2 replies to this topic

#1 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:33 AM

If every word in the topic just gave you a big grin, prepare yourself. I've been working on it for nearly the last month and its nearing its first general playable Alpha release, probably in the next 2 weeks. Until then, enjoy this preview!

@0:25 - enemy bot SRMs are bugged and not showing projectile animation :)
@2:00 - theme changing!
@2:25 - another theme
@3:00 - yet another
@3:21 - I got gameboys
@4:47 - oh no shutdown!

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 05 August 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#2 DiamondSkull

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 30 posts
  • LocationGray Death Legion, attached to the Skye Rangers.

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:45 PM

Big rogue games user here, MUDs included, and dwarf fortress fanatic, will give it a try !

#3 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:17 AM

Hey Bauttar, I see i got a PM from you but the website is not letting me view it "There appears to be an error with the database." Sorry I can't respond till they fix it!

Anywho, thought I'd take this opportunity to shed a bit of light on what you see in the video. Each turn your mech gets a certain number of AP (action points) to use, which are derived based on the current walking speed of your mech. So for instance an Assassin with a walking speed of 7 has 3 AP to spend, while a Centurion with a walking speed of 4 has 2 AP. Since I give AP in groups of walking speeds (for instance a Javelin with walking speed of 6 also get 3 AP), I plan to give some kind of bonuses to mechs that have higher speeds yet same AP as those of lesser walking speed (likely in the form of +toHit bonuses against). You can move and shoot in the same turn, or use it all for moving, or all for shooting, or standing around doing nothing. 1 AP is used for standard movement, extra AP required for non-standard terrain or terrain level changes, and 1 AP for weapons fire. Only one weapon can be fired per turn, and each weapon has a cooldown of 10 turns after being fired. Heat dissipation is calculated as 1/10 of the heat sinks per turn.

So while the heat and weapon system are very closely tied to the Battletech board game the movement is not. I deemed this necessary because at first I tried to keep the movement system exactly 1/10th of a turn, but this meant that mechs slower than a running speed of 10 would in some cases not be able to move until their movement expired after 10 turns. It just wasn't fun, so I switched over to this system and I think its overall a better experience. However, due to the nature of the game and the extra movement you get from AP over the course of 10 turns there is no torso twisting.

Most of the rest of the battletech rules are completely intact (though I haven't yet done the critical slots), so things like line of sight, to hit and movement penalties, and such are all based on the exact same 1d6 and 2d6 die rolls.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 06 August 2013 - 05:22 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users