Could we lengthen the cookie for forums auto-login?

23 replies to this topic

#1 Hagetaka

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationMobile, AL

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:51 PM

1-2 weeks isn't a ridiculous length to set it to. It's kinda sad I pretty much have to log in every time I bring up MWO.

Edited by Hagetaka, 11 June 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#2 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:53 PM

The web admin has no intention in that. If you do not close the tab, you do not log out. He cares about security over convenience. I like to see someone who is considered for our security, more so when the game goes live and people may have credit card info tied to their account.

#3 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

The forums automatically log you out unless you're F5'ing.

#4 LordBeer

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Yeah it logs me out automatically quite often. Timer on it does not seem very long although I've never actually clocked it.

#5 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:45 PM

I can leave my tab open for a day, not check it and 95% of the time I am still logged in.

Is it REALLY that hard to put your password in when you come to check on the forums? If you are checking up that often that is is a bother, just leave the tab open, go have dinner or what not and enjoy.

#6 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostCoffiNail, on 11 June 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

I can leave my tab open for a day, not check it and 95% of the time I am still logged in.

Is it REALLY that hard to put your password in when you come to check on the forums? If you are checking up that often that is is a bother, just leave the tab open, go have dinner or what not and enjoy.

I leave the tab open. Unless I refresh every twenty minutes at minimum I am logged out from the forums.

#7 Tarquinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

View PostCoffiNail, on 11 June 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

It isn't hard, but it is quite inconvenient.

Also, this is a forum about Internet Roberts, not the ******* CIA.

#8 Freyar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 413 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

View PostTarquinn, on 12 June 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

It isn't hard, but it is quite inconvenient.

Also, this is a forum about Internet Roberts, not the ******* CIA.

But dude.. Internet Roberts is the most important thing in the world!

#9 DearPrincessCelestia

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:01 AM

Having to log in every time I come back to this site is ******* annoying. Also if I'm following a link I have to log in and then it kicks me back to the home page so I have to hit back and then refresh every time which just adds to my annoyance.

There's literally zero reason it should log me out every time; what's the point of having a "keep me logged in" checkbox if it don't keep you logged in?

#10 ChickenWing

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:57 AM

Agreed. If they're going to make us log out, put a note that sessions expire every x minutes and nix the 'keep me logged in' checkbox. Honestly I was considering filing a bug report because I didn't know other people were having this issue.

#11 Jost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

It may be browser-dependent. On the desktop, I use firefox most of the time, and I seem to stay logged in for hours without F5ing.

However, the situation is worse on my Android (using the Dolphin browser). I end up having to log in pretty much any time I visit another application and then return.

Edited by Jost, 12 June 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#12 TheWorstRobot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

I agree that it's incredibly annoying.

#13 GreatBeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 536 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Agreed. I'm getting logged after 20-30 minutes.

#14 Cpl Buttlescut

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts
  • LocationWhere ever home is

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:50 AM

I'm kinda the same way as these guys are. Except I usually never go to another tab when looking at the forums. Last time I tried to leave a comment it logged me out before I was able to post it. I got pissed and said " **** this, if it's going to do this every time I'm just going to give up."
I take time to think of what I'm going to say and to check to make sure I'm not repeating what someone just said, unless I'm making a direct quote.

#15 Esch

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 177 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:17 AM

Yep, same problem here, using FF 12.

#16 Loch Verus

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Yep getting logged out in the middle of reading a thread all the time, if I get up to get a drink and press next page odds are I've been logged out. Very very very annoying and actually makes me read the forums less, it is that annoying. I participate in computer security forums and I don't get kicked off as often as a forum about make believe robots. The keep me logged in button makes no difference as far as I can tell.

#17 Rappo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 01:09 PM

I agree 100% with the OP, it is a bit on the annoying side.

#18 Supremacist

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Its almost been a day since this request has been submitted, can the devs take a break from sending beta keys to herp derps and go ahead and fix this?

#19 GearBoxClock

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 52 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

It's pretty annoying that the "Stay loggged in" button doesn't actually do anything.

#20 Draelren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 191 posts
  • LocationBeaverton, OR

Posted 13 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

I'm on this bandwagon so hard. I almost posted the issue myself several times.

Check "stay logged in" keep the tab open... refresh 2 hours later, hey... I'm logged out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users