New concept art drawings ... what do they tell me?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

Hey

The great Atlas concept drawing in addition to looking really great seemed to suggest to me that the configuration of our mechs might ... and I stress MIGHT... result in the outward appearance of our mech changing too.

SO we change the AC/20 for a LRM20 and the model of our mech that everyone sees no longer has the stubby barrel of an AC20 in the left torso but now the ominous exit ports for 20 LRM missiles.

The drawings seem to represent a whole series of possible configurations for the Atlas.

Now I'm not sure ... it could be that each picture represents a KNOWN variant of the Atlas or they could be quite random.

I'm not sure which I'd prefer variants or random but I definitely would LOVE to see the weapons mounted on the mech reflected in its appearance in a very clear and meaningful way as these drawings seemt o suggest.

Do you lot agree with my evaluation?

#2 benefedaykin

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationEarth... possibly

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Yup. Sounds about right. MWLL has this feature and is a fan-made mod, so I'm sure the Devs for MWO with all their expertise can pull it off.

I would be sadly disappointed if this wasn't the case and if the models did not change based on weapon configuration...

#3 Alistair Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 516 posts
  • LocationFlorence, SC

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

View Postbenefedaykin, on 09 November 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

Yup. Sounds about right. MWLL has this feature and is a fan-made mod, so I'm sure the Devs for MWO with all their expertise can pull it off.

I would be sadly disappointed if this wasn't the case and if the models did not change based on weapon configuration...

This is what I was going to say. If a fan-made conversion mod for Crysis can do it, I don't see why MWO wouldn't. I REALLY hope this is the case, and that they implement the MW4:Mercs MekTek customization, with limited (but more varied) options for customization. OR have 6 variants like MWLL has. OR a combination of the two, with the MechLab customs being more expensive/time-consuming. Anyway...

Good post, OP, and I agree. I hope this is the case.

#4 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:45 AM

As far as the customization itself goes .... Personally I think i'd like us to be able to choose between different variants. (technology and date allowing of course.] AND if the mech is designated as an OMNI mech then we should be able to have full customization. This will represent the huge step forward omni mechs represented.

#5 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:09 AM

I think you may be reading too much into the concept art. It is concept art, artists usually sketch out many versions of the same thing with slight differences to see what works, see what the company likes, to market test and many other reasons. This just looks like the kind of thing you would see when trying to re-imagine something established like an Atlas. You can see where he tried different skull designs, some more and some less like the "normal" one we are used to seeing from TROs. Trying different things and seeing what sticks is just a part of the process. Early concept art like this sets the aesthetic tone for the game and many things are tried and cast aside. I do not think it signals "We will have interchangeable parts." I think the concept art we have seen signals a grittier, nastier and more practical Mechwarrior title then previous games.

I do think we will get a slightly different visual model per variant however. The F2P game type and their reference to LoL would be good indicators for this. Tons of champions in LoL, tons of variants of the 'mechs we already have. 'Mech variants are a way to keep new content flowing into the game without having to model/animate/balance 100% new 'mechs from scratch. If they all looked the same, it would decrease the incentive to use them and we would lose the nice touch of being able to visually recognize certain configs in the field.

#6 Taliesin

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

What Amechwarrior said. The variations are simply the artist exploring different shapes and silhouettes to see what works before producing the final design. However, again as Amechwarrior said, I imagine there will be some degree of customisation for your mechs resulting in a variety of outward appearances.

Tal.

#7 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:32 AM

View PostAmechwarrior, on 10 November 2011 - 04:09 AM, said:

I think you may be reading too much into the concept art. It is concept art, artists usually sketch out many versions of the same thing with slight differences to see what works, see what the company likes, to market test and many other reasons...

I do think we will get a slightly different visual model per variant however. The F2P game type and their reference to LoL would be good indicators for this. Tons of champions in LoL, tons of variants of the 'mechs we already have. 'Mech variants are a way to keep new content flowing into the game without having to model/animate/balance 100% new 'mechs from scratch. If they all looked the same, it would decrease the incentive to use them and we would lose the nice touch of being able to visually recognize certain configs in the field.

I'm inclined to agree with this. As much as people want to customize 'mechs I think going instead with a huge number of Variants would be more interesting and lead to more varied play. Also, it would finally make the notion of an omnimech relevant in a Mechwarrior game.

#8 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:58 AM

View Posthayden, on 10 November 2011 - 04:32 AM, said:

I'm inclined to agree with this. As much as people want to customize 'mechs I think going instead with a huge number of Variants would be more interesting and lead to more varied play. Also, it would finally make the notion of an omnimech relevant in a Mechwarrior game.

I couldn't agree more :)

#9 Red Pins

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:47 AM

...Frankly, I get the feeling most units are going to be customs if its going to be possible.

#10 mouzerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Locationnetherlands; terra

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

what i have under stand from theFAQ you can customise your mech.

#11 Dihm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

Changing from one variant to another, technically, could be called customization. :)

Especially if you throw in cosmetic items and paint schemes.

I'm with Hayden on this one. Lots of variants for purchase, leave the loadout customization for omnimechs. Otherwise, what's the point of an omnimech other than looks?

#12 LordKelvin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:30 AM

View Postbenefedaykin, on 09 November 2011 - 10:55 PM, said:

I'd also like to point out that the free standalone MekTek game AssaultTech1 also has this feature, and it was built largely from the ground up.

Art aside, the concept is certainly more than feasible (you simply change the model affixed to the location based on what weapons are in that location), and it's very likely that we'll see something like this in the game. The only question left is how much customization there actually will be available to mechs to effect enough changes in the loadout to require a visual model change to reflect it.

#13 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:36 AM

View PostDihm, on 10 November 2011 - 08:18 AM, said:

Changing from one variant to another, technically, could be called customization. :)

Especially if you throw in cosmetic items and paint schemes.

I'm with Hayden on this one. Lots of variants for purchase, leave the loadout customization for omnimechs. Otherwise, what's the point of an omnimech other than looks?

Its not really customization when its re-engineered from the ground up to be built brand new at a factory. Some variants are inspired by field modifications, but these will always be more refined and have parts that fit together better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users