#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 26 July 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

I thought that sale was like last week (or 2). There were camos+colors for Awesomes, Stalkers, and Highlanders (this was like a week before the tourney).

There was, but you gotta have the patterns available when making the mechs available, or it'll be hard to sell them to people who don't have them. Otherwise it's a bad marketing plan. But since the game's up -- now to unless another 500+ damage BJ rampage!

Now if I can just stop being the one to offset a team of medium skill enemy players by being put on a team of trials.
Spoiler

#22 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

I have more matches combined with my Awesomes than any other chassis. The three variants I can recommend are the AWS-8Q, the AWS-8R, and the AWS-8V.

The AWS-8Q is great for boating energy weapons. I usually carry three or four PPCs in my 8Q. When I feel like shooting lasers, it can also boat Large Lasers quite well. Just make sure to fire them in pairs.

The 8R is a great missile boat, since its 15-tube torsos can launch massive clouds of LRMs at unfortunate targets. If you like SRMs, put a 275 or 300 engine in this thing and go brawling. Quad SRM-6s really lay down some hurt.

The 8V is a great combination of the 8R and the 8Q. You can carry some SRMs and some PPCs for a multi-ranged loadout, or you can stick in 3 LRM-15s and some medium and large lasers to act as fire support and have a close-range punch if your opponent gets too close for comfort. Plus the AWS-8V is a total oddball since no one usually sees them in matches!

But yes, the Awesome has a huge torso profile. Keep twisting that torso side-by-side. I also recommend the 300 XL for the Awesome, since the CT is more likely to be destroyed than the side torsos.

I wouldn't complain if the Awesome got buffs though. I'd love to see it get a heat scale-related buff so that it can fire more weapons without overheating. I'd actually preferred that the Awesome ignore the heat scale since I feel it is the boat battlemech.

Some hitbox geometry changes would be nice too. How awesome would it be if the Awesome became an 80-ton Centurion, being able to soak up damage and dish it out at the same time, only to be an annoying zombie with a head-mounted medium pulse laser or TAG?

EDIT: Maybe this Awesome sale is a prelude to upcoming Awesome buffs on Tuesday? I can hope!

Edited by TELEFORCE, 26 July 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#23 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:27 AM

It will be interesting to see if the number of awesomes we see on the field increases this weekend as a result of this.

I actually have a 9m build that I liked running, despite it's deficiencies.. but the introduction of Ghost Heat has effectively nerfed it by punishing it for carrying 3 PPC's, which is a fairly standard Awesome loadout.

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 July 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

There was, but you gotta have the patterns available when making the mechs available, or it'll be hard to sell them to people who don't have them. Otherwise it's a bad marketing plan. But since the game's up -- now to unless another 500+ damage BJ rampage!

Yea... combination deals would be nice.

Now if I can just stop being the one to offset a team of medium skill enemy players by being put on a team of trials.

No luck there. ;)

I've had pretty good games while in a BJ during the Mediums vs World tourney... too bad it requires the highest skill and pilot ratio to make good in the non-BJ-1X builds.

#25 Evax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Don't try too hard PGI..We wouldn't want you to get distracted from the important stuff. Like 3rd POV...I mean, CW.

#26 Doctor Smiley

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 101 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between Heaven And Hell

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:42 AM

Actually not caring about this sale at all Logged in after seeing this terrible sale and found my precious sitting in its mech bay...For Sarah mech sitting there ftw=)

Edited by Countess Hemah, 26 July 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#27 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Just bought 180 days Premium Time the other day.

An Awesome 9M on the other hand, I've been waiting for to go on sale. Weoo!

#28 verybad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostGillopi, on 26 July 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

honestly if theres no cb price cut why bother i have enough mech's i payed MC for like the wang, ilya, X-5, Firebrand, misery,jenner F© and dragon slayer why would i want to spend real cash on a mech with no added bonus? I mean realy pgi give us real discounts where we want to play the game. not onesthat make us feel like you just want in are pockets

oh **** oh most forgot and overload package.

They aren't going to have a CB price cut ever, People buying stuff through grind isn't what keeps their offices lights on. I mean, I don't have any bad feelings about that, it's simply something you don't do. I don't play too many F2P games, but I doubt many of they do. Really, why would you?

#29 Tsunamisan

• 1,568 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 26 July 2013 - 09:15 AM, said:

CT's actually identical in width to the Atlas, although it is vertically shorter, as shown here in my Pretty Baby compared to an Atlas.
Spoiler

It is also no wider than the Victor's and skinnier than the Highlander's (slightly). Although the Stalker has the skinniest center torso.

provlem is its CY is the same size for the armor of just a little more than a heavy mech being 80 tons its not really an assult its a speed bump for anything bigger specially stalkers

#30 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostTsunamisan, on 26 July 2013 - 10:56 AM, said:

provlem is its CY is the same size for the armor of just a little more than a heavy mech being 80 tons its not really an assult its a speed bump for anything bigger specially stalkers

Cataphracts are about the same in terms of CT size, no one complains about them. o.O; They also have less armor. Have you considered allocating the armor more to the front?

And how come no one complains about the Victor's CT? It's identical armor. Identical size.

Edited by Koniving, 26 July 2013 - 11:00 AM.

#31 XJ220

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

View Postverybad, on 26 July 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

They aren't going to have a CB price cut ever, People buying stuff through grind isn't what keeps their offices lights on. I mean, I don't have any bad feelings about that, it's simply something you don't do. I don't play too many F2P games, but I doubt many of they do. Really, why would you?

Literally all other F2P games have better offers than this one. And that includes price reductions in normal currency, xp boosts, high discounts, credit earning boosts, missions with rewards, etc... So you might realize how a 30% real-money currency discount on a subpar mech doesn't impress me, or many others, at all.

Of course, with the high amount of 30+ year olds with too much money who haven't played a videogame since the 90's, much less F2P games, it's really easy to sell this off as a good sale, and most eat it up. Thus, the BS "deals" stay the same.

Compared to any other F2P game, everything here is really expensive (maybe except the hero mechs, those I believe are fine)

Here's world of tanks latest special for comparison: http://worldoftanks....coming-special/
Plus there are month-long specials, week-long specials centered on a specific tank line, random deals, etc...
And it's from the EU server, considered the most badly treated by the devs, the russians get WICKED specials. They are also great in WarThunder, and a bit less so in Blacklight: Retribution. Can't speak for any other F2P games in personal experience, but a cursory look at any of their websites will reveal much better specials than the ones we have here.

I've only bought Sarah's mech, and if things don't change it will stay that way.

#32 BigMekkUrDakka

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 213 posts
  • Locationland of AWESOME pilots

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

step1 nerf chassis in the ground
step2 start sale of that chassis
step3 *trollface*

#33 tayhimself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 334 posts
  • LocationAn island

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostXJ220, on 26 July 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

Literally all other F2P games have better offers than this one. And that includes price reductions in normal currency, xp boosts, high discounts, credit earning boosts, missions with rewards, etc... So you might realize how a 30% real-money currency discount on a subpar mech doesn't impress me, or many others, at all.

Of course, with the high amount of 30+ year olds with too much money who haven't played a videogame since the 90's, much less F2P games, it's really easy to sell this off as a good sale, and most eat it up. Thus, the BS "deals" stay the same.

Compared to any other F2P game, everything here is really expensive (maybe except the hero mechs, those I believe are fine)

Here's world of tanks latest special for comparison: http://worldoftanks....coming-special/
Plus there are month-long specials, week-long specials centered on a specific tank line, random deals, etc...
And it's from the EU server, considered the most badly treated by the devs, the russians get WICKED specials. They are also great in WarThunder, and a bit less so in Blacklight: Retribution. Can't speak for any other F2P games in personal experience, but a cursory look at any of their websites will reveal much better specials than the ones we have here.

I've only bought Sarah's mech, and if things don't change it will stay that way.

WoT looks like the biggest money grab in the world. What are you on about?

PGI should be embarrassed to put the AWS on sale. The only people buying non-hero mechs for MC are new players and they will be stuck with these carp mechs that they paid money for but aren't worth a damn on the battlefield.

As an aside, I bought a non-hero AS7-D when it was 50% and I didn't have any assaults. Fast way to bypass grind. But 30% off bad c-bill mechs is bad.

#34 Zany

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:29 PM

This is the worst MWO sale I've ever seen. Jesus...

#35 PanzerMagier

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

They didn't add baby to the sale list? Well that sucks. The only mech I was looking forward to buy.

#36 Aethos

• PipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

PB or 9M, only two AWS mechs that you can actually play like an AWS should be played. The rest aren't fast enough tbh.

I won the Assault vs. the World for the AWS class, and my score would have put me in the top 10 in every other Assault class. So no, the AWS chassis isn't worthless, it's extremely hard to play and most people don't have the patience or skill level to exploit the AWS's strengths.

BTW, i did the tourney soley with my PB, and I'm sick of hearing about the hardpoints, they are actually quite good with the right build.

#37 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:12 PM

I wonder if an underlying purpose of this sale is to determine just how bad player perception of the mech is. They may base how much attention they put toward normalizing it on how poorly the sales go. If I had spare MC, I'd buy a couple Awesomes again for the stable, but I like using chassis that most people think are poor and I still have a vast respect for the AWS from the days of TT.

I do think we all expect this sale to have a pretty poor turnout compared to others.

Edited by Elyam, 26 July 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#38 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 26 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

View PostElyam, on 26 July 2013 - 01:12 PM, said:

I wonder if an underlying purpose of this sale is to determine just how bad player perception of the mech is. They may base how much attention they put toward normalizing it on how poorly the sales go. If I had spare MC, I'd buy a couple Awesomes again for the stable, but I like using chassis that most people think are poor and I still have a vast respect for the AWS from the days of TT.

I do think we all expect this sale to have a pretty poor turnout compared to others.

You could be right, but I don't subscribe to that entirely. If you've noticed for the past 2 weeks (or for the entire month), many of the sales have been heavily geared towards ALL assaults.... hero and otherwise. DS is not on sale... nor were the Victors (early bird special was just for early adopters, but not an actual sale), but they've pretty much sold every possible Assault mech for a while. Just check out the sales they've had for the month. It will confirm what I'm saying.

#39 Psikez

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:34 PM

"This time we're honouring the awesome Awesome". ISN you seem to have looked up "horrible" in a thesaurus and gone with an antonym. Allow me to suggest some other words to help correct this oversight: ghastly, lousy, dreadful, abhorrent, appalling, detestable, or disagreeable.

Much love to all awesome pilots of the Awesome though ;)

#40 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Dear PGI,

If you want people to say "hey wow, I need some of these variants yet and that is a great sale price!" you need to make them 50% off.

Not hero ones I guess(though I would instantly pull the trigger on them too for that) as there is no way to obtain them besides MC. But standard variants you can buy for free c-bills? it is WAY more cost effective(for me at least) to spend an equal amount of MC for one variant on premium time and grind enough c-bills to just go buy it, or more likely, all of them. 2000 MC, isnt that roughly a month of premium time?

I would actually like to buy the 8Q and 8T to complete my collection, but the discount is not enough for me to consider real money over c-bills for these standard variants. At 50% off, i would consider it(for some chassis, especially if I only need one or two to own the whole set) as the actual mech cost becomes pretty decent at that point.

Also, no paint or patterns for Awesome= LOLWUT? Uhhh.... hey Beavis....uuhhhh...what's an oversight?

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users