View Rubberbanding When Using "f" For Sharp Turns

9 replies to this topic

#1 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

I've been playing around with the trial Commando, and have noticed an easily replicatable bug.

To make sharp turns (Ducking behind buildings to avoid missiles for example) I've been using "F" to make my legs follow my view. However, when I do that, quite a bit of the time my view will start jumping around (I'll wind up looking at the back of my cockpit, and then my legs will turn to follow, and my view will jump again, repeatable pretty much at will.

This really should be addressed, since I can see how "F" is going to be fairly popular with players who have trouble getting stuck in game geometry, since it's a quick way to line your legs up to your view to go that way.

#2 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

(actually this happens in all mechs...even Atlases...something's broken in the engine when trying to make sharp turns with F...)

#3 HptmAkira

• PipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

I too am experiencing this, as well as rubberbanding while running straight, a little "spurt" or warp every second or two. Ping stays at around 50ms without any spikes. I also do not see this in the Training grounds, only multiplayer matches.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Using ... F...to decrease turn radius...

1Posted Image

#5 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

View PostTechnoviking, on 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM, said:

Using ... F...to decrease turn radius...

1Posted Image

where exactly did I say it actually reduced the turn radius? The primary reason I use it is that it lines up my legs with my view, so I can look where I want the mech to move, wait for the legs to stop moving, then look around to shoot at things. (also use it when I'm trying to turn to shoot pesky lights trying to run behind my atlas...but the rubberbanding means I turn to random facings instead of constant left or right turning.)

The POINT is, your POV shouldn't jump at ALL. It's a delayed mouselook, limited by rotation speed of the turret and legs, and it shouldn't suddenly reverse directions for no reason. Are you saying it should?

#6 Lucas the Bounty Hunter

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNorthwestern Ontario, Canada

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostRedwood Elf, on 18 July 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

where exactly did I say it actually reduced the turn radius? The primary reason I use it is that it lines up my legs with my view, so I can look where I want the mech to move, wait for the legs to stop moving, then look around to shoot at things. (also use it when I'm trying to turn to shoot pesky lights trying to run behind my atlas...but the rubberbanding means I turn to random facings instead of constant left or right turning.)

The POINT is, your POV shouldn't jump at ALL. It's a delayed mouselook, limited by rotation speed of the turret and legs, and it shouldn't suddenly reverse directions for no reason. Are you saying it should?

Maybe the pic was to express technoviking's awe at your skill and prowess in using the "align legs to turret" button for making turns. Great idea by the way. I don't generally use it myself, but if it works for you, good use of the function. Oh yeah, the glitches. . . Well, I hope they smooth that out soon.
Cheers

#7 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Well here's a video that demonstrates what I mean more clearly (Yeah, I know, I goofed at the end and got focus fired...shoulda reversed throttle the instant that enemy mech came into view...)

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,740 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Hai, the bug where your POV rotates completely around the cockpit. Most saw it for the first time on the test server during the 12vs12 matches.

#9 Redwood Elf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 27 July 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Hai, the bug where your POV rotates completely around the cockpit. Most saw it for the first time on the test server during the 12vs12 matches.

Well as you can see, it's not limited to the test server, and is easily repeatable/replicable pretty much at will, and clearly not intended behavior...

#10 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

View PostLucas the Bounty Hunter, on 20 July 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

Maybe the pic was to express technoviking's awe at your skill and prowess in using the "align legs to turret" button for making turns. Great idea by the way. I don't generally use it myself, but if it works for you, good use of the function. Oh yeah, the glitches. . . Well, I hope they smooth that out soon.
Cheers

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking that maybe you could get more performance out of your mech by making turns that way, but still great idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users