Kroner Goes to Galatea

7 replies to this topic

#1 kroner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Md

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Note to Mods: Ooops, sorry, just realized that this thread probably belongs in Fan Fiction instead. Could you move?

Adventures of a young Lyran noble.

Karl Kaufberg is age 21, the fifth of six children. He has a younger sister, age 16, who is preparing to enter Pandora College Training Battalion herself soon. Only Karl and his younger sister, Francine, have tested positive for mechwarrior aptitude. Neither of Karl's parents nor his four older siblings have Mech aptitude. The next older sibling from Karl is a full ten years older than Karl. Karl and Francine Kaufberg pretty much grew up together under the tutelege of Klaus and Helga (Karl's retainers). Francine remains one of Karl's closest friends and confidantes.

The following correspondences are private letters from Karl to his sister, Francine, whom he calls Sissy, affectionately. Needless to say, Karl would be mortified if anyone ever read these missives....

Edited by kroner, 22 November 2011 - 05:43 PM.

#2 kroner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Md

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:19 PM

Galatea City, Galatea

May 15, 3048

Dear Sissy,

I've made it to Galatea City after six weeks on the jumpship. A full two weeks behind schedule. We spent two weeks languishing at some godforsaken zenith station while our jumpship underwent “routine maintenance.” I will never forgive father for making me take steerage class transport on this trip. I am wearing my last clean uniform and there was a total lack of amenities on the transport dropship for the last two weeks. I now regret sending Klaus ahead of me to set up the apartment instead of staying with me for the entire voyage

I am in quarantine for an entire day now that I have made planet fall on Galatea. The lights of the city are calling to me and I think that I can see a suitable marina from the hotel where we are staying. Speaking of which, please write soon and tell me that my care package is all arranged and safely on its way.

Also, I know that he will ask, so please tell father that I will check on Amadeus as soon as I clear customs.

I left before the final decision was made, but please prevail on mother to keep Nonny Volker at home.

Kisses to Mother,

Karl

Edited by kroner, 22 November 2011 - 05:44 PM.

#3 kroner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Md

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:47 PM

May 20, 3048

Dear Sissy,

Thanks for your note.

Klaus found a suitable apartment. I found several suitable night clubs and even a few Donegal Gaurd veterans. In fact every night club I visit seems to have an abundance of Donegal Gaurd veterans. This must be a popular destination for our esteemed brigade. Just goes to show that I made the correct decision. Ta Ta!

Please tell father that Amadeus is safely secured in the local Hanger. Contract details attached. No need for him to thank me for the discount I obtained for the rental rate. I really must object however. Did you know that he sent Andrea (I forget her last name) along with Amadeus? He said nothing about that. Not to mention the brief note about her salary being deducted from my Devil stipend?

Really. Father is being a very bad sport about this whole endeavor. I wish that Grandfather were still alive. He would not allow this nonsense. On second thought. Please don't tell Father that I obtained the aforementioned discount.

Kisses to mother

Karl

Edited by kroner, 22 June 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#4 kroner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Md

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:11 PM

May 24, 3048

Dear Sissy,

I don't think that Father's comments deserve a response at this time, so I will just be silent. Yes, for once.
I do want to let you know that I have successfully registered with the Mercenary Review and Bonding Commission on Galatea City, Galatea.

Your big brother is officially a grizzled mercenary hand. Ta-Ta! What do you say to that, Sissy? One day you may follow me and I will provide you with a suitable reference if you are nice to me! Just kidding, of course I will provide you with a reference.

I must say, however, that there is a deficit of suitable employers. I have have had my application on the interwebs for two days and have only gotten one message from some unit, Drakes Dracs, or somesuch. As if!

Thankfully, the message came with a video component. I am pretty sure that the unit commander was missing an eye and maybe a few fingers. I think that he was also drunk when he left the message.

I am going to go back to the MRBC HQ tomorrow to see if I can find a more reputable unit.

I need some ideas, Sissy. Where can I find a good unit? I have some ideas on how to present myself, but I need some leads.

Oh, bother, I forgot to mention that Klaus fell sick yesterday. I had to go to the store myself. Twice! Ha Ha! I think it is the local ecology go to his stomach. I must be getting soft. I gave him off the entire day. He didn't look very grateful though.

What have you heard about Nonny Volker? Father has been very quiet and I am getting a little nervous.

Kisses to Mother,

Karl

Edited by kroner, 22 June 2012 - 07:43 PM.

#5 kroner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Md

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:30 PM

May 25, 3048

Sissy! You are a genius! Of course, the tri-vids! Ta ta! Ha ha!

There is action all over the Draconis and Free Worlds fronts these days. I am sure that I will find something on the vids about local campaigns. See? Now I will have to give you a portion of my first combat bonus! Ta ta! Ha Ha!

Kisses to Mother.

Karl

#6 Lina Thoren

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans, LA

Posted 20 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

((Glad to see you're continuing this. :) ))

#7 LtPoncho

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 198 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Excellent work, mate - very well done. You have talent!

#8 kroner

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, Md

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:47 PM

May 29, 3048

Dear Sissy,

Of course, Klaus has been feeling better for days now. He even has my apartment whipped into shape and the 'medicine' cabinet stocked. Only took him the better part of two weeks.

Just so you know, I think I found a promising unit down near the Free Worlds front. Some rinky-donk backwater called Aldmar or somesuch. Whatever. I am downloading the video coverage. Looks recent and I actually had to pay for the pixels. Some sort of local interdiction on the file. Ha Ha! Ta Ta! Kroner gets what Kroner wants!

Meanwhile I had an actual interview today with Cramer's Krushers. Jeesh. I should have known that it was a bad lead when the title of the unit doesn't even illiterate correctly. Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think that the person I interviewed with could read. He did smell like a Pandoran NeedGate Bladder Rat though.

Andrea (Smith! her last name is Smith!) sent me a message today asking for instructions on something or another regarding Amadeus. I am forwarding you her message. What do you think I should tell her? I hope she isn't going to ask me to come to the Mech bay. She kind of stares at me. She is pretty. But she is a commoner. Pretty. Common. Ha Ha! A pretty commoner. Ta Ta!

Kisses to Mother

Karl

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users