So ugly, even the MWO design team couldn't make it look good...

150 replies to this topic

#141 PLOG

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

What? no luv for my little pony mech? that's harsh:P

Sorry bout the Falconner, can't be expected to hit a homerun on all the 3055's. The Matador is ugly.....no question. I would also add to my own list of fugly, the Thunder Stallion. UGLY

http://www.sarna.net...hunder_Stallion

mattPLOG

#142 cipher

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationState College, PA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

View PostPLOG, on 19 June 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

Sorry bout the Falconner, can't be expected to hit a homerun on all the 3055's. The Matador is ugly.....no question. I would also add to my own list of fugly, the Thunder Stallion. UGLY

mattPLOG

Wow, that one is fugly, lol.

#143 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

View Postcipher, on 19 June 2012 - 05:19 AM, said:

Each to his own. I personally love the "unseen" mechs. But if you think they don't really "work" with Battletech/Mechwarrior, you're sorely mistaken. The very roots of Battletech is the "unseen" mechs and other artwork they ripped from Robotech. And those mechs are the farthest removed from Japanese Anime as Anime could get.

Sorry, completely and utterly disagree with you. You can keep your fugly 3058 and 3060 tech readout artwork and I'll keep my 3025 stuff. :lol:

Ah, no worries. I was introduced to battletech shortly after they dropped the battledroids name so I'm well aware of the unseens influence on the lore. Oh, I do like the rifleman too. Now I do think that there are some good 3058 and 60 designs (i'm thinkin' of the bushy in particular), but I'm most partial to the clan 3050 designs. The Timber Wolf, Adder, Nova and Mad Dog are just superb in my opinion.

That "horn" (I know it's supposed to be an ams) on the crusader just really bugs me though :-D

#144 Brachus

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

View PostPLOG, on 19 June 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

mattPLOG

I actually don't mind the look of the Falconer myself, ignoring the practicality of its walking ability...as for your Thunder Stallion....WOW! That is pretty bad....in fact, I think it gets my vote on this topic!

#145 TKG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 182 posts
  • LocationThe Sandhills of NC

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

might have you beat how about this mental lapse in mech design.....

http://www.sarna.net...le:Bishamon.jpg

No really it's actually called the bishamon....

Or this one...
http://www.sarna.net...e:Peregrine.jpg

Apprently the clans were so hard up for a battlemech design that they stole from Gundam.... up here for both being rediculous and obvious plagarism material.

#146 Xetherius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

View PostStormeris, on 11 June 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

It's QUADRUPEDAL, AND THEYRE F*CKING AWESOME!!!! :blink:

But... The Awesome isn't quadrupedal...:)

Also, what's with the Yeoman hate? It's merely the Catapult taken to its logical extreme. Honestly, it may look a bit silly standing still, but you won't be thinking that after a couple dozen LRMs slam into your cockpit.

And with a bit of a redesign, pretty much all of the ugly mechs could look decent. Or at least passable.

#147 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 19 June 2012 - 06:36 PM

It doesn't exactly made sense though, with missile pod making such a large chunk of it's body mass, the loss of one (assuming the mech survives with CASE from such catastrophic detonation), would result in a grossly imbalanced mass...

not sure how the design is supposed to stand when it's left/right heavy to such degree with the loss of one of the pod since that means suddenly you got a mech with nearly most of it's weight on one side.

it's not even something that needs much of a logic, it would just look visually awkward when it happens.

#148 Xetherius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 163 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Periphery...

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Battle damage can make even the most awesome mech look silly, and the Yeoman is geared for a long range fire support role, and as such it ONLY HAS LRMs. It's not supposed to be shot at, and if it is under attack, either it was ambushed (probably by lights/meds), the pilot's an *****, or the rest of the lance aren't protecting them.
Also, if the Catapult, or perhaps even the Mad Cat, lost one of it's missle racks, they'd also become severely imbalanced. Chances are the missle racks would be detachable, so the destruction of one (assuming the mech is not lost) would allow the pilot to drop the other, balancing the weight, and although defenseless dropping the missile racks would decrease the weight, meaning a faster escape from the combat scenario. The Yeoman is a very specialized mech that doesn't see wide use because of its limitations, however, it is quite good at what it's built to do.

#149 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

Well that's the thing, with Catapult and TimberWolf you look at them and they already make you wonder how it remains upright the moment one of it's pod detonated.

Yeoman simply took it to even more extreme end , more so than either Cat or TimberWolf, i mean look at it... each of the pod have more mass volume than it's own main torso.

And yeah it's a fire support, in the fictional world of Battletech where they only have the range of an LRM which let's be frank here.. is not actually that long, it WILL be shot since anytime it is in range of it's LRM, so is it in range of their LRM or other long range weapon in all likelihood. I mean come on, it's a battlemech armed with regular armaments that most other battlemech can carry, albeit in lesser amount. Unless Yeoman is used STRICTLY with NARC forward observer and nothing else, it like any other battlemech really... should expect to be shot to some degree.

Edited by Melcyna, 20 June 2012 - 05:35 AM.

#150 Joeseph Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:45 AM

View PostHarabec Weathers, on 11 June 2012 - 10:34 AM, said:

Posted Image

i'm probably in the minority, but that looks pretty cool...

#151 Joeseph Pierce

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 107 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostJacough, on 11 June 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

FlyingDebris (MWO's artist) already redid the crab, the king crab, and the spy crab. They're beautiful. Don't have the picture on my laptop here though.

SpyCrab? TF2 REFERENCE FTW

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users