36 replies to this topic

#21 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

For the most part I can't complain, still needs to fix the PPC+Gauss, which I think we can all agree the first thing PGI absolutely, undeniably NEEDS to do is put PPCs back the 10/15 heat. From there is any ones guess.

Edited by Coralld, 30 July 2013 - 07:10 PM.

#22 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

View PostSteelWarrior, on 30 July 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

All in all, few nitpicks aside, im satisfied. Brawling is possible and more enjoyable now. Sniping is still fun and effective. LRM support is certainly viable, especially with UAV.

Thumbs up PGI

I don't see it. The problems with high pinpoint alpha sniping are still rampant, brawling is still only viable on certain maps (River City, Frozen City and now Mordor Apline Zork.) and LRM's ... well ok. LRM's are pretty close to balanced now.

I don't see those issues as nitpicks, I see them as underlying issues that, instead of being directly addressed, are being swathed in layers of bandaid fixes to the point where they are distorting the core game. Maybe they will eventually get it right like LRMs, but who wants to go through the LRM hell again with every other weapon system?

#23 Nemesiz416

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, Terra

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostCoralld, on 30 July 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

For the most part I can't complain, still needs to fix the PPC+Gauss, which I think we can all agree the first thing PGI absolutely, undeniably NEEDS to do is put PPCs back the 10/15 heat. From there is any ones guess.

So what you're saying is that weapon combinations that you don't approve of need to be "Fixed"?

#24 KayTannee

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:58 PM

Couldn't agree more, everything is playing well at the moment. I think in almost every match, I'm seeing almost every weapon. Along with lots of mechs with a mixed load out. Also with a new large map on the circuit, we're seeing alot of Mediums and heavies too.

I dont post on this forum much, but I do read a fair bit. But I have to say, I've never seen a more whiney vocal community. The annoying thing is, the moaning, are either contradictory across the community, or are completely unrealistic. Ignore the vocal minority and crack on steadily making the game better.

#25 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Its working but its just so so ugly. Its like a machine that made of spare parts and somehow gets by at the end of the day.

#26 Conreg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 111 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I have not felt urged to post on the forums until this patch.

Unregistered hits are abundant, and missiles are way off. I have long been one of the players who feel annoyed by the rampant complaints and negativity so do not get me wrong... I love this game and plan to play it for a long time.

BUT.

This patch messed something up, and it was obvious to me right away. It has nothing to do with heat, or weapon loadouts... it is the simple fact that hits are not registering properly. Most noticable to me in my NON-BOATING C1, with 2 LRM 15's.

I have been playing since closed Beta. Trust me. This is not the best it has been.

If people are looking to be able to walk into a fire-fight and live a long time... I can see why you like this patch (that and Terra Therma is very well done)

Again.. I love the game, I am an overall, very happy player. But this is not the time to praise PGI for nailing it. I look forward to joining you in applause when the day comes. This just wasn't it.

#27 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostRetroActive, on 30 July 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

What?!? A positive thread on the MWO forums?!? No one has replied before this because they don't know how to react to positivity. I mostly agree with your post! Some changes are still needed, though.

#28 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

Good to see the positive juices flowing in this thread.

In regards to the two people complaining about PPC+Guass and the other guy saying theirs issues with the hit detection....

PPC+ Guass is legit. In its current state its only effective to rock 2 PPCs and 1 Guass. Thats perfectly acceptable. Its a high damage alpha with solid range, but it requires a solid connection, low ping, and the timing to hit targets beyond 300m away accurately. When you get smoked from 500m out in a Jenner F doing 152kph.....Thats not a build being overpowered, thats a player whos got the timing down.

In regards to LRMs and hit detection. I would say you didnt play closed beta nearly enough then because the hit detection was horrid. was a major reason why you didnt see a single PPC being used by anyone during that era of MWO. Hit detection as is, is not perfect. But its leaps and bounds better then it was, and compared to other similar format games such as world of tanks, they had the same problem for a long time, so its not beyond "acceptable industry standards" at all.

The point is, 3 patches this month, none of them would be considered a huge deal on their own, but collectively we have seen a huge improvment across the board.

Looking forward to the future

#29 ManDaisy

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

View PostConreg, on 31 July 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

I have not felt urged to post on the forums until this patch.

Unregistered hits are abundant, and missiles are way off. I have long been one of the players who feel annoyed by the rampant complaints and negativity so do not get me wrong... I love this game and plan to play it for a long time.

BUT.

This patch messed something up, and it was obvious to me right away. It has nothing to do with heat, or weapon loadouts... it is the simple fact that hits are not registering properly. Most noticable to me in my NON-BOATING C1, with 2 LRM 15's.

I have been playing since closed Beta. Trust me. This is not the best it has been.

If people are looking to be able to walk into a fire-fight and live a long time... I can see why you like this patch (that and Terra Therma is very well done)

Again.. I love the game, I am an overall, very happy player. But this is not the time to praise PGI for nailing it. I look forward to joining you in applause when the day comes. This just wasn't it.

This guy, he gets it right. It used to be ok if half your shots didn't count on a big alpha. Now its just not worth it. I imagine if they fix the hit regs, boats will be back. Either way I can't shake the feeling that this system will eventually be scrapped to make way for an actual solution such as convergence.

Edited by ManDaisy, 31 July 2013 - 05:28 PM.

#30 Morikuro

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

The 2 PPC/1 Gauss combo is fine. That's only 35 damage, and the travel speeds of the projectiles are different, as are the weapon recharge rates. We're not hiding in dismay from some Misery's massive alpha anymore. If you really hate that combo play something fast and jink a lot, many snipers miss when someone doesn't oblige them and travel in a predictable line.

#31 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

Huge pinpoint alpha strikes haven't gone anywhere.

You say 35 damage like it's nothing, So I suppose the cutoff point must be 36, that's the amount it takes to one shot a fully armored cockpit.

The 4 PPC builds and dual 20 builds were doing 40, so that 5 point stretch must be where the problem is.

Except that I still regularly see alpha builds that do more than 36 points of damage. More than 40. More than 50.

All I've seen is a switch in preference from older mechs with multiple similar hardpoints to newer mechs with multiple divergent hardpoints.

#32 Jack The Ripper

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:40 PM

I will say that my experience hasn't improved, I personally wasn't effected by this patch in a negative way. I'm just one for fairness and if they can keep this feeling the way it does and improve things for those who feel wronged, then more power to them.

#33 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:48 PM

Punishing players who prefer to build high single strike output mechs was not the right direction. You might not have been personally affected but many people were. There were a lot of ways they could have balanced out the issue (like a cap on damage to a single section on a mech with one incoming alpha, and the rest is resolved as splash damage, or even buffs to chain fire) without "nerfing" a particular play style like defilade sniping or close alpha brawling.

#34 tulip

• PipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 68 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 03:56 AM

View PostXandre Blackheart, on 02 August 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

Huge pinpoint alpha strikes haven't gone anywhere.

You say 35 damage like it's nothing, So I suppose the cutoff point must be 36, that's the amount it takes to one shot a fully armored cockpit.

If you're going to be sarcastic at least be right, cockpits are an exception to the usual *max HP= max armour/2* rule.

They have 18 max armour and 15 internal HP so that makes it 33 damage to kill via cockpit, but at least your propagation of incorrect "facts" sets a reasonable standard for the rest of your post.

#35 Nebelfeuer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Generally the game changed for the better a lot over the last patches but I think the current LRM spread is to high while firing at targets in LOS and ACs are to strong currently.

#36 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 05:13 AM

Things are pretty great after the last patch. I'm curious to see what happens to the 2ppc 1 gauss combo when the +1 heat arrives next week.
I love how people run varied builds now.
Great job pgi! Now gimme 12v12! Terra therma is way too big for 8v8.

Edited by Snowcrow, 03 August 2013 - 05:16 AM.

#37 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Posttulip, on 03 August 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

If you're going to be sarcastic at least be right, cockpits are an exception to the usual *max HP= max armour/2* rule.

They have 18 max armour and 15 internal HP so that makes it 33 damage to kill via cockpit, but at least your propagation of incorrect "facts" sets a reasonable standard for the rest of your post.

I wasn't being sarcastic, and I assumed head internal HP was 1-1 for armor. If I'd calculated it according to max armor/2 it would have been 27. Not 36.

Which still doesn't change anything I said, as the cutoff point is in the neighborhood of a single headshot, and likely to continue to decrease.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users