Mwoclient Cannot Scale Cpu?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Neverther

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:05 AM

I played for some time and used OBS for recording.

The thing is that I always get better FPS when recording.

Today I installed OpenHardwareMonitor and ran the web server to monitor the system on my TV while playing.

While playing and NOT recording, the CPU stays at 1648Mhz.
When I start the recording the CPU bumps up to 4224Mhz and stays there, stop recording and it falls back into 1.6Ghz (and FPS count falls).

I tried the same trick with SuperPI, started running 32M digits and launched into game.
CPU climbed into the 4224Mhz and I had prettymuch the same FPS as when recording.
32M took 9mins and 7s to compute while playing.

System:
Intel i5-3570K overclocked as watercooling keeps things under 43C under any condition (using rad from old Panasonic AC unit to keep things quiet, also a minifridge).
Stock GTX580
Power settings in windows: Balanced

Setting power from balance to Performance also resolves the "issue" but cores idle over half of their time at 4.2Ghz.

#2 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

I'm not seeing that on my AMD fx8320. Granted cool&quiet is off so it never really declocks.

#3 ogy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 119 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

This is going to sound stupid by my system gets better fps if I run a browser in the background whilst running the game ... any thoughts. I have the new multi i5 mx14 from Alienware..?

#4 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

View Postogy, on 15 August 2013 - 06:06 AM, said:

This is going to sound stupid by my system gets better fps if I run a browser in the background whilst running the game ... any thoughts. I have the new multi i5 mx14 from Alienware..?

That is interesting. Are you playing in windowed mode?

#5 lizardmech

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

I usually just turn off those power management features in the bios, they're rarely worth the trouble on overclocked desktops with high end cooling.

#6 Grimmnyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:24 AM

You may be on to something. Since 12 man was introduced, my framerates have become very unstable. I will try disabling speed stepping on my I-5 and see if that fixes the problem.

#7 F lan Ker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArctic Circle

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

S!

Good find. Need to test this as well on my FX-8350..

#8 ICUBurn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:57 PM

ive disiabhle the cool and quiet and any other power saving options. my processor (8350) is always at the max Mhz but its usage just differes. i have not had realy any framerate dips at all.

#9 Shamous13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationKitchener, Ont.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:35 AM

This defiantly made a difference with my system, when i changed the power settings my FPS stabilized at 55-60fps on high settings

#10 zinetwin

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

The reason that your cpu is hopping up in frequency is because it sees more work on a couple of cores so it's turbocore-ing it's way up on a core or two. Just turn off the power management crap and everything will run better. Turbocore, cooln'quiet, speedstep, etc... MWO will use 4 cores relatively effectively (once they optimize it) and four cores at 3ghz is always better than 2 cores at 4ghz if the application can use it.

#11 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:32 AM

goto the control panel>power options, and select High Performance... it will turn off the lower clocks and keep everything at peak performance, when you're done gaming or whatever set it back to balanced and it will return to turning off cores to save power.

#12 Kaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

This is a very interesting find!
I wouldn't doubt that this is the reason why some high end systems are struggling to play MWO after the last patch or 2.

I wonder if the devs are aware of this?

#13 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

View PostKaptain, on 17 August 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

This is a very interesting find!
I wouldn't doubt that this is the reason why some high end systems are struggling to play MWO after the last patch or 2.

I wonder if the devs are aware of this?

i'm not sure what the devs could do about it.. its the 3rd party stuff thats doing it.. the power saving options in windows is whats holding most systems back and most people don't know about it.. it may not be the solution all the time but its the little things that help boost your performance.

#14 aKlutz

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationThe Northland

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:21 PM

DIsable core parking as well ... :( I had cores parking with others over %50 usage. Seems pretty aggressive and I think causes a performance hit. Want to see if it is active or not? Fire up the Windows Resource Monitor and go to the CPU tab. Parked cores will be clearly shown as 'Parked' in the caption of their graph.

Edited by aKlutz, 20 August 2013 - 09:37 PM.

#15 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 15 August 2013 - 05:54 AM, said:

I'm not seeing that on my AMD fx8320. Granted cool&quiet is off so it never really declocks.

I have a FX8350 and CnQ enabled and the balanced energy setting in Windows - i have no such problem that the CPU stays at idle speed when i play MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users