60 replies to this topic

#21 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostBenjamin Davion, on 22 July 2013 - 09:09 PM, said:

The number of times that has happened to me. I step out, risk heavy incoming fire, zero in with PPCs/Gauss, and right as I fire, a Hunchback comes derping around right in front of me. OR BETTER. I have literally opened up with a gut-busting rapid-fire burst of three UAC5s and a Blackjack was SO INTENT on trying to kill the Atlas I was eviscerating, he waded into my stream of fire and took half a dozen UAC5 rounds to the back, THEN BITCHED AT ME for friendly fire. :P

I have pretty low tolerance on this one. Other than keep firing, change position away from derp and while they take the enemy fire derping a derp, flank the enemy you were originally shooting and make the most of derp by using them as fodder while you flank :P.

#22 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

View PostBarantor, on 22 July 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Saw this happen to the enemy team in canyon and we had the high ground....

Ever heard of 'like shooting fish in a barrel'?

Unloaded, we won... easily.

I love it when that happen to the enemy team.
Especially when Im in my dual AC2 Blackjack, just hold mouse button and LOL.

View PostBenjamin Davion, on 22 July 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Saw this exact situation earlier today in my Atlas on Canyon. I've also seen some similar situations in River City, where there's only effective way for an assault to get to a fight, invariably someone will park there and start shooting. So your choice is to drive up their *** or spend precious minutes walking all the way around whatever buildings are in the way.

I only seen this very few time in River City.
Bunch of mechs doing the two step around citadel corner, great time for fast medium to come around the other corner and blast a few back amour before run away wooping.
Also at the cliff to going onto upper city.
Fun time if your team have LRM and UAV.

#23 rolling thunder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSOUTHPORT,UK

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:32 AM

Ok, i've had a couple of mechs so far up my exhaust pipe they have started pushing me forwards. I don't like the "tactic" & I believe it is a tactic as it has started happening a lot lately. If I crest a hill or gap & i'm confronted by a load of enemy Mechs it's nice to open fire before retreating into cover. If I find a Mech in my tailpipe then I simply can't manouvere & I end up taking a load of unnecessary damage. I have stopped in open ground using the zoom focus for the old Mrk1 peepers & found myself moving forwards, only to turn around & find a mech pushing me along. I don't care what tactics people use to kill the enemy as long as they aren't using me for strap on Armour. I've been killed several times in a game so far because of this. It spoils the game for me.

#24 Shatterpoint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

People who do it will always do it, [redacted]

Edited by Marvyn Dodgers, 17 January 2015 - 07:15 AM.
Promoting TKing

#25 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:41 PM

PLEASE GOD YES MY KITOX IS NOT I REPEAT IS NOT A SHIELD FOR YOUR ATLAS

#26 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 12 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

I refer to the solution to this problem as 'gun clearing my six'. Had several instances where a light decided to be a doorstop behind me, holding me in place for a volley of LRMs or AC fire. I simply turn and open up on them in PuG matches. Gods help them if I'm in my King Crab....

I'm also blown away by folks that run through a stream of AC fire to get at someone, get cut to ribbons by it, then whine about it in chat. How can your situational awareness be that bad? Does target fixation have that tight a grip on you? If I'm on full auto and you get between me and the target due to not paying attention, it's on you. Maybe next time you'll understand that isn't the wisest course of action.

#27 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 12 January 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

They dont want you as a shield, they are waiting for you to move so they can start unloading their heavy weapons through the choke point.
The things have no maneuverability, they cant just go sideways a bit and squeeze past or strafe in and out when an enemy comes, the cant just move to the next point because it will take them 20 seconds to get to a position which takes the light 3, they need to be standing there waiting.

You are basically standing in front of a stationary turret, rendering it useless.
Let the assault do its task of waiting for something to peek out of the corner, get mobile and find the enemy assaults backside to burn off instead.

#28 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 08:58 PM

View Postkosmos1214, on 12 January 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

What is your kitfox doing in front of an Atlas. You are lucky it was not a Direwolf, somebody could have been hurt.

View Postjoelmuzz, on 12 January 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

They dont want you as a shield, they are waiting for you to move so they can start unloading their heavy weapons through the choke point. The things have no maneuverability, they cant just go sideways a bit and squeeze past or strafe in and out when an enemy comes, the cant just move to the next point because it will take them 20 seconds to get to a position which takes the light 3, they need to be standing there waiting. You are basically standing in front of a stationary turret, rendering it useless.

This. Imagine the angst missing the potential to do around 50 damage on a mech directly infront of you, just because your team mate is in your way... ...who knows, that could be the side torso of the 9S that will later kill half the team, or the legs of an enemy Direwolf, crippling one of their most deadly mechs...

The same goes for meatshielding... ...you want to hug the rear of your assaults and help the enemy team win by allowing them to rek your assaults. Please go ahead; otherwise show some common sense. Every mech needs some space, the game is not a rush to see who can have the biggest mech orgy on one spot.

Just saying.

Edited by White Bear 84, 12 January 2015 - 08:58 PM.

#29 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

View PostChapeL, on 22 July 2013 - 09:00 PM, said:

This doesn't only happen to assault pilots. I've had people block me like than in my Yen-lo Wang. I usually notice it when I'm taking fire and can't back out from it. That's when the AC20 gets the message across that I really don't like it when my teamates touch me there. <_<

I spray lasers all around when they do this to me.

all they have to do is stand 20m away and if you start going backwards, then they can start going backwards. not that hard.

Now if there is a terra therma traffic jam, you usually end up dead. (another reason I never go on those ramps.

#30 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostBloodweaver, on 22 July 2013 - 05:21 AM, said:

If you don't want to be a shield for your teammates, you shouldn't be using assault 'mechs.

an atlas can privde cover without needing to crawl in his butt.

#31 terrycloth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 769 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 12:53 PM

I try to do this to enemy mechs in my lights. Sometimes they're distracted enough by the people in front of them shooting them not to try to turn around and shoot back at me. Either way I win, though; they'll usually miss and oh look they turned their back on the people shooting at them...

#32 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

Know exactly how you feel OP. Has happened to me way too many times in PUG matches, and usually when I'm in a medium or light with chicken assaults expecting me to lead. Must be drawing the same Elo pool I am.

Can't tell you how many time I cracked my wife up by yelling out "STOP HUMPING ME!!"

Also can't wait until knockdown is brought back, especially the Dragon knockdown. Want to crawl up my bum? I'll just back over you, leaving you trying to get up, and taking all the shots you would have had me taken from the 4-5 enemy mechs.

#33 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Lost half my Dragon's armor on Caustic tonight because an Assault was standing directly behind me, blocking me in front of 5 enemies.

Man I hate that.

#34 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 14 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 22 July 2013 - 05:25 AM, said:

just wait for collisions.

I miss the days of knockdowns :( Google a video called "Dragon Bowling"..those were the good old days of mech tackling and million c-bill matches...

Today is a yawn fest...of lag, mechs walking through one another and everyone shooting each other in the back for all the stupid reasons listed above.

#35 Rashhaverak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 612 posts
  • LocationMajestic Waterfowl Sanctuary

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:24 PM

Let's be fair. I also hate when you are on a map and trying to push, or support a push onto a raised part of the jungle, or into the pug zapper on Mordor, and the shmuck in front of you suddenly decides that he's going to start backpedaling. You weren't on his ass, you didn't intend to block him in, but he's reversing into you as fast as he can and is now blocking your advance. This happened to me the other day. I'm a hundred meters behind a teammate and we're both going up a hill, and he changes his mind and starts backing up while I'm still trying to go up. Suddenly, I'm somehow in his way, even though he's the ******* that's not looking at where he's going (backing up).

#36 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:49 PM

This is why i don't use atlas anymore, everyone thinks you are a shield, i like to leave atlas room to move.

However, in random public matches i found it is hilarious to take a locust behind the red team as they climb the ramps at terra therma and stop them backing away from my team. They have no idea i was there. One turns around and starts shooting at me and his team is like "why are you shooting at me?". Then my team walks in on them. Ok that probably almost counts as game physic abuse..

Edited by HimseIf, 14 January 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#37 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 12 January 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

They dont want you as a shield, they are waiting for you to move so they can start unloading their heavy weapons through the choke point.
The things have no maneuverability, they cant just go sideways a bit and squeeze past or strafe in and out when an enemy comes, the cant just move to the next point because it will take them 20 seconds to get to a position which takes the light 3, they need to be standing there waiting.

You are basically standing in front of a stationary turret, rendering it useless.
Let the assault do its task of waiting for something to peek out of the corner, get mobile and find the enemy assaults backside to burn off instead.

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 12 January 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

What is your kitfox doing in front of an Atlas. You are lucky it was not a Direwolf, somebody could have been hurt.

This. Imagine the angst missing the potential to do around 50 damage on a mech directly infront of you, just because your team mate is in your way... ...who knows, that could be the side torso of the 9S that will later kill half the team, or the legs of an enemy Direwolf, crippling one of their most deadly mechs...

The same goes for meatshielding... ...you want to hug the rear of your assaults and help the enemy team win by allowing them to rek your assaults. Please go ahead; otherwise show some common sense. Every mech needs some space, the game is not a rush to see who can have the biggest mech orgy on one spot.

Just saying.

the time im referring to i was ASKED to go take a peek maybe launch a uav you know the drill and yes this is a pug match so we all expect the odd case and the atlas fallows me i dident see him as i was trying to peek and not get seen and then of some saw me so i needed to back up but guess what he climbed right up my tail pipe and sat there now i try to give the big guys room i play one my self but i can only do so much when the guy stands on my heels

#38 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Oh man, I sympathise OP. Nothing worse than trying to hill hump and not being able to back up because a locust has his head up your bum.

#39 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Oh wow... necrothreadomancy :)

Yes - i dislike this as we all do. A few times as we are all untangling ourselves and being fired upon I might just happen to Alpha a few times into the schmucks who ran up my bum...

All is fair in love and war.

J2L

#40 Smoked

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 319 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

Yes this irritates me as well. However it's even worse when you are ahead of other people and going after mech that is also far ahead and your team starts shooting your back. I started flanking more but noticed ma damage go down due to not being in the opportune locations during initial contact, which is irritating as well.

Another thing is a light stopping in a narrow corridor with a lot of mechs behind him effectively stopping the whole team from getting to a good location, viridian bog.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users