21 replies to this topic

#21 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Legging deaths are weak. Best to first slow down, then hobble a Mech, if you can tear the Myomer structure off of one, after tearing off its outer Armor layer first, of course.

Xplosions are Cool and the Dev are sure to want some Cool in the Game so Xplosions are a good conduit for that. Just keep it real. :)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 12 November 2011 - 08:49 AM.

#22 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

I recall having a great deal of sadness when I read an article on modern fusion reactors, and the fact that even breached, they wouldnt explode. Apparently, they just shut off. Which, again sadly, fits with the BT rules.

Head shot: If I were a Star League engineer, I'd design a failsafe that would keep the gyro spinning, even if the system encounted a Loss of Signal. However, using the "=>20 damage means pilot check" alternate rule from Battletech, if the mech gets really thumped on, it should made a pilotless piloting check, and fall over if it fails.

Leg Loss: Rules for BT have the mech falling over, which makes a great deal of sense, since, well, your leg just came off. Mech or person, you're not just going to hop around demanding 'its only a flesh wound'. The leg remains functional until all IS is destroyed, and the only 'non-funtional' leg would be one that took crits to all its myomer components. Its also extrordinarily difficult to get back up unless you've got a good pilot, and a mech with arms. MWMercs used to get around this rule with jump capable mechs using their jj's to 'jump' to a standing position. Still, once down, you're probably gonna stay there, jj or no.

Ammo detonation: Simple Newtonian physics comes into play - say you have your ammo stored in an arm. Most engineers put the stuff in a torso, but you, you had to be saddled with an engineer who decided to be 'creative'. The ammo detonates - through armor crit from a single SRM, sucks to be you - the energy from that blast will be applied to the armor and internal stucture of the arm - and some of the blast will go into the torso. BT rules has all the leftover energy going in that direction - or so it would seem - but I think rather the system doesnt account for any of the blast that doesnt travel to the mech. So, you use the aformentioned =>20 rule to determin knock-down. CASE, however, should also have a knockdown chance. As I recall, CASE just applies the blast to the area where the ammo is stored, and all the rest of the energy is dissapated. But think about it - in the above scenario, you've got ammo stored in the arm, but its CASE protected. The blast destroys the arm, but does not then travel to the torso, the excess energy being vented though blast baffles. But thats like having a rocket pack strapped to that arm - you're still gonna be moved by the force of the explosion, and there needs to be a ragdoll mechanic to account for that. Your arm has just decided your torso needs to twist to the left very, very hard.

-Don

Edited by Sword_of_Light, 12 November 2011 - 08:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users