- - - - -

The Sarah's Mech Charity Initiative - Jr7-D(S)

749 replies to this topic

#741 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:43 PM

I find this all so crass, really, people wanting stuff as return for Giving to charity, people saying ohh i missed it or a company scorring brownie points in the name of charity.
Real charitable people dont need a return or praise for their charitable efforts.
Want to really donate to charity goto or send a donation to your favorite charity, done, there you will receive your reward a good feeling and a thank you..

#742 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 20 March 2015 - 11:01 AM

...but I haz mech and fuzzy feeling. That seems better. (>,<)

#743 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 19 March 2015 - 02:43 PM, said:

I find this all so crass, really, people wanting stuff as return for Giving to charity, people saying ohh i missed it or a company scorring brownie points in the name of charity.
Real charitable people dont need a return or praise for their charitable efforts.
Want to really donate to charity goto or send a donation to your favorite charity, done, there you will receive your reward a good feeling and a thank you..

Yet if this raises money for a worthy charity, it shouldn't be done? Seems like the people who whined about the group who farmed sea turtles for profit and got them shut down, thus ensuring that the poachers could make money at it again thus further harming the wild population.

Or in other words, sometimes the end does justify the means.

#744 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 20 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 20 March 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yet if this raises money for a worthy charity, it shouldn't be done? Seems like the people who whined about the group who farmed sea turtles for profit and got them shut down, thus ensuring that the poachers could make money at it again thus further harming the wild population.

Or in other words, sometimes the end does justify the means.

Or, how about, if you want to donate to charity, donate to charity because you want to. We don't need a reason to donate, we just should. Asking for something isn't donating, it's like saying "Hey PGI, can you put this mech up for sale again, but just give the money somewhere else?"

Still looking for a reason to donate to charity?
www.humblebundle.com/

Quite frankly, I don't think PGI should take responsibility to get people to donate. That's up to you. Sarah's Jenner was in memory of Sarah, and the charity was run because it had context at the time. It happened, it's done, and the MWO raised an surprising amount. However, since it hasn't been done annually, there's no tradition to be held. And bringing it back now would just be to appease those who want the special mech and that's all there is to it. There is no reason to bring it back, and there's no reason that PGI should hold another charity event. Just because you keep blanketing it with a "it's for a good cause" excuse, I would prefer not to endorse selfish behavior, and rather see people donating to charity without expecting something in return.

There was a thread about bringing Sarah's mech back, and everyone in that thread just kept on saying "I'll buy it."
Key word being buy, folks.
Want to donate? Go and do it. You don't need an excuse to other than you just should if you want to. Stop trying to cover it up with 'good cause'. Of course it's a good cause. It's an even better one when someone doesn't have to give you crap to feel compelled to actually donate.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 20 March 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#745 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

Sarah's Jenner IIC?

RAM
ELH

#746 KuroNyra

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 23 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

To make it again would be a mistake. It has a context well defined. It was in memory of a particular player. That's not something you can do all years...

But hey, even when there was a context, some guys found a way to complain about that. Right Vassago huh? :P

#747 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 26 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

You want a charity initiative? Organize one yourself. Or organize all of the people who want another initiative and then do it.

PGI did it once, jumping through all of the hoops and dealing with the red tape. That's more than most companies do, and all we can ask of them. They don't need to be the primary on another one, or even the same one every year.

#748 TeteSP

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 117 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 02 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

Ive read the history of Sarah few minutes ago,it touched me. I see that donations is closed but the mech still can be purchaesable?

#749 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

View PostTeteSP, on 02 May 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

Ive read the history of Sarah few minutes ago,it touched me. I see that donations is closed but the mech still can be purchaesable?

It was a charity reward. Think of it like the big pink ribbons you get for donating to cancer research.

They aren't retail items, either.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users