Lrms Too Strong

117 replies to this topic

Poll: Nerf LRMs? (292 member(s) have cast votes)

Let's ask the devs to Nerf the LRMs.

1. Yes (26 votes [8.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.93%

2. Voted No (265 votes [91.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 91.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

LRMs, from a single mech, aren't as much of an issue.

LRMs, 40-60 from 5 different mechs (total, 250 per salvo or more) all aimed at one mech, quickly overload even a dual-AMS Atlas or Stalker because AMS can't remotely keep up.

On the other hand, LRMs in a team that goes up against an all-ECM lance suddenly find themselves worse than useless. No other weapon in the game save Streaks has an "on/off" switch that other mechs can equip with the correct chassis.

I think much of the complaint comes back to which map you're playing, too. Only two maps even have remotely useful cover in the common engagement zones, the rest have trouble the moment the flight path turns into the "vertical drop" path.

The other thing added to the mix is modules. Target decay is a must-have for most LRM boats, with Sensor Decay being a close second. Premades also tend to put Sensor Decay on their scouts, for the obvious reasons. Those two can really mess up the usefulness of "taking cover" with a semi-vertical hill, given the high flight path since you're really trying to break sensor lock and move away from the kill zone at that point.

#82 Daemir

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

LRMs are in a good place now, no need to touch them.

2ppc+gauss from 5 different mechs to a single target will blow it up before the last 2 firing even connect, I don't see why concentrated LRM fire shouldn't be effective as well. I mean, what weapon in the game has more counters than the LRM? None.

Edited by Erish II, 29 July 2013 - 11:24 AM.

#83 Priest4357

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 130 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Only problem I have is that LRMs tend to go for the CT the most. Put the same system in for them that streaks use, and I'm good with it. I have 1 LRM boat, and that's about it.

I use cover, ECM, and then hope it's enough. Nothing can save a LRM boat from 1-2 light mechs that get behind them, and rip them up for not having enough short ranged weapons.

#84 Master Q

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

View PostErish II, on 29 July 2013 - 11:18 AM, said:

LRMs are in a good place now, no need to touch them.

I'm not in complete agreement. I think the damage is right. I think the admitted issues with their impact zones would be fixed, just like the "lack of working cover" aspect of many maps, would be fixed by flattening the flight path somewhat (remembering, of course, the days when it was even MORE vertical than it is now and when light mechs moving at top speed were basically immune because they could outrun the drop speed).

That being said, I'd like to see AMS a tad more efficient and I think that some of the other things in the game (eyes in the sky, sensor decay/range modules, etc) that make holding lock despite cover too easy could possibly take a bit of a look.

#85 Yelland

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

LRM groups are scary - one LRM boat is support and not scary. This is a coordinated tool, just as it would be in real life. It takes coordination to make LRMs effective and it takes coordination to counter it effectively.

In hundreds of games played there have only been a handful where multiple LRM boats rocked us, or vice versa. I usually know ahead of time when I made a mistake and have been spotted or at the wrong place, cockpit crashing, smoke fire, I am blindly grabbing for the eject... oops.

I admit it is kind of fun when it goes 8-0 or 8-2 from LRM slaughter, it is also frustrating when it's 0-8 due to LRM. :) But the challenge isn't in the system or tools, and I don't feel the need to swarm the forums over it.

Once you recognize LRMs are flying, use cover, don't cross open spaces. Why is it always "nerf tools!" instead of "buff tactics!" hmm, maybe because tactics are in the hand of the player...

#86 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Violin "music" = Thread saying LRMs are overpowered.

Everyone who isn't holding the Violin = Me, El Bandito, and the other reasonable people.

#87 Felio

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

I think in moderation, LRMs are fine. But when a team is really heavy with them, they are unbeatable in PUG games.

You'd need to be organized with ECM bubbles, and they would need to not be organized with BAP or enemy ECMs. Those are two big "ifs."

#88 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

View PostFelio, on 29 July 2013 - 12:13 PM, said:

I think in moderation, LRMs are fine. But when a team is really heavy with them, they are unbeatable in PUG games.

You'd need to be organized with ECM bubbles, and they would need to not be organized with BAP or enemy ECMs. Those are two big "ifs."

While this is true of all matches it is more pronounced in this instance.

#89 Jacmac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

If LRMs are so all-powerful, then why don't you build your own LRM boat and join in the fun?

#90 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Too much honor!

:)?

#91 SprinkleFree

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

View PostShadowdusk, on 27 July 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

No. Even if you take cover the LRMs still hit. They are buggy and overpowered. They need to be toned down. Only people who say the LRM and SRM are fine are those who do nothing but spam them. Cause they are getting easy kills and easy wins.

I hate using LRMs, they're just not my style, and I don't have them mounted on a single mech that I own.

Now, that being said:

Get over yourself, the LRMs are fine. If you can't avoid them, learn to play.

#92 Shufflemuffin5

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

Only problem i have with LRMs is that they are boated in excess sometimes (as with any weapon). And seriously is not really a "problem" as more of an annoyance on some matches where you anytime you leave the premises of a building/bridge/etc for a couple seconds you are meet with LRM 9000 (im kidding obviously) but still annoying to here "Warning: Incoming Missles". However its funny when you range a boat and he is trying to kill me with 2 small lasers, or 3 medium lasers where i have my full arsenal of weapons lol.

#93 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

So many terrible players.

#94 Lord of All

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 581 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBottom Of a Bottle

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostSephlock, on 29 July 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

So many terrible players. So little time!

Fixed.

#95 Trynn

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:02 PM

Serioiusly,

While I can appreciate the irritation that a lance of LRMS can rain down on a person, They are NOT overpowered, They are NOT broken, YES I have a stalker with LRMS (and medium lasers), but I play that mech about 15-25% of the time, I run mechs from lights to assaults in various forms so your statement that only those people that think LRMS are fine are ones that like using them for cheap kills, holds no water imo. Some maps are tailored for them (but can be adjusted for in tactics, others LRMS are almost worthless as most of the fighting is occuring amongst buildings or within brawling range.

You are ignoring the many disavantages that LRMS have, because you are in a snit because they blew you up a few times. and by your poll, (not that it is significant your dreams are not matched by many people)

You have let your hatred for them cloud your judgement and you are reacting in matches from that anger not from a clear mind. Additionally, you almost sound like those that want LRMS out just because they do not fit into your paradigm on how "things should work".

I can find cover and break los with most mechs in most situations (baring being caught in the open) in which case i get what i deserve.

and let me guess you hate capping as well

I would add, I would have no objections to the return of R&R, as it would limit the number of boats as they where brutally expresive to run with artemis back in the day.

Edited by Trynn, 29 July 2013 - 02:08 PM.

#96 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:09 PM

22 Yes votes to 207 No votes...

Well, I guess that just about sums it up...case closed! B)

#97 Eleshod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 187 posts
  • LocationVegas baby!

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:43 PM

Your poll got it's *** kicked OP

#98 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

WHY CAN'T I COMMUNICATE WITH LRM HATERS?!

#99 Ransack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostTrynn, on 29 July 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

Serioiusly,

While I can appreciate the irritation that a lance of LRMS can rain down on a person, They are NOT overpowered, They are NOT broken, YES I have a stalker with LRMS (and medium lasers), but I play that mech about 15-25% of the time, I run mechs from lights to assaults in various forms so your statement that only those people that think LRMS are fine are ones that like using them for cheap kills, holds no water imo. Some maps are tailored for them (but can be adjusted for in tactics, others LRMS are almost worthless as most of the fighting is occuring amongst buildings or within brawling range.

You are ignoring the many disavantages that LRMS have, because you are in a snit because they blew you up a few times. and by your poll, (not that it is significant your dreams are not matched by many people)

You have let your hatred for them cloud your judgement and you are reacting in matches from that anger not from a clear mind. Additionally, you almost sound like those that want LRMS out just because they do not fit into your paradigm on how "things should work".

I can find cover and break los with most mechs in most situations (baring being caught in the open) in which case i get what i deserve.

and let me guess you hate capping as well

I would add, I would have no objections to the return of R&R, as it would limit the number of boats as they where brutally expresive to run with artemis back in the day.

Yes they are broken. I remembered to hit F12 the other night.

Posted Image

They have missed their target, and should die where the miss happened, not go hit other random things.

#100 subgenius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

No OP since page 2? I think we've found the most effective troll ever B) So many bites.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users