How Many Armor Plate A Mech Has? How Much Damage Does A Ppc Shot? Any Guide?

18 replies to this topic

#1 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

I've played like 200 games so far and I still can't tell how many armor plate the mech has on each part. Anybody got an idea or could say how the damm damage indicator is working???

Anybody know a thread or a guide that show more about the damage of each weapons. How many shot of ppc is require to kill the smaller one, front, back... And the Atlas?

#2 zraven7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Ok, there are guides, but I'll go ahead and just answer.

First, a PPC does 10 damage. In mechlab, when you select a weapon, all pertinent information about the weapon is posted on the bottom of the UI. Heat, ranges, damage and weight are all listed.

Second, the damage indicator is color coded. It shows each of the internal sections, the solid gray parts, surrounded by the armor, the gray lines. When armor takes damage the line changes color, from gray to yellow, to orange, to red, to gone. Once the armor is gone, the internals take damage in the same way.

Important is that while the torso armor plates for the front and back are different, the internals are the same. There is only center, right, and left internals.

The armor amount is dependent on the mech. You can check mechbuilder for total possible armor for each variant. The internal hit points are a factor of max external armor (1/2 max armor of the section), again dependent on the mech variant.

As an example, An Atlas can allocate a total of 124 points of armor to it's center torso, split between front and back. A common split is 84 points to the front, 40 to the back. Since it's total possible armor to the CT is 124, it's internal structure points are 62. This means, with the current build, you'd need to deal 146 points of damage to the front (15 optimal-range PPC shots) or 102 points to the back (11 optimal range PPC shots) to drop the Atlas.

Hope that helps.

Edited by zraven7, 26 July 2013 - 09:00 AM.

#3 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Postzraven7, on 26 July 2013 - 08:58 AM, said:

As an example, An Atlas can allocate a total of 124 points of armor to it's center torso, split between front and back. A common split is 84 points to the front, 40 to the back. Since it's total possible armor to the CT is 124, it's internal structure points are 62. This means, with the current build, you'd need to deal 146 points of damage to the front (15 optimal-range PPC shots) or 102 points to the back (11 optimal range PPC shots) to drop the Atlas.

Hope that helps.

It's not that, but 70 point of armor mean 7 shot of 10 point damage weapons?

btw thanks to you both. great

#4 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostMak54291, on 26 July 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

It's not that, but 70 point of armor mean 7 shot of 10 point damage weapons?

btw thanks to you both. great

Yes, 1 point of armour = 1 point of damage.

#5 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

View Postwarner2, on 26 July 2013 - 03:43 PM, said:

Yes, 1 point of armour = 1 point of damage.

Ok good!

#6 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

But how do you explain that lrm20 do 1.1 of damage???

#7 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

View PostMak54291, on 26 July 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

But how do you explain that lrm20 do 1.1 of damage???

The damage was raised due to how the missiles end up performing in-game, since not every missile seems to register in hitting the target, so there is lost damage on hitting a target, not only missing a target.

But when they do register they do pack a wallop.

#8 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostThontor, on 26 July 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

That is the damage per missile. It fires 20 missiles for a total potential damage of 22

Ok, I do the right choice to install that on my 100 tons than!

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

The Atlas doesn't do too well with a lot of LRM launchers, and LRM launchers tend to work the best if you have a lot of them. You should also remember that the LRM spreads its damage around, so it's not going all to one spot - even with Atemis and a TAG laser. Still, if you're having fun with it, and it works for you, do it! Just be prepared to change it if you find that it doesn't work so well later on.

#10 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 27 July 2013 - 10:42 AM, said:

The Atlas doesn't do too well with a lot of LRM launchers, and LRM launchers tend to work the best if you have a lot of them. You should also remember that the LRM spreads its damage around, so it's not going all to one spot - even with Atemis and a TAG laser. Still, if you're having fun with it, and it works for you, do it! Just be prepared to change it if you find that it doesn't work so well later on.

No it really give a all rounded mech. Good for close range, med range and short range. Very good.

Edited by Mak54291, 27 July 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#11 Devari

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostMak54291, on 27 July 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

No it really give a all rounded mech. Good for close range, med range and short range. Very good.

Based on your grammar it doesn't sound like English is your first language, so you might want to re-read what everyone has been telling if you want to improve your understanding of the game. Different mechs are used for different builds and trying to produce a "well rounded" mech or to make a mech fill a role it isn't good at will quickly turn your mech into a walking target. I can guarantee that your "well rounded" Atlas will die vs. just about any other Atlas build out there because it has no particular strengths. My brawling atlas (D-DC) can take down two long-range Atlases up close because it has the hardpoints to do that well and uses ECM to get in close. Your atlas won't do anything well and will die vs. brawllers, snipers and LRMs. Although most "canon" batteltech designs are "well-rounded" this simply isn't how the game works.

#12 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

View PostDevari, on 27 July 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Based on your grammar it doesn't sound like English is your first language, so you might want to re-read what everyone has been telling if you want to improve your understanding of the game. Different mechs are used for different builds and trying to produce a "well rounded" mech or to make a mech fill a role it isn't good at will quickly turn your mech into a walking target. I can guarantee that your "well rounded" Atlas will die vs. just about any other Atlas build out there because it has no particular strengths. My brawling atlas (D-DC) can take down two long-range Atlases up close because it has the hardpoints to do that well and uses ECM to get in close. Your atlas won't do anything well and will die vs. brawllers, snipers and LRMs. Although most "canon" batteltech designs are "well-rounded" this simply isn't how the game works.

I don't think I do well with this Atlas than why my sniper with 2 er ppc and two 2ac but I do well so far with this atlas.

Missile are very good now in this game and I use it pretty well with this atlas. Than I move to engage a short range battle with my ac20 wich have only 14 ammo.

And I use all the time my er ppc.

I'm not agree with you, I do well with this mech. Almost always 300 of damage each game and I did 600 this morning.

Edited by Mak54291, 27 July 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#13 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

If it's working for you, by all means rock that missile launcher! However, you should be aware that a good game for me in an Atlas is 700 to 900 damage, and I'm disappointed if I don't break at least 500 in a match. The reason I told you to be prepared to change your build if it stops working is that you'll start seeing different builds as you play matches and rise through the ranks. =) Good luck!

#14 TB Azrael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Here's another site you can look to for info, considering smurfy doesn't always load accurately.
http://mwo.gamepedia...title=Main_Page

#15 Devari

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostMak54291, on 27 July 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

I don't think I do well with this Atlas than why my sniper with 2 er ppc and two 2ac but I do well so far with this atlas.

Missile are very good now in this game and I use it pretty well with this atlas. Than I move to engage a short range battle with my ac20 wich have only 14 ammo.

And I use all the time my er ppc.

I'm not agree with you, I do well with this mech. Almost always 300 of damage each game and I did 600 this morning.

When you're starting out in the game the system will pair you up with other new players. So you might feel you're doing "well" with your build but as you get better it will probably hold you back. Most people would probably consider around 500 damage per game to be reasonable for an assault mech so inflicting 300 points isn't much. Most players also learn how to avoid certain types of weapons (cover and AMS for LRMs, avoiding LOS for snipers, etc.) and you need to learn how to maximize what you're trying to achieve with any given weapon type. Your Atlas doesn't really do anything well, so just be aware that there are different tiers of players in the game and you will probably have to change your build or tactics if you begin to have problems.

Edited by Devari, 27 July 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#16 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:16 PM

View PostDevari, on 27 July 2013 - 05:09 PM, said:

When you're starting out in the game the system will pair you up with other new players. So you might feel you're doing "well" with your build but as you get better it will probably hold you back. Most people would probably consider around 500 damage per game to be reasonable for an assault mech so inflicting 300 points isn't much. Most players also learn how to avoid certain types of weapons (cover and AMS for LRMs, avoiding LOS for snipers, etc.) and you need to learn how to maximize what you're trying to achieve with any given weapon type. Your Atlas doesn't really do anything well, so just be aware that there are different tiers of players in the game and you will probably have to change your build or tactics if you begin to have problems.

Don't worry I have noticed that I'm playing againts good players.

300 is very good.

Looking at my score is other fps games, I doubt I do bad.

Edited by Mak54291, 27 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#17 Devari

• PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:10 PM

View PostMak54291, on 27 July 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Don't worry I have noticed that I'm playing againts good players.

300 is very good.

Looking at my score is other fps games, I doubt I do bad.

Well, best of luck to you then, but I can say that I'd be very happy to encounter "multi-role" Atlas builds in the games I play. Almost all the mechs I encounter now are designed around an effective theme, and once you play more games you'll probably be matched with better players and will start to see some more effective builds. My UAC5 Jager build would outshoot your atlas and my brawler D-DC Atlas would rip you apart if it got in close. Also, 300 damage in an Atlas isn't "very good" at all, it's definitely on the low side for an assault mech. I'd only consider 300 damage "good" in a light mech (sometimes my spider gets 500-600 damage and that's with a single ER PPC). If I do less than 500 damage in an Atlas or Jager it's because I died early in the match. So as I said I think your view of what's "good" or "effective" will change with some more matches. I've played around 1000 matches by now and I only really fully understood the "good" builds in my last 200 games or so after trying a dozen or so chassis.

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostDevari, on 27 July 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

this simply isn't how the mini-maxes.

Little different from how it 'works'

Thanks to the wonders of Elo - if you are not worried about being absolute top tier, you can play how you want without worrying about that to much.

#19 The Duke of Dirty

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 61 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

Posted Image

- Jules Winnfield (played by Samuel L. Jackson), Pulp Fiction

Edited by Pwnius, 07 August 2013 - 10:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users