Lrms Suck And Have Sucked For Awhile.

91 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

I am good with lrms, however they could use a slight adjustment of center seeking. That said lrms should seek the center /sides of mechs not arms or legs.

#42 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

LRMs are freaking dangerous.

They also have a bunch of caveats to being that dangerous. ECM, Terrain, time of flight, minimum/maximum range, lock on, you have to add TAG and Artemis if you want the full power.

That's a lot of investment. That's why people have 1000 ammo and still do 400 damage.

#43 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 22 July 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

LRMs are freaking dangerous.

They also have a bunch of caveats to being that dangerous. ECM, Terrain, time of flight, minimum/maximum range, lock on, you have to add TAG and Artemis if you want the full power.

That's a lot of investment. That's why people have 1000 ammo and still do 400 damage.

Yep, alot is invested to make a viable lrm build. Target decay, and if you can afford it advanced uav can make a huge differance!

Edited by Johnny Reb, 22 July 2013 - 09:28 PM.

#44 Navy Sixes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,018 posts
  • LocationHeading west

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostNgamok, on 20 July 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

I lvoe when people try to max range me with missiles. Just means I have enough time to back up under cover and watch them land in front of me or hit the guy behind me who loves to hump my rear no matter where I move.

Meanwhile, the enemy is on the move, gaining position, while you're not sniping/brawling/or whatever it is you logged in to do tonight. The value of an LRM volley goes beyond damage. Nothing like Betty nagging them about incoming to gum-up the enemy.

#45 Magicbullet141

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHaappajarvi, Capellan March, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:26 AM

LRMs are overpowered. ECM has been implemented completely wrong, it does not prevent missle hard locks. It does counter the effects of artemis though

#46 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:49 AM

View PostMagicbullet141, on 23 July 2013 - 01:26 AM, said:

LRMs are overpowered. ECM has been implemented completely wrong, it does not prevent missle hard locks. It does counter the effects of artemis though

BWAHAHAHA. You have it backwards.

#47 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:02 AM

The reason you see so many different opinions on LRM's is because they are the weapon most effected by your opponents skill level.

Bad players hate LRM's.

Decent players go back and forth on LRM's.

Good players are ok with LRM's.

Great players laugh at people who use LRM's while murdering them.

#48 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostShadey99, on 21 July 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

And hope they don't carry AMS? Because if they do those lines of LRMS (from chain firing) is just going to eat up their AMS ammo. And that is still on top of the other team not having ECM, which is rare these days.

I carry BAP as well. And I wait for the brawl to start and I don't fire at anything more than 800m. I prefer < 700m.

#49 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

View PostTycho von Gagern, on 23 July 2013 - 01:23 AM, said:

Meanwhile, the enemy is on the move, gaining position, while you're not sniping/brawling/or whatever it is you logged in to do tonight. The value of an LRM volley goes beyond damage. Nothing like Betty nagging them about incoming to gum-up the enemy.

Well yes. LRMs are suppression fire as they should be. Lots of people in LRM boats don't watch their group and tend to get cut off. For instance last night. Got into a brawl. LRM Stalker-4N out there by himself. We killed two of theirs, two mechs went to cap us (Jenner and Dragon), we mopped up everyone and I told my team to leave that Stalker for last because he was useless so far away as he was. Got him last.

In a good group you are right, they are now moving in on us and we are being supressed with them. That's how I do it too. Only problem is I am mastering my A1 now to have all 4 catapults mastered and if I get caught, I am toast because lots of times, my 2 SRM6s aren't enough to stop those fast guys from tearing me up.

#50 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

LRM's have 2 modes. Outgoing = Good, and Incoming = Bad. Pick the mode you prefer, while avoiding the other as much as possible. LOL! ;)

Edited by MaddMaxx, 23 July 2013 - 09:35 AM.

#51 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Most drops I see in PUG, you can instantly tell when the other team is a premade that slipped into PUG because they're the ones with 6-8 ECM mechs. At that point, kiss any chance of LRMs working goodbye.

#52 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostShadey99, on 21 July 2013 - 04:45 PM, said:

I mean managing to fit it. My C1 for instance runs 2 LRM15's with art and runs tag, but my A1 cannot run tag at all and running a 4xLRM10 build with art would mean dropping any close in fighting power it has. Because I can't trust anyone else to protect me, when I ran it stock people would never notice me dying to... well anything... So it has to mount SRMs as the only possible weapon and I often take people by surprise with them. I certainly couldn't fit 4xLRM10s with art and my SRMs. Even so art costs for each launcher using up tonnage and raising their price.

From the person running them in an Assault mech, sure. Try something only a bit more than half that size.

I've firsthand witnessed a unitmate shredding people with a 6x LRM 5 A1...try it sometime. He doesn't even have a hardpoint for TAG on there.

2x LRM 10s on your grandpa's 4SP isn't going to cut it...

#53 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 July 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

I've firsthand witnessed a unitmate shredding people with a 6x LRM 5 A1...try it sometime. He doesn't even have a hardpoint for TAG on there.

2x LRM 10s on your grandpa's 4SP isn't going to cut it...

I've shredded people with 2 LRM 10's in my Centurion.

I've shredded people with an LRM 15 in a Raven.

I've shredded people with 2 Medium Lasers in my YLW.

I'd much rather try and figure out why people are getting shredded with so many ways to deal with LRM's.

#54 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:25 PM

alright that's it. i've had it with ppl saying only bad players hate lrms, lrms suck, etc.

LRMS ONLY SUCK FOR premade 8v8s

LRMS RULE PUGS

just dropped in a pug. i was the only assualt. and we have good mix of every tonnage. enemy team did too. we did not have ecm, but we had 5 mechs with ams. map is canyon valley. we lost 0-8.

we all stayed behind cover, not one of us was hit by lrms while being tagged. lrms killed 7 out of 8 on our team. our lights and mediums died before they could get within min range. i died despite turning my arm to the lrms (they still hit my CT, no joke. no internal damage except in CT)) and the heavies were killed despite hiding behind rocks that were bigger than their mech. we stuck together and always had angles covered and overwatch on each other.

ecm is the only way to even stop an lrm boat full team. therefore pugs will continue being destroyed by lrms.

it's completely backwards: the lrm boats suck if they lose. they either didnt fire them right or didnt have enough missiles being fired.

#55 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostWarMonkey14, on 26 July 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

just dropped in a pug. i was the only assualt. and we have good mix of every tonnage. enemy team did too. we did not have ecm, but we had 5 mechs with ams. map is canyon valley. we lost 0-8.

we all stayed behind cover, not one of us was hit by lrms while being tagged. lrms killed 7 out of 8 on our team. our lights and mediums died before they could get within min range. i died despite turning my arm to the lrms (they still hit my CT, no joke. no internal damage except in CT)) and the heavies were killed despite hiding behind rocks that were bigger than their mech. we stuck together and always had angles covered and overwatch on each other.

Ok, lets get some details here... What lights exactly was your team running? It's almost impossible to do any real damage on a mech going above 120 kph with lrms at all... Even creative lrm 5 builds have trouble hitting them quite often (and your better off not even bothering to try with anything bigger unless it's firing from a SRM tube set).

Heck besides 'a balanced team' you didn't provide any details on any of the 16 mechs in the game.

After that We have the nebulous claim of being behind rocks... Yet somehow you kept being targeted. Did they have lights spotting for their larger mechs?

It sounds like even though you were pugging they were an organized team from the little information provided.

#56 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostShadey99, on 26 July 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

Ok, lets get some details here... What lights exactly was your team running? It's almost impossible to do any real damage on a mech going above 120 kph with lrms at all... Even creative lrm 5 builds have trouble hitting them quite often (and your better off not even bothering to try with anything bigger unless it's firing from a SRM tube set).

Heck besides 'a balanced team' you didn't provide any details on any of the 16 mechs in the game.

After that We have the nebulous claim of being behind rocks... Yet somehow you kept being targeted. Did they have lights spotting for their larger mechs?

It sounds like even though you were pugging they were an organized team from the little information provided.

fair enough. my team was a cent, two jaegers, me (atlas), a cataract, a jenner and i cant remember the other two. want to say quickdraw, hunchies, or maybe jaegers.

enemy team: trench, 2 cats, 2 jaegers, a jenner, a victor, and a raven with ecm

i was specific enough about the light's death. 4-8 large lasers ended him the moment he popped out to harass as well as lrms coming (they didnt hit torsos but legs, which is gg for a light)

admittedly we only had two lrm 15s on our team but since they had ecm that's not terrible. we had plenty of large lasers, ac 5/10s, and srms. and even some ppcs. enemy team had no ppcs and no ballistics that i saw at all. just tag, lrms, med lasers, and large lasers.

they hit through cover because even after we ducked back behind, they keep lock for a couple of seconds. giving the lrms enough track to hit even if lock is gone by actual lrm hit.

basic story: both teams played pop and shoot. except they out dpsed us every volley because of the lrms even after we took cover after shooting.

#57 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Just...lol...

So how close were you?

I'm having a hard time with this with 5 AMS.

They have at most 3 LRM mechs on that team.

It just seems kinda silly, if they were holding locks long enough for LRM's to hit after you took cover, then you were probably about 500m out.

If they had 3 LRM heavy mechs, you could have charged and had an 8 on 5 advantage.

The fact that some how your 5 AMS weren't totally savaging their volley's tells me you guys were very spread out and not coordinated in the least (meaning no communication, even to type "Back up and group up", which is what I type in those situations). That's on you since you decided to come here and complain.

Honestly though, my Centurion brutallizes LRM boats, I just...man yup, I'm gonna say it. You guys were just bad.

#58 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 26 July 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Just...lol...

So how close were you?

I'm having a hard time with this with 5 AMS.

They have at most 3 LRM mechs on that team.

It just seems kinda silly, if they were holding locks long enough for LRM's to hit after you took cover, then you were probably about 500m out.

If they had 3 LRM heavy mechs, you could have charged and had an 8 on 5 advantage.

The fact that some how your 5 AMS weren't totally savaging their volley's tells me you guys were very spread out and not coordinated in the least (meaning no communication, even to type "Back up and group up", which is what I type in those situations). That's on you since you decided to come here and complain.

Honestly though, my Centurion brutallizes LRM boats, I just...man yup, I'm gonna say it. You guys were just bad.

you're free to say that. and i have no idea if some of my teammate were terrible. i was too busy trying not to die from the lamest weapon in the game.

500-700m would be correct. rushing in only asks to die as lrms have min range of 180m.

we weren't standing side by side but my ams ammo was out within 5 mins. we all ran out by about 7 mins in. gg

Edit: you fail to see that i'm not saying we could not have played better. but one weapons system made the game winnable without "hard" counters. hence why i call it a balance issue

Edited by WarMonkey14, 26 July 2013 - 04:25 PM.

#59 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

You know what I had a whole thing typed out explaining the weird holes in your story that don't make sense.

But i'm over it. You should quit and play another game.

If you lost 8 to nothing in the situation you are describing you were one of the terrible ones too.

7 minutes of them running you out of AMS ammo and you couldn't kill one guy? They only had 3 LRM mechs.

Your response to my point about going from 500 to 180m is "Rushing in to die", it should be "I used cover to move 300m and they couldn't shoot me anymore".

Ugh, just ugh man.

#60 WarMonkey14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 26 July 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

You know what I had a whole thing typed out explaining the weird holes in your story that don't make sense.

But i'm over it. You should quit and play another game.

If you lost 8 to nothing in the situation you are describing you were one of the terrible ones too.

7 minutes of them running you out of AMS ammo and you couldn't kill one guy? They only had 3 LRM mechs.

Your response to my point about going from 500 to 180m is "Rushing in to die", it should be "I used cover to move 300m and they couldn't shoot me anymore".

Ugh, just ugh man.

you know what doesn't make sense? why you think lrms are fine and loads of people think they arn't.

killing a guy and doing damage to enemy team are two different things.

telling me to play a different game does not address anything.

good to know issues in this game will never be fixed because we all keep just saying other people are straight up wrong (guilty of this myself lol)

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users