Spiders And Hit Registration

22 replies to this topic

#21 DodgerH2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostFelio, on 29 July 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

Play a spider, then tell me their hit detection is broken.

Maybe it is in some instances, I admit I wouldn't know for sure without shooting myself, but it will at least show you it isn't nearly as bad as you think it is.

My spiders get hit just as frequently and as hard as my other lights. Actually, my jenners live longer, owing to their slightly heavier armor.

I play a Spider. Two of them actually (sold the K before they buffed MGs, wishing I hadn't now). They have some very strange, very real hit detection/damage issues. It seems to me to happen most often while they are using JJs. Most good Spider pilots are constantly using JJs (even in tiny amounts for cornering/directional changes). These issues happen entirely separate from latency issues or issues of convergence or speed.

#22 Skyfaller

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Here's a little anecdote that can illustrate some of the misperception of the 'hitboxes' vs convergence.

Six PPC stalker spotted my Spider5D perched (static) on the very top of a ridge in tourmaline.

I was jumpjetting up and down to peek downwards to check if any enemy mech would be walking below me and 'spot' me as it crossed into my ECM field.

The moment I touched down I see:

4 PPC bolts whiz past BOTH sides of my cockpit and hit another ridgetop that was 500m in front of me (taller than the one I was perched at).
My rear CT armor blink out of existence. I had 20 rear CT armor.

Panic mode max-speed & turn and got the heck out of there.

The Stalker driver starts wenching in chat about spider buggy hitboxes.

I TOLD the guy he MISSED with 4 of his PPCs and hit with 2. They left scorch marks on my cheeks. He said he saw them all hit /cry /whine /etc.

*shrug* .

From the angle he fired it it was obvious he fired aiming at where I'd be when I landed.. but he did not aim at the ridge I was sitting on, he aimed slightly higher and ended up aiming at something 500m further away. When I landed the PPCs he had mounted in his RT and LT hit my rear armor dead on. Blinking my 20 rear CT.

His 4 PPCs in the arms, being positioned above and wider to the sides than the LT/RT ones, were the ones I saw whoosh past my cockpit.

The convergence affects things like this when trying to hit a small mech. Plus, if ONE PPC hits, it will animate a spark-full impact animation and it looks the same if 1 PPC hits or if six PPCs hit.. and it obscures anything behind it (like the other ppcs that missed hitting something far behind).

#23 Thumper3

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 281 posts
  • LocationTemplar Headquarters

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:32 PM

I wouldn't even waste my time responding to a whiner in a 6PPC Stalker. Wah my walking 1 hit kill bloated land whale of a mech didn't instacore you? Wah.

Whatever.....

You know what the extra "S" in the SSRM2 is for? Spiderkiller. B)

Yeah, I pilot a spider on occasion, they can be fun running around at ludicrous speed. And they get hit, usually the slower and straighter the line I run the more I get hit.....pretty obvious.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users