- - - - -

I Feel Like A Big Sister. Atlas As7 D-Dc

35 replies to this topic

#1 Cyred

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:03 AM

Hello again folks! I joined this game about 2 days ago, watched some guides and stuff and i think i have gotten great control of my own mech, and effective range of my weapons, I chose an Atlas as7 D-DC with 20 heatsinks
1 AC/20
3 SMR 6
2 M lasers.

but for being a big *** schoolyard bully I feel more like a big sister then a big brute, but now its a fact that schoolyard bullies are big sisters anyway, but i kinda feel like I am sitting in a light mech with just extra armor, because my firepower dosent feel dirty enough to cut through at the moment it is 66 i still need a bit of learning, so its no doubt my fault that this mech feels like big sister, but i dont really know what to do to Cut through the enemies easier to make it feels like the brute it look like. btw my mech is work in progress, so by no means is it finished customized yet!

any Atlases with tips? :(

#2 Cyred

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

Oh my ******* god.... page error made me multipost.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:00 AM

Just to qualify, I'm not an Atlas pilot, but I've got some game experience and reciently mastered the Victor.

Generally, the DDC has 2 strengths. It's ECM lets it sneak up on people a bit, and help hide your forces from long range scouts and LRMs, and well, it's an Atlas, so you can mount a ton of weapons.

First tip: Ignore the Firepower rating. That's mostly number created from how much damage you could do in a single alpha strike (firing every weapon at once). It's generally deceiving from true damage output, particularly with missiles.

Looking at your build, I think you could stand a little long range punch to go with your AC20 (If you want to stick with that).

First, you do have Double Heatsinks, right? If not, get those, they'll help you save tonnage and drop heat faster. You might consider EndoSteel as well, but I'd advise against it unless you know you can spare the internal spots.

Next, droping the 2 SRM6s (and ammo) and 2 MLs you should be able to throw in 2 LLs, which will give you some long range punch as you approach, though it will drop your alpha. Another option is to throw on a PPC (Probably ER with the DDC for close range).

Another option would be to swap the AC20 out for either a Gauss (less heat, less damage, little heavier, but more shots per ton) which is about the same net tonnage including ammo, or a UAC5 or AC10. AC10 has better range than the AC20, but hits only half as hard, the UAC5 fires very rapidly till it jams, but also has a better range. With the tonnage you free up, you could upgrade the MLs, or throw Artemis on the SRMs.

Ultimately it's about playstyle. Perhaps your problem is your SRM aim isn't great, so practicing or swapping them out is a good option. Similarly, the Balistics might not be your cup of tea, so learning to aim (IE. Lead your target) is useful, or you find a balistic that suits your need (Different ones travel at different speeds). It might even be the DDC isn't the mech for you. Some people can't do the slow-plodding ninja/damage soaker well.

Also, have you unlocked all your basics yet and what have you upgraded? Those make a HUGE difference, particularly for slow, plodding mechs.

#4 Lockgor

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:17 AM

As Bront may have eluded to, there is alot of mystery in your mech. I, for one, am curious about its engine size, armor dispersion, heat sink type, ect; if you have time, and you are interested in more fine-tuned feedback on your built, I suggest using this site: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17. There, you can build your mech, and use the "Share & save loadout" command towards the top of the screen. It will spit out a few links; post the plain link in the thread, and it will provide access to your mechs' schematic. In anycase, same as Bront: if you are not using double heat sinks, I suggest you purchase them. Unfortunately, the way the game is, they are far too advantageous. Other than that, I think your built is fine for close combat brawling. That's an intrinsically difficult role to fill at the moment, but, I think you have appropriate tools to fill it; in terms of weapon systems. Though, like Bront mentioned, don't put too much stock in the firepower rating. While it should be in the 60ish range I think for a Atlas brawler, the number is only really relevant next to heat efficiency; due to the importance of DPS for the role. Shutting down within 300m of the enemy is far too risky. Though, as you're a new payer; his advice of restructuring your mech as a more ranged combatant may make the learning curve easier. If that's what you end up doing, I definitely suggest dropping the AC-20 for the Gauss Rile.

As for other advice, I think you may want to consider embracing the "big sister" role. Whether I'm piloting my brawler AS7-D, my sniper AS7-K, or my more balanced AS7-D-DC; I find the mech shines when I use it to take care of my "sibling" mechs. Whether that means being the spear-head of an assault, an ECM shield, or fire support/missile watch-tower. The Atlas, or most assault mechs, are especially connected to the team formation. This is due to their speed, large profiles, increased likelihood of being targeted, ect. The schoolyard bully analogy makes me wonder if you're primarily flying solo. If that's the case, then I think apart of your learning curve should be trying to find your place in the team formation. A good Atlas pilot in the middle of a firefight can have an especially disproportionate influence on the entire flow of proceedings; though not without supporting, and being supported by, the other mech's in that situation. If you go it alone, you may find yourself dying like a legged jenner; 100 tons or not, 66 firepower rating or not.

In anycase, I hope that helps.

#5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Yup, support is a key role. When I have an Atlas on my team, I expect it to generally not shy away from the fight, and try to stick with the other larger mechs to draw fire and help provide damage dealing/soaking. You shouldn't be going solo (as in away from teammates), as you're vulnerable to faster mechs or being ganged up on, and you shouldn't be stupid about charging out there (Mostly because many PUGs will leave you hanging out to dry), but if you hang back too far, you'll never get in range to use your awesome firepower, and your teammates will die around you.

The DDC and K are the ultimate big sister mechs. K for range, DDC for brawling.

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

That build used to be the best in the game.

Now you have to use PPC's.

With the new heat scale system you should change your SRM set up as well, because 3 SRM6's will give you a heat penalty.

Try using PPC's in the arms, a gauss rifle to complement if you want, and the SRM's should be 2 SRM 6's and an SRM 2, so that you can alpha them with no heat penalty.

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:32 PM

View PostRoughneck45, on 04 August 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

That build used to be the best in the game.

Now you have to use PPC's.

With the new heat scale system you should change your SRM set up as well, because 3 SRM6's will give you a heat penalty.

Try using PPC's in the arms, a gauss rifle to complement if you want, and the SRM's should be 2 SRM 6's and an SRM 2, so that you can alpha them with no heat penalty.

It's actually the 4th SRM6 that causes issues. 3 is the limit before scaling.

SRMs are back to being useful though, and the AC20 packs a nice punch. I just think that he'd be better served with something with a bit more range to complement them (PPCs do work nicely into that).

#8 Lan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostCyred, on 04 August 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

Hello again folks! I joined this game about 2 days ago, watched some guides and stuff and i think i have gotten great control of my own mech, and effective range of my weapons, I chose an Atlas as7 D-DC with 20 heatsinks
1 AC/20
3 SMR 6
2 M lasers.

but for being a big *** schoolyard bully I feel more like a big sister then a big brute, but now its a fact that schoolyard bullies are big sisters anyway, but i kinda feel like I am sitting in a light mech with just extra armor, because my firepower dosent feel dirty enough to cut through at the moment it is 66 i still need a bit of learning, so its no doubt my fault that this mech feels like big sister, but i dont really know what to do to Cut through the enemies easier to make it feels like the brute it look like. btw my mech is work in progress, so by no means is it finished customized yet!

any Atlases with tips? :D

Heya, welcome to the game. :D

First off, you are the most heavily armored and the largest mech out there. Secondly, you do not have the greatest number of hardpoints and not the largest Alpha.on the block but it is big enough to dent anything and everything. So don't feel despondent just yet.

Here's the MechSpecs subforum for Atlas;
http://www.mechspecs....php?board=22.0

And here's my Atlas Playbook, a summary of good advice and my experience with all four Atlas.
http://www.mechspecs...hp?topic=1586.0

The main thing with Atlas is that they require you to think ahead, a lot. You choose the engagement, on your terms. Being a large target means you hide until it is time to push, that usually means when sight range equals kill range. Make sure you know your weapons, the SRM and MLAS have effective ranges of 270m, so get close.

As others have been saying, the current meta is for ranged weaponry like PPC's and Gauss. This is no good for the largest boy in town, you can mount PPC's and Gauss but beware not tro try the sniping game. Your weapons are low on your body and you are the size of a house, no matter your armor, it's not a good idea. By all means, PPC's and Gauss can be good on a Atlas but if so, use them to push closer and enable your teammates to get into brawl range.

It's all there in the Playbook, just repeated some of it. Happy gaming, Atlas! :D

#9 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:55 PM

You have Gestalt psychic powers and a drill on your arm?

#10 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

The standard build is based on Large Lasers. Those and ECM give you just enough to close the distance. If you must, pepsi can work with a bit less SRM punch.

#11 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

The D-DC can be an incredible long range support platform as well. LRMS & ppc/gauss combos can work very well.

#12 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostModo44, on 04 August 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

The standard build is based on Large Lasers. Those and ECM give you just enough to close the distance. If you must, pepsi can work with a bit less SRM punch.

For the PPC build, I'd drop 2 Heat Sinks and add Endo-Steel. This will give you 5 extra tons to play with, which is enough to upgrade to a Standard 325 Engine, which would let you add back in one of the Heat Sinks. You'll have an extra half ton to put some armour back on the Legs. You lose one Heat Sink for an extra 4.4 kph.

#13 KharnZor

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,584 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Also i'd go and walk around the maps in Training grounds to learn where you can and cant go. Many new players who choose the Atlas as their first mech often rage when in-game about getting stuck or being unable to find a route to go on maps such as the new volcano map and canyons (these two being prime examples) but with prior knowledge of these maps its not much of a problem at all.
If you've taken the advise from the players in this thread and you are still having issues then i'd advise getting on one of the Teamspeak servers (comstar NA and ngng are good, and if you see me in there dont hesitate to drop me a line) and get to chatting with the veterans. They'll give some tips and after doing a few drops you should get a clearer idea of what you can and cant do in the engine of destruction that is the Atlas.

Edited by KharnZor, 04 August 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#14 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 04 August 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

For the PPC build, I'd drop 2 Heat Sinks and add Endo-Steel.

Yeah, I would too. Just wanted to show lasers vs pepsi in a similar basic setup for easier comparison.

#15 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostSephlock, on 04 August 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

You have Gestalt psychic powers and a drill on your arm?

Hmm... Bioshock 2

#16 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:59 PM

Your build has indeed a very girly "throwing" range.

Tipp, play around with smurfy, if you think you found a viable build klick there on the weaponslab and see how long you can sustain your fire and what damage per second you could hold up.

And a Atlas is a huge target, my puny 35 dmg cockie Highlander could maybe amputate your girlthrowingarm before you even throw something at me.

In my opinion a brawler should have a little speed and dance around his targets, maybe my idea is wrong, I just drove trial atlas, but see them more in a supporting role. Here some lrm on a hunchback fired, there laser pew pew a sniper, and hey, just 2 rounds of lbx into that freakin spiders ***.
That would be my idea.

#17 Picone

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts
  • Locationqld, australia

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:41 AM

I asked this same question recently.

Check this out: http://mwomercs.com/...-brawler-build/

Long story short is, SRMs are currently buggy

#18 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

If you really want to use SRM drop it down to 4s.

Atlas need bigger engines.... at least 320... advisable to go 350 standard

Atlas armor needs to be front heavy... Most will run 10 points rear.. I go all in and just run 1 point...

I've mastered all variants btw. ..

#19 Lokust Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

View PostMycrus, on 07 January 2014 - 03:05 AM, said:

If you really want to use SRM drop it down to 4s.

Atlas need bigger engines.... at least 320... advisable to go 350 standard

Atlas armor needs to be front heavy... Most will run 10 points rear.. I go all in and just run 1 point...

I've mastered all variants btw. ..

noted: always aim for mycrus' rear. ;)

#20 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 04:02 AM

Why do you think the Jenner is so strong? 30 damage to a back with 10 or less armor...

I would recommend adjusting back armor according to your playstyle. If you tend to charge ahead, keeping it stronger may be a good idea. The paper doll at the end of every match is very helpful with that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users