49 replies to this topic

#41 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

Why does everyone think its the spider hitboxes that are the problem?

Yes I have seen how tanky the spiders are but PGI didnt change anything to do with them atleast nothing was ever listed in the patch notes about the spider and the body parts haven't been altered, this is a new/old hit registration/netcode problem.

There is a reason ravens seem to be rarer these days compared to months ago and in closed beta, everyone cried about the hit registration on the raven 3L and instead they screwed with the leg hitboxes of all 3 ravens.

Please please dont screw with the spider, yes its got problems but screwing with the hitboxes is not a way to fix clearly broken netcode/HSR or whatever this current problem is.

Yes ppcs and ballistic fire should blow an arm or leg off with good hits thats the obvious risk of taking a light mech into battle especially when the 20 toners come out but the spider mech is designed to be small and compact with tightly packed hitboxes that spread damage of missiles and beam weapons.

PLEASE PGI dont screw up my one love left in this game.

#42 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostXANi, on 23 July 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

They should rename it to phase spider, I've seen one running in circles around group of 5 mechs for a minute till he finally died

I call them "spider-atlas"...30 ton mech with the armor of an Atlas. There will be a flash flood of QQ tears on the forums from all the "I'm l33t" spider pilots (who really arn't) when they finally (hopefully?) fix the hit boxes.

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 24 July 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

PLEASE PGI dont screw up my one love left in this game.

Dude, your ride is ridiculously OP...and you know it. They need to be *fixed*, not "screwed up".

#43 Event Horizon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Stop the Spider hate! Their hit boxes work fine. You may be experiencing HSR lag shielding, which happens to any lagging mech. I have seen almost every mech seem invincible because of HSR. My Spiders get hit fine because I have a low ping, however most people shooting simply miss or barely scrape me. Like another pilot said above, go to testing grounds and you will see their hit boxes work fine.

#44 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

View PostDeaconW, on 24 July 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

Dude, your ride is ridiculously OP...and you know it. They need to be *fixed*, not "screwed up".

That would explain why I have been driving other mechs, I refuse to play them in their easy mode state, its just I dont think its the spiders hitbox fault, I get the same results in any other mech I own that can touch the 150kph speedcap.

Lagshield is back something in one of the recent patches broke something else.

#45 DeaconW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:10 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 24 July 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

That would explain why I have been driving other mechs, I refuse to play them in their easy mode state,

You Sir, are a gentleman.

its just I dont think its the spiders hitbox fault, I get the same results in any other mech I own that can touch the 150kph speedcap.

Lagshield is back something in one of the recent patches broke something else.

I do agree that there are other hit detection issues going on as well (I have shot some mechs at point blank range for zero damage multiple times). PGI has publicly acknowledged the issue: http://mwomercs.com/...76#entry2546576) but not definitively said what the issue is. I believe there are two issues...buggy hitboxes on some mechs (cent and spider most noticeable) and buggy hit detection in general. Spiders get the "stacked effect"... :)

Edited by DeaconW, 25 July 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#46 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

View PostDeaconW, on 25 July 2013 - 04:10 AM, said:

You Sir, are a gentleman.

Well for myself and I would assume most other spider lovers have fallen in love with them due to the challenge and difficulty of performing well with them with limited hardpoints and options, especially the K and V variants.

When I found out that they had become the new 3L with the lag or whatever it is they have suddenly lost their spark.

When I have been playing I have leaned towards my jennerD(f)/raven4x/DK and my Cicada, While they do still seem to have hit registration problems as everything not standing still seems to have right now they are not easy mode as they spread damage less than the spider.

To continue on topic

Currently the lag spider + its small tightly packed hitboxes is clearly a problem but only the lag part is the real problem the small cramped hitboxes come with the mech and that is the way its designed not a problem to be fixed as it has a tiny tiny body.

There is no way to "fix the hitboxes" without changing the shape of the mech and that is just silly, sure they could move the hitboxes around on the mech for example make front side torso smaller and make the front center torso bigger or whatever but it is still a tiny frame designed to avoid or at the least spread out the damage.

Anyway most people complaining about the spiders seem to be confused on what hitboxes and hit registration actually are. For example complaining about shooting a jenner in the back center torso but the damage is registering on the front center torso is a hitbox problem, complaining that I shot at a spider or back in the day a raven 3L with a PPC/AC and it did zero damage or only partial damage from my large lasers is NOT a hitbox problem people... what you have there is a lag/HSR/netcode/server/and so on problem.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 25 July 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#47 Kazly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:52 AM

I love spiders, but can no longer defend their hitboxes don't have an issue. While the area of concern is small enough that I tend to believe most bitching/griping has to do with convergence/aim/netcode, there is without a doubt a problem and until that gets fixed I'll have to put up with all of the griping :)

We'll see something soon about it, but it won't be from me.

#48 Bolgani

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:19 AM

Just to chime in . . . something is definitely odd with the Spiders, be it hitboxes, netcode, HSR, or whatever. When they're running by at 100+ KPH they're hard to hit - fine, it's easy to see why. BUT . . . in a game the other day I happened upon a stationary Spider, silhouetted against the sky. At maybe 100m I unloaded on it with my 4x AC2 Jagermech - perfect target, all apparent hits. Got in 9 or 10 shots (!) before he belatedly moved, which should be good for 72 or 80 damage. Typically, on most other mechs, this type of sustained barrage will blow SOMETHING off, or do SOME damage.

But I might as well have been throwing marshmellows for all the affect it had on that Spider.

In other games I've seen Spiders getting shot at by multiple mechs - all the concentrated laser fire makes the Spider light up continuously. But like the Energizer bunny, he keeps going . . . and going . . . and going . . .

#49 MrJolly

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 24 July 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

Why does everyone think its the spider hitboxes that are the problem?

Because shooting a still standing spider (like 5 seconds of standing still, shooting at someone else) straight in the back from 120m with 2 x ppc + 2 x ac/10 should register some damage. And preferrably a little more damage than a slight yellow colouring of the armor.

#50 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:16 PM

View PostMrJolly, on 29 July 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

Because shooting a still standing spider (like 5 seconds of standing still, shooting at someone else) straight in the back from 120m with 2 x ppc + 2 x ac/10 should register some damage. And preferrably a little more damage than a slight yellow colouring of the armor.

That is obviously a problem with the code which makes the spider stand out yes, but that hardly sounds like a hitbox problem, it sounds like the same old raven 3L problem has returned as in HIT REGISTRATION or LAGSHIELD

Hitboxes are just the locations of the mech and the way the total armor points are distributed around the mechs body.
All this high alpha pinpoint damage, may it be lasers, ppcs or autocannons should rip chunks off a spider if you get a hit registered on your HUD and before the last patch or so they did.

You people really should try to understand the difference between the lag/hit registration and hitboxes instead of just crying that the spider needs its hitboxes nerfed as I keep seeing in multiple threads and in turn destroying a really great and unique mech. If the spider had all its armor points in one big hitbox covering the entire mech, aka no tightly packed torso hitboxes or separate armor on each arm or leg I would bet that this problem would be exactly the same.

There is no hitbox problem on the spider that makes it broken or immortal, there is a clear problem with the hit registration on all lights and other fast mechs due to some new lagshield or something else it may not even be the same problem as what caused the 3L back in the day to be god.

The problem has been quite obvious on jenners, commandos and cicadas as well, and it seems that my ping has gone slightly up specifically thanks to one of these most recent patches, and before these patches none of these things was ever a problem.

The only reason everyone is bashing the spider currently is because it has the smallest profile and the smallest arms and legs and jumpjets and therefore designed to be very small and agile and extremely hard to hit and target specific bodyparts and this new problem clearly affects the spider the most due to its small and compact size.

If the flea with or without masc was in game right now all that hate would most likely be directed at the flea instead

Who knows this extended downtime for a server hardware upgrade http://mwomercs.com/...time-july-30th/ might improve things significantly as well as what ever bigfixes may come.

Edited by MonkeyCheese, 29 July 2013 - 06:22 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users