anyone worry. let people run these enormous light mechs and then show them why it is a profoundly bad idea with your weapons.

#25 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

I got to thinking about the Charger, [comparing how that mech's lore goes] it's kinda funny thinking about an underweight Atlas with a STD 400 running around; ramming into other mechs and so on.

Assuming that running underweight could count as "being" like a lighter Assault mech, an Atlas with a STD 400 and 19 or so tons of armor could be close to an ~80 ~85 ton mech, which could get up to ~83 KPH. That could be kinda funny to see indeed.

Edit: for clarity, I was comparing the idea of running an Atlas like a Charger, not to bring Chargers to MWO.

Edited by Praetor Shepard, 17 July 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#26 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostPraetor Shepard, on 17 July 2013 - 07:42 PM, said:

I got to thinking about the Charger, it's kinda funny thinking about an underweight Atlas with a STD 400 running around; ramming into other mechs and so on.

Assuming that running underweight could count as "being" like a lighter Assault mech, an Atlas with a STD 400 and 19 or so tons of armor could be close to an ~80 ~85 ton mech, which could get up to ~83 KPH. That could be kinda funny to see indeed.

The would be a terrible idea. Why even include the Charger then (it's probably coming down the pipeline sometime in the future when it doesn't have terrible/non-existant variants due to the in-universe timeline anyway)?

Edited by Volthorne, 17 July 2013 - 08:12 PM.

#27 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 17 July 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

The would be a terrible idea. Why even include the Charger then (it's probably coming down the pipeline sometime in the future when it doesn't have terrible/non-existant variants due to the in-universe timeline anyway)?

I agree, and to clarify, I mention the Charger not to bring the Mech to MWO, just the idea of trying to make an Assault go faster with less weight got me thinking about a possible extreme example, if we were able to significantly increase speed by going that far under weight with an engine cap at 400.

It's not much speed gained, going from 100 to ~95, but depending on how the system is set up to even allow that, then one might be able to try that with an Atlas to goof around in, which i thought would be funny to see on the battlefields.

#28 Agent CraZy DiP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAZ - USA

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

OR.... We need more things that weigh 0.5 tons. In some cases, the pilots could be that 0.5 tons.

#29 Typhoon Storm 2142

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationHamburg

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:48 AM

View PostXmith, on 16 July 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

For example my DC weighs only 95.5 tons. It has a 320 std engine. Top speed is 51.8 kph, Top speed is also 51.8 kph at 100 tons, 0.518 kph per ton. Since I'm carrying less weight, my top speed should be more than what a 100 ton mech can do. At 95.5 tons, my top speed should be at least 54.1 kph.

Basically, If you want more speed, you shoud be able to increase your max speed by carrying less weight.

Yes of course....you take away a few tons here and there and the 'Mech would magically accelerate beyond maximum speed.

This is kinda like saying that you can run fast as a train by simply standing on a track an waiting to get hit by one.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users