An Engine For All Seasons...

14 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

In all the time I'm spending stooging around on Smurfy's, I've developed a sweetspot for the 300 and 330 XL engines. They just seem to be so usable in so many builds.

Can anyone recommend similarly versatile standard engines. I'm aware of the comparative vulnerability of Xl's, but I just can't bring myself to give up the extra speed firepower and armor they can offer with the right mech and the right build...

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

The XL360 is quite usable in lots of builds as well.

For standards, probably the lighter engines, 240-250, maybe a 275 and 300. Depends on the mech and the build. Heck, I hear a few people sticking 210 standard in builds (ugh, no thanks, I like to be able to get to a fight before time expires)

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:38 AM

The 260 also works great as the maximum engine for Hunchbacks and works well on many support-oriented Jagermechs and Catapults as well (although a full 300xl is probably best for Catapults for more maneuverability if using a direct attack build)

#4 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Realistically, you'll end up with a number of 300XLs and a bunch of various one-offs you get from purchasing 'Mechs with XL engines in them or that one time you saved up a bunch of money for a specific engine weight for a specific 'Mech. Example: I've got a 210, 250, 280, 3x300, 320, 2x330, and a 350 in XL weights, mostly from buying XL-equipped 'Mechs, and will shortly have a 385 for my Victors because yes. I...don't actually have any standard engines as I generally sell them to make some money for internal upgrades for a new 'Mech. yes, I'm that much of an XL junkie. Standards are for wimps.

I'll say that you're largely right with the 300 and 330. The 300 is generally considered the sweet spot for engines, you get progressively less return for more investment as you go above 300, and of course smaller engines provide less speed, heat sinks, and maneuverability. I'd recommend keeping a 250 on hand if you're at all into mediums as it's proven surprisingly useful for a lot of my smaller 'Mechs, but it's not an essential thing.

#5 Broad5ide

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 255 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:43 AM

mediums should almost always use standards imo. They're light enough that they keep the speed they need in them but are heavy enough to mount decent weaponry on top of them. obviously there are a few exceptions (cicada, CN9-D) but I expect this trend to continue in the future.

Edited by Broad5ide, 28 July 2013 - 10:44 AM.

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

Heh...funny, I tend to think just the opposite. Outside of a few notable exceptions (Hucnhbacks, zombie-configured Cents), mediums are great candidates for Xl engines. You're not going to really be durable regardless of what you do, so why go slow and have crappy guns? And yes - there isn't a 'Mech alive, save Stalkers and Atlases, which isn't slower and crappier than it otherwise might have been with a standard in it.

'Course, I'm the sort of guy who can't really see the point in using 'Mechs that aren't good with XL engines, or puts XL engines even in 'Mechs most folks say shouldn't have them, so I'm not a strictly unbiased source.

#7 heleqin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 101 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Std 250, 275, 300

XL255, 280, 300, 325, 340, 350

these are the sweet spots for me, i used to have an XL315 i occasionally used on my dragons and because it was the max engine size for Catapults and Jagermechs, but i ultimately found that the 300 was just a better fit on those mechs, and the dragon works better with either a bigger engine or the 300 as well.

i would say that i use the XL255, 280, and 300 in more than 75% of my heavies mediums and lights. with the exception of those lights and mediums that have an engine cap under 250, i never use an engine rated less than 250

#8 Drakari

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I love how the Blackjack manages to hang around just a little too low to use the common engines... 295 on the 1X hurts the most...

#9 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Appreciate the feedback folks!

#10 Shifty Eyes

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM

I don't have much experience with cents, but I've never had to go XL in a hunchback. You can max or near-max in a standard and still have plenty of tonnage left to pack a punch.

I'll put XL's in my cicadas, and as much as it pains me, I'll also put them in by BJs. I wish standard was more viable in a BJ, they seem to have exposed torsos for their size.

I see a lot of players that I think are nuts with XL's in very exposed mechs, like jagers. I just don't think the trade-off is worth it when you're side torsos are so very exposed and speed isn't absolutely essential to your build. Honestly, for me there's not a lot of difference between 74kph and 61kph in a heavy/assault.

#11 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

View PostShifty Eyes, on 13 August 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Honestly, for me there's not a lot of difference between 74kph and 61kph in a heavy/assault.

It depends on the model, but you get a combination of better turn speed, better twist speed, and better speed in general. that could be the difference between returning to base and defending, or getting capped. It could be the difference between closing on a sniper, or getting scrapped trying. It does make a difference in being hit while on the side, and it lets you circle your prey better.

That said, it's not essential for every build, and it may vary with your play style.

#12 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

For Standards, I find myself using the following engines very often:

250 STD
260 STD
300 STD

For XL, I tend to use these:

255XL
300XL

#13 Wittyname Terribad

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

For standards, I've got a 250, 260, 270, 280, 300, 325, and 330
For XLs, I've got a 250, 260, 280, 300, 325, and 375

I use all the XLs quite frequently, the standards are pretty specific use; for example, the 250 and 260 standards are only used on my Hunchbacks. The 300 for my Awesomes. The 325 and 330 are for my Highlander and Atlas.

For a go-to for most chassis, I'd put a vote for the 280 or 300. I've used the 300 on everything from Jenners to Trebs to Jagers to Victors

#14 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:58 PM

The 300 STD is very good on anything above sixty tons. You can also do a direct swap out with a 360XL. I do this frequently as I only have one 360XL to share between three Quickdraws and two Victors.

#15 BigBadVlad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:05 AM

STD 250 as its the lowest rated and weight STD engine to give you 10 heat sinks inside. Reasonable speed for the weight in Medium chassis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users