740 replies to this topic

#681 MechFrog1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSouth Korea

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

From personal experience, people make bad decisions for any number of petty and foolish reasons. When I was in the secret squirrel test group for the release of Aion in North America, the South Korean dev team refused to even look at the repeated requests by the testers to deal with the endless grind that wouldn't be acceptable for players on this side of the ocean. They not just refused, but were offended by the requests as it was seen as a compromise of their vision for the game.

Well we all witnessed what happened after release...

PGI is gambling on replacing the hardcore pro gamers with a legion of new players come release day, but as the research shows, free to play games depend on a small number of very active and devoted players spending a lot of money on the game. The game will not survive trying to peddle premium time to players who haven't yet heard of MWO's existence.

Edited by mint frog, 12 August 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#682 Infernus1986

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 249 posts
  • LocationRuss's Island

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:51 PM

#GOONPOWERGRAB

part 2

PGI does not care

eventually you will realize this

Edited by Infernus1986, 12 August 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#683 Chronojam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:57 PM

This was actually a Blazing Aces power grab, in conjunction with OMC Dropbears. We just have a lot more players than the others and somebody's got to steer this horse, so we didn't mind throwing our support in.

#684 warp103

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 342 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationdaytona Beach fl

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

All I can say it unless a boycott and I mean a major one. Start on day like on a patch day they will not get it. Boycott the game in all forms . As in playing and buying.

#685 Malkiv Mayhem

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 42 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCanada, Eh

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:23 PM

This is the best topic on the entire forum. Not because anything anyone complaining about is actually important, but it's funny that like 20 people think it's super-important. Please continue telling me how lore and IP is more important than metrics and statistics for a competitive online game.

#686 Time at the Position

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:37 PM

ITT
REFUNDER'S REMORSE

#687 Gwaihir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:15 PM

Why would I have any remorse over getting a refund on Pheonix? I'm confused.

#688 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

The realization that this is un savable must be dawning on alot of you by now. After the ATD answers and the time remaining before launch you goto ask yourselfs is this already dead?. Maybe its time to test if you are indeed a minority and how that minority can actually affect the game. You should know what im suggesting...
Anyway back to WT for me, got a 1.9 gig patch full of content, fixes, balancing to keep testing plus a $20 package i just bought cause i want to show support for such work.
Good luck.

#689 Chronojam

• 2,185 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

View PostMalkiv Mayhem, on 12 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

This is the best topic on the entire forum. Not because anything anyone complaining about is actually important, but it's funny that like 20 people think it's super-important. Please continue telling me how lore and IP is more important than metrics and statistics for a competitive online game.

So you support #saveMWO, then? It is tragic that you see the same handful of people defending tabletop values to the death -- if an LB-10X didn't do exactly ten damage, they'd freak out. And don't think about touching heat capacity! The game can't succeed if it's bound to flawed tabletop rules from decades past. They clearly need to toss that aside if they hope to de-throne the current prevailing metagame.

#690 Gwaihir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

The Russian plane sale in War Thunder owns, **** yea Russians. Also that sale they did on premium time making it 35$ for a full year? That owned pretty damn hard too.

#691 xZaOx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

With Paul's latest insanity of nerfing sniping or shooting or playing, shall we revise #savemwo to #RIPmwo?

I haven't patched in 3 patches, and now don't plan to for a long time, and i dont even sniper. But I dont want to play "chain fire 1 small laser, 1 ac 2, on srm 4, and one lrm 5 online".

This game depresses me.

#692 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationGoro Company Dropship MK1, Long live Lord Shang Tsung.

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 12 August 2013 - 07:49 PM, said:

The realization that this is un savable must be dawning on alot of you by now. After the ATD answers and the time remaining before launch you goto ask yourselfs is this already dead?. Maybe its time to test if you are indeed a minority and how that minority can actually affect the game. You should know what im suggesting...
Anyway back to WT for me, got a 1.9 gig patch full of content, fixes, balancing to keep testing plus a $20 package i just bought cause i want to show support for such work.
Good luck.

This statement is an implication and a vast assumption:

It seems like a minority because many of the participants' groups being represented are not engaging in discussion and have since moved on to other games, waiting for news from patch to patch. It's more fun to go play another game than it is to engage in what basically amounts to activism against a developer that has apparently produced and funded its own echo chamber (NGNG).

----

Uh but yeah, that realization dawned on me a while ago, but I kept holding out hope and trying to read the game's fortunes through announcements and patches and still feel they're going to #StayTheCourse and run the game aground.
Waiting is the worst part... but Payday 2 and FFXIV are coming, so..

Y'know...? I enjoyed my time. I sniped some robots in a ridiculously amazing Marmolade Hero after slogging through with Hunchies and FounderAtlas and if this game ever takes off a year from now after CW is fleshed out, then I'll come back I guess? More than likely, I'll continue playing Planetside2 since an actual metagame will be introduced in a few months that goes beyond 'which direction am I going to be shooting a dude from'.

Waiting is hard. Waiting is boring. idk.

Edited by Erata, 12 August 2013 - 08:50 PM.

#693 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 12 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

View PostMalkiv Mayhem, on 12 August 2013 - 06:23 PM, said:

Please continue telling me how lore and IP is more important than metrics and statistics for a competitive online game.

Who in this thread is saying that lore and IP is more important than weapon balance? In fact, we're saying the exact opposite. You have us mistaken with those other guys.

#694 KingCobra

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:02 PM

Its hard to explain to so many that never played the older MechWarrior games what it was like to play ingame server planetary leagues and MSN gamming zone leagues it was so competitive it was like being on a bowling team with 20-500 players per team and you had to make strikes all night to win the league tournaments and prizes it was a real nail bitter 90% of the time playing. MechWarrior was like buying a Harley it was a unique game MWO is not that game MWO is more like COD or WOT or StarConflict and MoonBreakers which = buying a Honda. Mostly because these games rely on kids to grind away for XP or some pointless endgame. MechWarrior was a bit more involved simulation like with strategy and tactics combined with many game modes to keep you entertained. And we have not even covered one of MechWarrior's best features the social atmosphere that rewarded players that joined teams with training companionship and the fun of actually playing multiple league's 24/7 world wide. I could go on and tell you much but PGI has not fixed even IE10 win8 and my enter key so it just a wall of text. Posted Image

#695 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:03 PM

View PostGaussDragon, on 12 August 2013 - 08:55 PM, said:

Who in this thread is saying that lore and IP is more important than weapon balance? In fact, we're saying the exact opposite. You have us mistaken with those other guys.

Yeah, the tl;dr version... as I understand it ... is that we were pretty happy with the game's direction up until heat scale because there were simpler solutions to improving depth and argue against "the feel" of weapons since it assumes that people will never crunch numbers and discover the underlying monoculture the metagame has in store.

#696 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostErata, on 12 August 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Y'know...? I enjoyed my time. I sniped some robots in a ridiculously amazing Marmolade Hero after slogging through with Hunchies and FounderAtlas and if this game ever takes off a year from now after CW is fleshed out, then I'll come back I guess? More than likely, I'll continue playing Planetside2 since an actual metagame will be introduced in a few months that goes beyond 'which direction am I going to be shooting a dude from'.

Waiting is hard. Waiting is boring. idk.

Do you really think CW is going to be more than,, Pick a faction, look for a game your faction is involved in, hit the launch, play with pugs vs other pugs and at the End it will tell you Faction A has this much influence on Planet X, really? are you expecting any more than that?.

#697 N0MAD

• 1,757 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:00 PM

Dunno i was under the impression that the players could not change the map and will only contest outer worlds for influence? am i wrong and if so can you link me to somewhere that states differently?.
TY

#698 Erata

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

View PostN0MAD, on 12 August 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

Do you really think CW is going to be more than,, Pick a faction, look for a game your faction is involved in, hit the launch, play with pugs vs other pugs and at the End it will tell you Faction A has this much influence on Planet X, really? are you expecting any more than that?.

No, I don't think it will be. My first perception of what it would be was a CHROMEHOUNDS style map, or I guess, a Global Agenda style map, with various objectives that were going to be balanced around reducing the effects of RnR and Dropship costs or something to that nature. Capture industries, labs, etc, get tech early or even access to LosTech and faction-specific mechs.

My perception changed pretty quickly to the idea of the glorified leaderboard, where everyone's filling up their faction's meter, and paying penalties for filling up other meters, but by using loyalty-boosting medals, would be able to eventually grind every single faction up to their maximum.
What would that get you? Probably in-cockpit cosmetics that have yet to be produced? I have no idea what loyalty points could buy.

edit: I know there's no real design docs for CW yet, which is why I said uhhh.. ... a year.. to see what manifests? heh!

Edited by Erata, 12 August 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#699 Wilburg

• Little Helper
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

View PostGwaihir, on 12 August 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

You know just about everyone here that bought phoenix got a refund, right?

Not yet, still waiting for it.

View PostRG Notch, on 12 August 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Those appear to be the only possible conclusions. IGP/PGI are throwing away money for pride or some such, or they have enough happy players who aren't raging on the forums to ignore the unrest. Don't forget, they already have loads of founder money and maybe they think they can get more new money. Why else go so hard for 3PV despite forum outcry? Someone is clearly believing there is more money in new players and it's safe and maybe smart to let the hard core folks go. They also know they can count on a certain portion of hard core BT/MW fans to stay no matter what. These people can also be safely ignored from that perspective.

One point here. Most people qho just play on 4 and once a week maybe a few 12 games do NOT see the problems behind. For them it works fine as they don´t see any 6PPC stalkers or 80LRM boats any more. Strange thing about it is, that when they drop with 12, they try to syncdrop with friendly units or own teams, because they are fed of the PPC/Gaussing. But that last step of taking conclusions is totally missing.

#700 Stalkerr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:44 AM

Hi everyone!

TOWN HALL #2 is TONIGHT at 9 PM EDT (sorry Euros!)

TOPICS:
  • #saveMWO Letter and Phoenix refund drive status
  • Ask the Devs, PGI stops listening, so now what?
  • MWLL
  • ...and more!
Tonight's Town Hall is being facilitated by the Andersbot himself via Mumble at mumble.houseliaoactual.com. Just like last time, folks interested in contributing (many of whom have already raised their hands via signing up for Mecha Lingua) will be pulled up into a speakers room. We'll be skipping the intros this time around and will just be diving in to the discussion.

For those that want to participate via text chat, join us at http://wordoflowtax....e.goonfleet.com! This chat has and will remain open for all #saveMWO-related discussion.

We'll be recording the whole thing once again and posting it up on Soundcloud (any other streams are unofficial, and may contain 3rd-party commentary). I promised Allen Wren I won't try to make him edit this one down, as he pretty much killed himself trying to clean up the original Town Hall recording. :ph34r:

Edited by Stalkerr, 13 August 2013 - 04:53 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users