Graphics Settings Don't Change

8 replies to this topic

#1 Stveh57

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:13 AM

Hi folks,

I currently have the rss feed issue that some have, which I've partially fixed by reinstalling/patching - at least I can now play the game!

The issue now is that, no matter what graphics settings I select, I still get low quality graphics a 60fps. Now while 60fps is nice, I would like to be able to get what I've selected. Oh, and I've reinstalled the nvidia driver.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Steve

#2 Lancer Deistler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationStationed with the 8th Arcturan Guards at Here

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

A little more information on your rig (OS, videocard, processor, monitor etc.) would be nice for technical questions like these.

First of all i assume you clicked the right button "save" after selecting your settings (Sometimes everyone misses those obvious things ;)). Maybe you installed the game on a write or access protected area on your hard drive. Under Win 7 this happened to me with another game. On the other hand you might not notice a big difference in graphic quallity of MWO between the different settings at all, since the game doesn't use the full potential of the CryEngine.

Edit:
Not shure if you mean resolution or graphic options like object detail, shadows etc.

Edited by Lancer Deistler, 03 August 2013 - 10:11 AM.

#3 Stveh57

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:10 AM

Hi,

Definitely pressed save as its still on 'very high' settings now, despite giving 60fps (its been 35-40fps on high ever since I've been playing MWO) and low res graphics. And this only happened today after I got the RSS feed problem and had to reinstall MWO and my NVidia driver, so I don't think this is suddenly hardware related, especially as my other games are working ok.
And yes, I can notice a difference between settings, especially in the HUD text etc.

Steve

#4 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Hmm. I had similar issue where i couldnt tone down my graphics. The problem for me was I was editing my user.cfg file. But, i think reinstalling the game would clear that. So, I only know of two things to check...

First, see if there is a file called user.cfg in the piranha games/mechwarrior online/. Folder. Open it in notepae and make sure its empty, or delete it.

Second, check your video card settings under control panel and make sure there arent custom settings for mechwarrior.

Other than that.... Not sure what else it could be.

#5 Lancer Deistler

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 193 posts
  • LocationStationed with the 8th Arcturan Guards at Here

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

There is also a xml file in the MWO\USER\Profiles\<Your Pilot Name> folder called attributes.xml. You can check if the values there match with the settings you made ingame.

Edited by Lancer Deistler, 03 August 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostStveh57, on 03 August 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Hi,

Definitely pressed save as its still on 'very high' settings now, despite giving 60fps.

I'll tell you why. One, restart to see significant changes.

Two, most graphics above medium do not actually "exist" at the moment, as PGI's focus has been entirely on low end settings and low end graphics due to the large number of F2P players being low-end PC users. July was the advertised start of higher end quality changes. The current MWO has yet to reach the graphic fidelity of closed beta, from which it was reduced down as it ran very poorly even on systems with 16 gigabytes of ram, quad core processor and twin video cards. (But it was so beautiful!) Only textures, some distance LoDs, and various film grains really change at the moment.

#7 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,668 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:48 PM

View PostStveh57, on 03 August 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Hi folks,

I currently have the rss feed issue that some have, which I've partially fixed by reinstalling/patching - at least I can now play the game!

The issue now is that, no matter what graphics settings I select, I still get low quality graphics a 60fps. Now while 60fps is nice, I would like to be able to get what I've selected. Oh, and I've reinstalled the nvidia driver.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers
Steve

1. No system information so none are able to comment on where your FPS should be.
2. Playing in Windowed/Full Windowed mode (selected in Options - designates how the combat view is handled) caps FPS at 60FPS, if the system can run that. A few, especially those running older Nvidia cards, play in this mode to reduce the overall workload on the GPU. Running in Full Screen the game will run at the highest FPS that is possible with GPU/CPU, but will usually result in overtaxing, excess heat/power consumption.

Use the MWO Repair Tool that is stickied in the Suggest workaround to reset the game to default settings. But as others have posted, PGI has reduced the overall quality to allow more lower end systems to run ok on it.

Edit - Didn't one of the earlier options versions allow a player to set his FPS, to put a max FPS on it without needing to edit the user.cfg file?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 August 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#8 Stveh57

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:26 AM

Fixed the problem.

Re-ran the repair tool and used the option to reset shaders etc.
For whatever reason this seemed to do the trick and the graphics quality went up and frame rate went down.

Still got the RSS problem though.

#9 Jabilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:07 AM

View PostStveh57, on 04 August 2013 - 03:26 AM, said:

graphics quality went up and frame rate went down.

Ah, the conundrum of PC gaming!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users