Golden Boy Builds

35 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenAnt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

I know it isn't in smurfy's yet but using the shadow hawk as a reference I came up with the following:

280 STD for 90.7 w/tweak
LA- 1LL 2x SSRM
LT-Empty
CT- 2xSRM 4
RT- Empty
RA-2ML

2-3 tons ammo for SRM 4
1-2 Tons for SSRM2's

It sits at aboug 31% cooling eff. My idea is to have somthing fast enough and with the right payload that can deter lights, but also a pop that can do some damage to the heavier chassis. What kind of build are you guys going to go with?

#2 Glucose

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 286 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

StreakCat(almost) + 2 Large Lasers?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a28985ee31ac776

Edited by Glucose, 06 August 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#3 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 11:44 AM

Definitely waiting for the quickdraw/treb fast regular variants... the 18 looks beast, 1 energy slot isn't worth that much of a speed hit in my oppinion.

#4 Star Seven

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWinston-Salem, NC

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

I really don't get this, I know you don't want Pay to Win, but if they want me to pay my money for this why do the hero mechs have to continue to be inferior.

20kph slower
less torso movement
less arm movement

+ 1 energy slot. whoopie!!! an extra medium laser or tag! (to me those are what would make the most sense)

I like this game, but I'm not seeing the value in these mech purchases vs grinding. I ignore the XP/Cbills, Its really not that hard to earn XP or Cbills at this point. (others may see more value there, and yes this is my lowly opinion.

The 18 really does look beast!...thats the one I'll be saving my Cbills for!

Edited by Star Seven, 06 August 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#5 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:17 PM

Yeah seriously, I think PGI is being way too scared by the whole idea of P2W....

Just look at the ******* engine they put in GB. XL220. Who the f*ck is gonna use an XL220 on ANYTHING?

Anyway, here's my "nerfed original" Kintaro: STD250, 14DHS, Endo-Steel, 3xML, 3xSRM4, 2xSRM6(4ton).

#6 FrozenAnt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

I understand the feelings of this mech being underpowered.and I know that the other variants look superior. However, this is not in the topic of the post.

Also at this point of my life, my time is more valuable than my money, So i'm willing to shell out some money for those extra C-bills!

I will also buy the CB versions of this mech, mostly because I love mediums, and 55 tons is the sweet spot. My most most played mech is the YLW, it has a niche that I like and can work with while having fun. I also almost exclusively pilot Cent's and Dragons. So I'm looking for builds for THIS version.

Thanks!

Edited by FrozenAnt, 06 August 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#7 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:33 PM

It's up on Mechromancer - http://mechromancer....om/?mech=KTO-GB

Lots of missiles. Looks interesting!

I'll probably grab it sometime down the line and work with something like this:

3xSRM6 2xSRM4 3xML AMS 290XL

And light mech hunter:

5xSSRM2 3xMPL AMS 290XL

Edited by Elizander, 06 August 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#8 McQuackers

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:06 PM

The Golden Boy's main difference over the other KTO variants would be the missile tubes.  It's able to launch a salvo of 65 missiles in one go, with pretty decent mobility.

Edited by McQuackers, 06 August 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#9 Star Seven

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

If you're carrying launchers for 65 missles in a 55 ton mech you will not have pretty good mobility or much ammo for launching. If I'm somehow wrong please show me the build.

Even with ENDO, and XL and light on the armor, I just don't see it happening.

Now, being able to launch 26 SRMS at once....thats nice, but the 18 will actually be able to launch 30 SRMs(if desired) and still have better twist and speed. (edit: and yes one less energy point...)

The Boy is seriously gimped.

EDIT2: Sorry don't mean to thread jack....it was the only Golden Boy thread....if anyone would like to continue this discussion maybe we should make a new thread?

Edited by Star Seven, 07 August 2013 - 07:00 AM.

#10 PandaDaddy

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • LocationThe Twin Cities

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

I have mine...... and would be more than happy to return it, just awful. Too slow to get close enough to drop a SRM beat down, and an XL has it being cored 9 out of 10 times..... Money back?????

#11 Rotaugen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationSouthern CA

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostPandaDaddy, on 07 August 2013 - 07:49 AM, said:

I have mine...... and would be more than happy to return it, just awful. Too slow to get close enough to drop a SRM beat down, and an XL has it being cored 9 out of 10 times..... Money back?????

So you can't change the default loadout?

#12 Baba Yogi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 452 posts
  • LocationIstanbul

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostStar Seven, on 07 August 2013 - 06:56 AM, said:

If you're carrying launchers for 65 missles in a 55 ton mech you will not have pretty good mobility or much ammo for launching. If I'm somehow wrong please show me the build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...50e339904554342

:(

#13 Star Seven

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:16 AM

View PostLordhammer, on 07 August 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

Alright...challange met! Good job.

Not a build I would want to run, but you're right as a missle boat you could do with very little armor because if they get to you your probably dead anyway...

Almost 14 Salvos....72kph with tweak....

I could actually see someone being very effective for what it is...

Now, Artimis will not work with 65 missles, but it would be nice to have TAG. Anyways...

I applaud your effort!!! (just noticed no clapping :huh: guy on our forums....I could have used him...)

Thanks Lordhammer!

Edited by Star Seven, 07 August 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#14 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

View PostElizander, on 06 August 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

It's up on Mechromancer - http://mechromancer....om/?mech=KTO-GB

Lots of missiles. Looks interesting!

I'll probably grab it sometime down the line and work with something like this:

3xSRM6 2xSRM4 3xML AMS 290XL

And light mech hunter:

5xSSRM2 3xMPL AMS 290XL

That second links to an AS7-RS. :lol:

#15 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9cc6228bf61da15

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ed0cf01985d18f7

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...90e0f1dffe9944d

#16 latdheretic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

A few thoughts on the Kintaro, and the Golden Boy in particular:

The side torso's are tiny, in playing the mech quite a bit yesterday, I have yet to loose a side torso, they are small and well shielded by the arms. The center torso on the other hand is a significant target, your core is not hard to hit, so that is how you will die when you do. This means that there is no reason not to take an XL engine other than not having the cbills for one.

Other Kintaro's are going to have a pretty high speed cap, and will be well suited to hit and run striking with SRM's and lasers, as is suited by their higher agility in the tuning. The Golden boy on the other hand has a modest engine rating by default (but XL) and a lot of missiles, one thing to note that every spot on the golden boy, the tubes are not limited. Each hard point can carry as many tubes as the location, and hard point number will allow. Based on MWO smurfy, the others will not, this is yet to be seen for certain though. Also compared to the other Kintaro's the golden boy would have lower agility and speed, but more hardpoints 5 missile 3 energy Only one other mech has more missile hard points, and that being the Catapult A1, which has only 6 missile hard points to work with.

What this tells me is while other Kintaro's are likely to be good spat mechs, the Golden Boy is really best suited to being a fire support mech.

While I make no presumptions of being an elite pilot, I have had good luck with this build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c5c43d67c16b25a

#17 Kitane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

GOLDEN BOY

First shot at a 5 LRM5 spam build as a replacement for my 6 LRM5 A1 "surgical" LRM boat.

25 tubes might look a little low, but LRM5 volleys are tightly grouped and do a lot of focused damage, it might do just as much real damage where it counts as 2 LRM20.

It could be possible to upgrade one or two launchers to LRM10 to give it more punch, but a massed LRM5 fire is good enough on its own.

Edited by Kitane, 08 August 2013 - 05:00 AM.

#18 Cromwill

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:20 AM

I found this to be an effective build.

LRM 20 w/art
4x SSRM 2s w/ Beagle
2x ML
1x Tag
73 KPH w/out speed tweak (XL of course)

Provides solid close fire support and with 4x streaks and 2x ML - lights stay away. So its an excellent mech to put with your missile boats to provide additional LRM damage but also protect your LRM boats from lights.

#19 FrozenAnt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Bah, shame on me I'm so used to piloting Cent's that I try to turn everything into a mid-close range brawler. I guess the agreement here is that the Golden boy is a LRM boat, now the only questions left is

LRM-5 LRM-10's or LRM-15's?

How many LRMS in a volley are most effective?, Which size is best to take advantage of grouping? how much armor should it have?

I think you guys are getting pretty close to a very very solid and maybe even competitive (with eventual tonnage limits) mech. I look forward to trying these builds out when I get a chance to play!

#20 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:04 AM

The Kintaro looks good on paper (Golden Boy included), but I think it will be terrible, especially just because of that massive center Torso. I want to love the GB, I really do, but it's just crap B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users