#21 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:37 AM

Sound's good to me, Kana!

Set them up as examples and ideas, so people can get a baseline to go off of. :wacko:

#22 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBritish Columbia, Canada

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

View PostAaronWolf, on 01 August 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Sound's good to me, Kana!

Set them up as examples and ideas, so people can get a baseline to go off of. :wacko:

Sweet! I shall make it and post it over the weekend

#23 Sug

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

It's almost like they should hire someone to write a tutorial, update stickies, make some training vids, etc....

#24 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostSug, on 01 August 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

It's almost like they should hire someone to write a tutorial, update stickies, make some training vids, etc....

I volunteer :wacko:

#25 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:56 AM

If we~the players~help them with it, guess what! They get it done faster and they can focus more on the things ~WE~ as the players can't do: Create new ingame content. Fix issues/bug's. Make new features. Etc.etc.

With UI2.0 though there will be a ingame tutorial from what has been explained before as well.

#26 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:59 AM

Yeah but they haven't. And when I answered the Mech Efficiencies question for the 4th time in as many days... yeah well

View PostKanajashi, on 01 August 2013 - 08:42 AM, said:

Sweet! I shall make it and post it over the weekend

It does sound good! My question is this... has the subject been covered already? Hint: I'm certain it has but where is it? Look for the existing answers first :wacko:

My reason for starting this thread was not to reinvent the wheel. We have wheels! Some of them have sharp pointy bits on them that need smoothing :blink:

#27 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

View PostscJazz, on 01 August 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

It does sound good! My question is this... has the subject been covered already? Hint: I'm certain it has but where is it? Look for the existing answers first :wacko:

My reason for starting this thread was not to reinvent the wheel. We have wheels! Some of them have sharp pointy bits on them that need smoothing :blink:

I have found some material on the forums and other sites, but I haven't found that any of it is really comprehensive or detailed with example mechs and situations. I plan to pull all that information together and give it some nice polish :lol:

#28 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

OK see this is kind of what I'm talking about... Kaemon plz don't flame me! Not that you will it has been 22 days since you last logged in and 34 days since last update. Roughly half of the links are dead, useless, or otherwise not good out of the first 20 or so.

This is the top pinned thread in New Players with over 200k views!?!?

Niko help me out!?! Should it be unpinned? MOD-Edit? PM Kaemon (currently my choice in Action notes)?

Again... I'm new... I didn't pay for Founder so I don't have that adorable Icon. To what degree should that influence things? I'm not looking for glory here. I'm just frickin sick of answering the bloody Mech Efficiencies question every day :wacko:

Also I want to slow down Redshift's daily post average and lower bandwidth usage for Koniving :blink: :ph34r:

To the degree that I just spent even an hour looking at a single pinned new player thread and found... lots of bad stuff. Whelp!

CLEANUP TIME!

EDIT: As I posted I saw Darwins Dog is viewing this thread. He is the one whose post on Mech Efficiencies I keep linking :lol:

Edited by scJazz, 01 August 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#29 Lugh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 31 July 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

Stickies are certainly out of date and the game suffers, and has always suffered, from lack of tutorials and strong self-help infromation sources

MOST people don't RTFM.....as such it doesn't matter if there is a manual to read or not.

The newer games are shipping with a manual that is in 11million languages that essentially says, HEY IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM GOT TO www.mwomercs.com

#30 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:44 AM

View PostLugh, on 01 August 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

MOST people don't RTFM.....as such it doesn't matter if there is a manual to read or not.

The newer games are shipping with a manual that is in 11million languages that essentially says, HEY IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM GOT TO www.mwomercs.com

Again not useful... but points to the purpose of this thread. Which is to update and clean things up. That most people do not RTFM is a given. When such people post in this sub-forum we the kind, gentle, caring people who enjoy shooting people in the face with Giant Stompy Robots should be able to write a 2 line post that reads something along the lines of...

Dear Newb... Read this stuff here!
See you on the battlefield!

So while I thank you for stopping by and pointing out the obvious... unless you are going to chip in and help... well...

The door is that way ----->

#31 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 09:56 AM

Now if you guy's have any stuff you want me or more buddies at work to look at (Were all Newb's), and give our viewpoint of. Give me a shout and I will direct them to the stuff and I will look it over!

Will try to help in anyway I can! :wacko:

#32 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Perhaps we should just create a master document on google drive and start trying to hack something really awesome together?

Then we could break that apart for individual stickies on the forums, or just refer people to the google drive for one stop shopping?

#33 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostPadic, on 01 August 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

Perhaps we should just create a master document on google drive and start trying to hack something really awesome together?

Then we could break that apart for individual stickies on the forums, or just refer people to the google drive for one stop shopping?

Certainly an idea I have considered! My main fear of course is TankBoyKen and Barbie plus 1500 pals stopping by to screw things up :wacko: Yeah... sorry Goons but pulling such a stunt is exactly what you all are known for doing :blink:

Honestly, I am just hours into checking this thread and analyzing even the first Pinned Topic in this Sub-Forum. I suck! I had no idea how deep this rabbit hole was going to be. Do you want to start a Google Drive? We probably need one and honestly I had no idea just how fubar the situation is. I just had a very acute sense that things were not quite right.

One thing I am completely certain of is that the Pinned threads here in New Player... need to be unpinned (or have MOD-EDIT).

#34 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

I'm loathe to even say it but... 3 hours down the Rabbit Hole...

This thread which is pinned with 200k views needs to be un-pinned.
http://mwomercs.com/...-pretty-please/
50% defect list continues now 30+ links in... no longer is it a question of should we delete bad data. Now it is a matter of what data is good. At this point... the thread needs un-pin and data mining vs updates. That the OP (Kaemon) hasn't even logged in for the last 22 days and not updated in 34 days is key. It could be further argued that since some of the defects are literally 3 months old... yeah. Sorry. Buh-bye o/

Still taking in data from PMs and evaluating... will continue to update this POST for defect list.

Re-posting this so that it appears in thread updates.

#35 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:27 AM

I went ahead and created a sort of "guide framework' out on google drive

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

I also typed up a brief objective and some proposed sections. Hopefully, we can just comb through existing forum posts to and crowdsource the remaining holes. Take a look, tell me what you like - and feel free to head on out there to make relevant edits! You should all have powers.

Guide Objective: This guide should be targeted at MW:O players, ranging from “brand new” to “nearly-intermediate”. Hopefully, a lot of content can be drawn from existing forum posts. Each section should be written to be highly independent from the others, so that it can be easily broken into forum posts.

EDIT: Lists. They're always a mess. Why do I ever try working with lists?

Proposed sections

• Basic controls and control options

• Here we should discuss how to steer a mech, assign weapon groups, targeting with weapons (and fundaments of min/max ranges), and point out the arm lock and throttle options.

• If a first timer is only going to read one section, this should be it.

• Basic strategies

• Win conditions, currencies, scouting and moving as a team, etc

• Overview of mechs and roles

• Light mechs are for X, assault mechs are for Y, etc. Keep it high level.

• Try to keep the politics/balance talk out of it

• Weapon systems and equipment

• Mech customization

• Tonnage, critical space, hardpoints, heat, XL vs Std, etc

• Math

• Heat formulas, Elo ranking, min/max range damage curves…

• “Advanced controls”

• Missile doors, vision modes, ECM modes, etc. Basically, what all the other buttons on the keyboard do.

• Advanced Strategies and tactics”?

• Does anyone have any good “higher level” tactics they want to describe? Tapping a base with a light to sow chaos? Light/medium mech wolfpack? Narc/tag scout + LRM boat? They need not be optimal in the RHoD sense, but they should at least get new guys thinking about how to use some of this stuff.

• FAQs

• Which mech should I buy first?

• How do I get a kill?

• Mech efficiencies

• others

• Thank you to the contributers!

Edited by Padic, 01 August 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#36 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostPadic, on 01 August 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

I went ahead and created a sort of "guide framework' out on google drive

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Thank you Padic!

BTW Padic is the other person whose words plus mine turned into Darwins Dog Mech Efficiencies Post. The post that I linked something like 1 time a day which lead to this thread ;)

For anyone still confused about that please read this ;)

http://mwomercs.com/...cies-explained/

#37 Kanajashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

I love the layout Padic!

I think what we need now is for people to take on their pet topics, mine out any useful information that the forums have, and then rewrite it to a higher quality standard that would be good for newer players. I'll start out by claiming the "Overview of mechs and roles" section.

#38 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

When you have "Weapon systmes and equipment" are we talking about detailed information on stats and what not or more of a generalized list of what they are?

#39 Padic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 01 August 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostRF Greywolf, on 01 August 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

When you have "Weapon systmes and equipment" are we talking about detailed information on stats and what not or more of a generalized list of what they are?

Because stats are likely to change, and I don't want to bite off a massive and constant updating effort, I think it's best to stick to "qualitative" descriptions. The exception to this rule, of course, I think should be minimum and maximum ranges.

Something like, "LRMs are capable of direct and indirect fire. They can lock onto and track enemies. THEY HAVE A MINIMUM RANGE OF 180m"

#40 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostPadic, on 01 August 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

Because stats are likely to change, and I don't want to bite off a massive and constant updating effort, I think it's best to stick to "qualitative" descriptions. The exception to this rule, of course, I think should be minimum and maximum ranges.

Something like, "LRMs are capable of direct and indirect fire. They can lock onto and track enemies. THEY HAVE A MINIMUM RANGE OF 180m"

Ok, I'll volunteer to take that category then. It will be broken down by type (Energy/Missle/Ballistic) and give general information on that class of weapon.

To continue the LRM example: LRMs are capable of direct and indirect fire. They can lock onto and track enemies and can be fired at targets outside of your line of sight as long as an ally has lock on them. They come in four sizes which represent how many missle are fired in one salvo. THEY HAVE A MINIMUM RANGE OF 180m and a MAXIMUM range of 1200m. LRM's come in 5, 10, 15 and 20 packs.

Edited by RF Greywolf, 01 August 2013 - 12:03 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users