65 replies to this topic

#1 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

How many units / individuals would be interested in doing a Davion Tournament?

While we wait to see what is going on with Community Warfare we need to keep the game alive and this would be a fun way to pass the time.

Post up if your interested or have ideas or suggestions!

EDIT:
Goals of the tournament:
Longer Matches
Community Driven
Fun and Challenging

Edited by AA Yeti, 27 July 2013 - 03:50 AM.

#2 Cantatta

• PipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 32 posts
  • LocationAmerica

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

Sign me up, I'm happy to play the game for whatever reason! :)

#3 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostCantatta, on 26 July 2013 - 06:53 AM, said:

Sign me up, I'm happy to play the game for whatever reason! :)

Sounds good!

Also feel free to post up formats or suggestions you would like to see.

#4 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

I'll throw this idea up on the C4 website, I'm sure you'll get some takers!

Aside from the practical challenges of getting into the same drop, there's loads of things we could do -
Lights/Med/Heavy/Assault only
Specific mechs only
Trial mechs only (my fav)

How about to promote House Davion teamplay, we do mixed Lances?
4man HHoD + 4man C4 -VS- 4man Golden Foxes + 4man A N Other???
/Trak

#5 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

Just another C4 member Approving this, Just time is my problem.

#6 Miekael

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationNevada, USA

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

If anyone is on in The Fallen channel at the time, come on down and hit us up, we love dropping with/against our Davion brothers.

#7 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

View PostBigTrak, on 26 July 2013 - 07:44 AM, said:

I'll throw this idea up on the C4 website, I'm sure you'll get some takers!

Aside from the practical challenges of getting into the same drop, there's loads of things we could do -
Lights/Med/Heavy/Assault only
Specific mechs only
Trial mechs only (my fav)

How about to promote House Davion teamplay, we do mixed Lances?
4man HHoD + 4man C4 -VS- 4man Golden Foxes + 4man A N Other???
/Trak

Yeah I figure if we can have a few 4 man groups all dropping at the same time we will get a few match ups, or take the 8 man approach. This should be a community driven event so what ever the people want the people will get!

#8 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

The Scorpion Alliance would ALWAYS be interested in something like this,especially if it is Davion driven,however...
Could you possibly enlighten those of us on the specifics of this tournie and how it would work

Edited by LordRush, 26 July 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#9 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostLordRush, on 26 July 2013 - 10:11 AM, said:

The Scorpion Alliance would ALWAYS be interested in something like this,especially if it is Davion driven,however...
Could you possibly enlighten those of us on the specifics of this tournie and how it would work

Right now I am looking to see what the community wants from it, then we will take a vote to the things that are possible and set a drop format, scoring system, etc.

Right now I just want to gather a interest level and help establish good relations among all Davion units. What better way then to blow ourselves apart?

Is there something specific you are looking for?

#10 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

I would have to say the biggest "issue" of this is the ability to gather teams that will actually be able to drop as a whole against either. In my mind, I am thinking the only way to do this would be to sync drop. Although this is frowned upon by IGP, it does happen and happens regularly. I am just as guilty. The other potential issue[s] with sync dropping is the actual game play, meaning Assault / Conquest. As well, the tonnage. All of these combined do not mean that it will actually always work out as I am sure you are aware. This is just a few areas I feel that could hamper such a tournament.
Just as a note. The hot and heavy tournie before worked well because we could all sync drop....now, it is not that easy.

#11 BigTrak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 139 posts
  • LocationNorniron

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Agreed LordRush, the logistics are a challenge. Guess going 8man drops may be easier as less populated? Even then it's a lot down to luck... If we all get in same TS server that will help synch the drops. I can't see what more we can do?

Defo interested in pursuing this though. Maybe get a date in the diary in a week or two to give everyone time to come up with some formats. C4 has mix of Euro/US players so would Fri/Sat work for everyone?

I'll chat to the guys and gals tonight and get some ideas together.

#12 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Yeah that is going to be an issue,
Here is how I think it would work in my mind (Not how it has to be)
Ideally we would have 4 Drop Lobbies of 8 man. Each drop lobby would have 4 players from a unit so a Drop would consist of two different teams working together.
Drop leads back same game mode (Assault).
Sync Drop

Until they give us private lobbies we have no choice but to do sync drops, but since the purpose of this is strengthen the community I am sure they won't frown too much.

If there are Individual Pilots that want to just drop with a random group they can fill in for units that only managed to get 3 people on. I agree though that getting alot of people on all at the same time will be hard.

Yeah this will have to be atleast a 3 weeks out so people can figure out what days times then can commit to.

I know HHoD would be more than happy to setup up space for other units to come in and help with Sync dropping

#13 CompproB237

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

I think our team could get in on this. Most of us are available in the evenings (4pm-11pm Pacific).

My idea for matches would be self-imposed weight limits for teams. We could also throw in things like Stock-loadout only as well. I know I'd love a Weight limit + Stock only match.

#14 Zynct

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

C4 member here interested. Shame we don't have the private lobbies yet for this, but do what we can. I also love the idea of trails only, really strips back to the bacis, skill driven matches, but would also like to see a ton limit per team too.

Zynct.

#15 Kyle_Reece

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

I am sure the 286th Highlander Dragoons will be up for it.. I am unable to do anything on the weekends due to work, but the others should be able to get involved. Just let us know what, where, and when and we will do our best to get there.

#16 Taren Avalis

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 23 posts
  • LocationGreat Gorge, Crucis March

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

RL Permitting another C4 member interested in participating just for fun and practice. Sync dropping with a big team is probably the best we'll be able to manage but it would still be fun to get a big group of us together at once trying - I'm sure we'll have decent success getting into games together. Not sure how much of an actual bracket you could have could maybe just tabulate the end results to try to determine winners or honorable mentions.

#17 LordRush

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 422 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 PM

Yes, imho I do believe the Davion TS would have to be a must.
Sync dropping would be a must
As well, I think weight sanctions would need to be imposed for balancing.
On MPBT:Solaris with the Solaris Lance League we would have a best of 7 matches ranging from matches of 1:True Lance (consisting of one of each weight class) 2: Lites 3: Meds 4: Assaults 5: tie breaker if needed would go to the away team to call on of the 5 listed above.
With no particular order called unless stated by the Home team.

I would also suggest that it be made an Assault only game style. Conquest is really screwy with MM. It also imho is more of a tactical game representing a higher skill level

Brackets could be useful. If you have a little time, check out the SLL page (That STILL is up after all these years) and see how it was done. One of our Davion units of old The Fallen created this before. I wonder if they would be interested again. The site is cool, check it out.. http://www.solarislanceleague.com/

Edited by LordRush, 26 July 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#18 Kyle_Reece

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:30 PM

I cannot wait till they add a lobby and such so we can get these types of things going. It will be so much easier to get everything set up.

#19 AA Yeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 194 posts
  • LocationNaperville, IL

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

Since we can't do set drops of teams specific teams playing against each other (Not as of yet) I figured we could just give teams a score, So we have our 4 teams of 8 each consisting of 4 people from a set unit, (With individual pilots who want to play but don't have a unit filling in.)
Each player will get a score, and each Lance will get a score.
I.E. (These are just examples, nothing set in stone)
Lance Scores(10 pts per kill, - 5 per death, + 5 per lancenmate alive at end of match)
Player Scores(10 pts per kill)
Since not everyone will be able to play the same amount of games or always be on the, everyone's end score will be divided by the amount of matches that they played, which will be a logistical nightmare but to make it fair that's just going to have to be the way it's done(Unless we can come up with a different scoring system or set of "rules").

This way players can setup games when ever. They just hop on the dedicated TS to see what other players are looking to drop for the tourny and then they can sync up, afterwards a captain from each lance takes a screenshot and sends it in so the scores can be tabulated and it removes any trust or dishonesty issues (Not that I am worried about that, but it;s a built in fail safe).

I like the idea of using trial mechs ALOT for the tournament. The thing I like least about MWO right now is that matches last only a couple minutes, I also like the idea of the teams agreeing on a weight limit, or maybe we post a weight limit of the day or a mech limit of the day (4 lights, 2Lights + 2 Heavies, etc).

Thoughts or suggestions?

#20 VasilyZaitsev

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 44 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationWesley, IA

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

It's pretty easy to do if we set it up with drop limits... 475-525 tons is really fun! The HeadHunters ran two tournaments in the last 3 months... a 1 V 1 tourney and a 2 v 2 tourney to great success. Mind you they were dropped on conquest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users