- - - - -

Yet Another "what To Get" Thread

15 replies to this topic

#1 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

I know you guys must get tired of seeing these kinds of threads, but I appreciate the input. I'm not really sure which chassis to pick up next. I have my Jenners and my Hunchbacks elited, and have kept 2 variants of each of those. Very happy with them.

I have one Cicada X-5. Not real excited with the Cicadas, I'll keep the X-5 (since I paid real $ for it :( ), but I doubt I'll add any more to the fold.

I was looking for something in a heavy class, and started with a Cataphract 4X. I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not, but figured I'd try it out. Frankly, I'm not really warming up to it. I have it mostly through basic unlocks (one left I think-torso speed), but I'm not sure if I want to pick up 2 other variants of this chassis. I like the weight and the armor, and I did put a STD 255 engine in it. I'm not happy with the low slung arm hardpoints though, but I am getting better with it.

I really wanted to get into the Jagers, and build a dakka mech, 2 AC2's and 2 UAC5's or similar, but I can't build one I like. I like the high weapon hardpoints especially. But by the time you max out the armor and put a decent sized engine in it, you have no room for both weapons and ammo. It makes no sense to me to run a heavy mech with only half armor. I also can't see the sense in getting into a heavy mech chassis that has less firepower than my Hunchbacks carry.

I've been tempted to skip over the heavies and go straight to assaults. If I go that route, I'm leaning towards the Stalkers.

I'd like a heavy variant in my arsenal, but not one that's just a glorified medium. What I'm after is to have a couple variants of one chassis of light, medium, heavy, and eventually assault in my mech bays. Should I stay with the 'phracts, or am I over looking something?

What are your recommendations?

Thanks.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 03 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

My first mechs that I actually leveled up were Stalkers (like you, I started with a Cicada, but a 3C, which are worthless). The CDA 2A is a blast to pilot, though, so you might want to try that one out.

For Stalkers, they're all pretty good. The only thing I'd say is get a standard engine, make it a 300 or 310, and then build out from there. While Stalkers aren't speedy, and the big engine won't change that, they will turn and rotate faster with the big engine.

Try to keep your nose pointed at the enemy, because otherwise you're just a giant blimp that's incredibly easy to hit.

Stalkers are, in nearly every build, boats: they can fit gobs of energy and missile weapons (the only exception being the Misery, which can mount a grand total of one). Because of this, they run hot. Keep this in mind when building, too.

Stalkers are best used as either support or ambush predators. Take your time and keep with the pack, or loop around to the flank once the fighting's started. When Stalkers are the center of attention, they die pretty quick.

#3 Royalewithcheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

Cataphracts are very good (esp. the 3D), and Jagermechs are solid, too. The main thing with Jagermechs is that they basically need an XL engine to run big ballistics, but have huge side torsos that make an XL a very risky proposition. They're high-risk-high-reward robots.

For Assaults, I'd consider going straight to the DDC if you like dakka. AC/20, Gauss, and 2xUAC/5 are all good main guns for that chassis. Victor can run basically anything an Atlas can run, if you don't mind trading durability and ECM for mobility and Jump Jets. Highlander is arguably stronger than Atlas at the moment, and can also run any big ballistic with Jump Jets.

Edited by Royalewithcheese, 03 August 2013 - 08:57 PM.

#4 Bracchus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 125 posts
  • LocationThe cold north of Sweden

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

The best heavy (in my experience) is the Cat K2. I run 2x AC10 and 4x MLAS and it works great. Sadly if you want it elited you will have to stick your nose into the smelly piece of boring called LRMs, as the other Cat varients are all pretty much LRM boats.

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:37 AM

Now that SRMs are back, Catapults are good platforms again.

But personally the Phract-3D is my platform of choice, or an Ilya if I'm griding for CBills.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:59 AM

The Ilya and 3D are good and you just have to pick one other Phract to go with it. The 4X has this build where you can squeeze in 2xUAC5 and 2xAC5 with a 255XL engine and some ammo with shaved off legs which might be what you want.

I think it goes something like this.

#7 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

try a highlander. :( They're fun mechs. Kinda funky but you could go meta or get creative with them. They're pretty powerful mechs.

Haven't gotten around to the victors yet. I too am working on the phracts and it's taken me a while to get good at torso turning with them cuz they get cored so easily :) so easily I've tried them with XL's which limits the beef in your right torso, and you're still fragile'ish. the poptarting one seems best. last night I ran one with an ac20 and 2LPL's for ***** and giggles. got frozen city night, thank god, went to the tunnel, encountered a blackjack and a highlander. slew the black jack and almost cored the highlander and after he got me and I laughed in 'all chat' he goes "phew! I was shaking!" was hilarious. you can get creative and try different loadout/play styles. on that one I had the LPL's in the torsos and the ac20 there, dropped some armor off the arms since they were weaponless. but they haven't been my favorite mech. atlas and stalkers are pretty sweet too.

#8 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:55 AM

The Cataphract 4X you have is the slowest variant and isn't used that much. The 3D is one of the best 'mechs in the game and can take larger engine sizes so is no slouch. It's a pretty flexible 'mech and you'll be able to do a number of things beyond the usual 2PPC/GR. As you've got one Cataphract I'd consider getting two more and in-particular levelling up the 3D.

#9 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 04 June 2014 - 04:49 AM

You already have the ultimate dakka mech - the Cataphract 4X.

Get a XL engine (XL255 works well on lots of mechs) or heck (as they're expensive), get a mech that already comes with an XL255.

The XL255 will give you room to mount 4 (yes, 4) AC5s. Stuff in lots of ammo. Dakakakakakakakakaka!

#10 Torgun

• 1,598 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 04 June 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

Get a XL engine (XL255 works well on lots of mechs) or heck (as they're expensive), get a mech that already comes with an XL255.

The XL255 will give you room to mount 4 (yes, 4) AC5s. Stuff in lots of ammo. Dakakakakakakakakaka!

#11 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

you know, i have been having lots of fun with the thunder bolts. I put an XL300 in them, then use ER lasers, and Medium pulse, along with some sorta ballistics. One of the variants i had a BAP+dual streaks.

The TDR -9SE is my favorite, it has JJ's, Bap+pair of streaks, 2 ER large, 3 medium pulse
the TDR. Fast, nice long range damage and does a number up close.

TSR- 9S is the one with dual AMS, it was a freebe a while back for getting 5 wins so you might have it. I played around with an LBX-10, and ER large, and 4 ML's.

there is also the TDR-5SS, which 7 energy points, and an 1x10 missisle rack..

Along with the 5S, this is the heavier missile varriant 1x20, 1x10. but also has 2 balisitics, and 4 energy slots. I see this one as more of a brawler.But i think most would think longer range.

anyway, they are fun, they kinda play like a big medium which i know you said, you kinda wanted to avoid, but in a way, they do pack a bigger punch, and are not as squishy. They are in a skirmish and have a lot of flexibility, but not real high meta load outs.

that aside, I am going to be trying my hand at stalkers soon.. It is about time i gave um a shot. boating missiles and lasers, sounds fun to me!

PS, if you have not a XL-255 for that 4 AC 4x build, One of the stalkers, the 5M has that exact engine.. Grab a stalker, and now you will have an engine for down the road in a Cataphract 4x build, or it is useful in one of the spider varmints too :D

Edited by JC Daxion, 04 June 2014 - 05:53 AM.

#12 Mott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 887 posts
  • Location[MW] Ransom's Corsairs

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

You'll get used to the low slung arms of the CTF pretty quickly. I'd urge you to try the IM and 3D variants as well. Get them all mastered and you'll see they're very tough, pretty quickish with speed tweak and can all pack one helluva wallop!

I use the IM most because all my favorite loadouts are possible, but primarily because i like the 30% cbill bonus. By the time i was done mastering it, i had enough CBills for BOTH the 3D and the 4X.

I'm a medium pilot though and the CTF is my only heavy.

Now that i've gotten quite good with the blackjacks, i'm tempted to try the Jagers and just treat them the same way. Max engine, max firepower and whatever armor i can squeeze into them - play smart and only pop out of cover when it means i can drop an enemy.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

View PostDunning Kruger Effect, on 04 June 2014 - 04:49 AM, said:

To mention it...this was yet another necro...

Same guy, too. Torgun caught it before any of us with the "rise from your grave" joke.

Edited by Koniving, 04 June 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 04 June 2014 - 10:45 AM

Demi-liches EVERYWHERE :D

#15 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Stick with the ctf's. 3D is one of the best mechs in the game. Ilya is also a beast, other ctf's not as beastly. Get the cicada 3m and torture peeps with ppc's or erll's under the cloak of ecm. Do it, you know you want to!

#16 Dunning Kruger Effect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 135 posts
  • LocationHiding behind my Dragon's centre torso

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:49 PM

My fault. I think I hit the "last post" button where you cycle through the forum pages. :D

*stakes a peg through the heart of the thread*

Die thread die!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users