Coming To Beg For An Artist.

22 replies to this topic

#1 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Hello! I have a 'mech card game that has been in alpha for over two years now. It's finally approaching Kickstarter-ready. Everyone who's played it loves the mechanics and the gameplay style (a 1v1 fight takes less than 15 minutes). All the professional game producers and designers who have seen it agree that it has tight mechanics, but it's a little "deeper" than the industry wants to go right now (while gameplay is fast, you need to know what you're doing - the game is pretty complex, and there's absolutely nothing else like it).

But, I'm a mediocre artist at best, and I'm on food stamps.

What I need is someone who's willing to go all-in, and collaborate with me on this project. I really think it's kickstart-worthy, and I'm willing to share a 50/50 ownership in this game with a good artist.

I've put over 2 years into the design and mechanics of this game, and it shows; while I don't expect that level of commitment from whoever joins me, I do want a comparative level of art quality.

If you've ever thought "hey, my mecha art should be on a card game!", but you just didn't have the chance to sit down and design that game, here's your chance: I've got a game ready to go, with two and a half years of playtesting and design, that has everything you've come to expect from something like Mechwarrior.

Here's some of the art, as it stands now:
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 03 August 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#2 SirDubDub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 09:37 AM

mwomercs' PM system just went down. Do you have any other means of contacting you privately?

Edited by SirDubDub, 03 August 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#3 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostSirDubDub, on 03 August 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

mwomercs' PM system just went down. Do you have any other means of contacting you privately?

brent<dot>j<dot>dill<at>gmail<dot>com works. I believe I just found your email as well, so I will go ahead and email you.

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 03 August 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

View PostSirDubDub, on 03 August 2013 - 09:37 AM, said:

does this mean all his pilots will be emo?

Also, on a side note, while IDK if I can go "all in" I would be happy to attempt to collaborate, or even work with SirDubDub on some concepts at least. But I think his dynamic art style is the best type for CCGs, more important than technical wankery. I would highly recommend Dub and Sommer Strauss for finish work on it. I just do line art and concept stuff, ATM.

#5 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Also, on a side note, while IDK if I can go &quot;all in&quot; I would be happy to attempt to collaborate, or even work with SirDubDub on some concepts at least. But I think his dynamic art style is the best type for CCGs, more important than technical wankery. I would highly recommend Dub and Sommer Strauss for finish work on it. I just do line art and concept stuff, ATM.

To be honest, I could probably use multiple art styles if people are willing to share the load. What would be ideal would be something dynamic like SirDubDub for all the Maneuver cards, something really clean and technical for the weapon and chassis card fronts, and something dynamic again for the chassis card backs.

Since the pilot, weapon and chassis cards never get shuffled, they don't need a boring "one-size-fits-all" card back - which means the front of each chassis card can have a clean technical drawing, while the back can have a sweet full-bleed "hero pose" of that chassis (and the pilots can have a sweet "in-the-cockpit" shot).

I think SirDubDub's art style would be amazing for the Chassis and Pilot hero-poses and the face-up Maneuver art, while a cleaner 'technical' style would be great for the Weapon and Chassis face-up art.

The trick is that I seriously want to Kickstart this, and until I do I won't be able to pay anybody - but I am all about paying people for their work. So whoever gets on board, we need to work out something where either the rights revert back to them if I fail to Kickstart, or they get paid a percentage of the Kickstarter profits based on some mutually-agreed-upon ratio.

But that's all business, and not card-based mecha combat; and I came here to talk about card-based mecha combat.

I hope the cards give a good feel for how the game plays? Do you have a reasonably intuitive idea of what you'd be doing with this game?

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 03 August 2013 - 01:39 PM.

#6 SirDubDub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 August 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

Posted Image

#7 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 03 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

^
**** yea
been a while since that's been used , anyways Season 2 has some boss animation

Edited by kesuga7, 03 August 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#8 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:05 PM

SirDubDub: I see that you tried to PM me again, but I get a database error whenever I try to read it. Is there any way you can email me instead?

#9 SirDubDub

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

I derped and forgot the "j" in the email that I sent a few hours ago.. I think I fixed it now.

#10 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:42 AM

Here's a couple of my pieces,

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one is obviously not Battletech related, but i kinda like this piece.

Posted Image

you can also check out my work at:

http://giorgioespinos.deviantart.com/

I am really interested, and if you like my style, I would love to work with you.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 12:48 PM

OH... man SirDubDub AND Sommer Strauss?

IT'S ON NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#12 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostSommer Strauss, on 04 August 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Here's a couple of my pieces,

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one is obviously not Battletech related, but i kinda like this piece.

Posted Image

you can also check out my work at:

http://giorgioespinos.deviantart.com/

I am really interested, and if you like my style, I would love to work with you.

Wow, yeah. You and SirDubDub would both be AMAZING. Your style is much better suited to all the "technical" art on the weapon and chassis card fronts; I think SirDubDub's will look much better as the full-bleed "action" art on the backs.

I've already got SirDubDub fully on board - apparently I impressed him with how in-depth my business and marketing plan was, or some *** like that - and my primary playtester is likely going to be stepping up in a content-management role; at this point I think it would be most fair, if you're interested, for all four of us to sit down and have a serious, realistic discussion about workload, responsibility, and reimbursement/ownership. I'd prefer a Google Hangout if possible.

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 04 August 2013 - 01:43 PM.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

View PostSommer Strauss, on 04 August 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

Dayum. Who knew J-Lo was a SITH?!?!?!?!? :P

#14 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Actually I tried to channel Megan Fox, teeheee.

Oh and Laldaboath, just let me know when, I'm available anytime except Tuesdays and Thursdays. I better check out google hangout now then, XD.

#15 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

Sweet; go ahead and send me an email - brent.j.dill<at>gmail<dot>com, I'll try and get everything rounded up. (Also, don't bother to PM me, PM's are all horribly broken right now.)

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 04 August 2013 - 03:45 PM.

#16 Soku Yamashita

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

View PostIaldabaoth, on 04 August 2013 - 03:34 PM, said:

Sweet; go ahead and send me an email - brent.j.dill<at>gmail<dot>com, I'll try and get everything rounded up. (Also, don't bother to PM me, PM's are all horribly broken right now.)

yeah was just trying to pm you now on how to contact me, lol, will email you instead.

Edited by Sommer Strauss, 04 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

#17 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Man, this will be so sweet.

So, anyone wanna hear about how my game works?

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

yup.

#19 Ialdabaoth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

Cool. :)

So, this is a Pilot card:
Posted Image

You can see from the stats, that this Pilot is mediocre with energy weapons, average with Ballistic weapons, mediocre with Missile weapons, and insanely good with Physical weapons, as well as being good at dodging and reasonable at tactics. We'll get to what all this means a little later.

This is a Chassis card:
Posted Image

This Chassis has two mount spaces (sort of a combination of "critical space" and "mass") on its torso, and four on each arm. It also has 5 armor on its torso, 3 armor on each arm, and 4 on its legs. It also has a Maneuver of 3 - this is how "fast" the 'mech is; robots with more Maneuver rating can do more things per turn.

This is a Weapon card:
Posted Image

You can see that this is an Energy weapon, that it can hit at Short and Long range, that it does 3 damage (although its special ability says it will deal 5 damage at Short range), and that it takes up 4 Arm mount spaces if mounted on an arm, or 4 Torso mount spaces if mounted on a torso.

This is also a Weapon card:
Posted Image

You can see that it's a Physical weapon, that it can only hit at Contact range, that it does 3 damage (all of which must be assigned to one location, according to its special ability), and that it takes up 3 Arm mount spaces if mounted on an arm. Note that the bottom of the card doesn't have any Torso spaces - this means it can't be mounted on your Torso at all.

So, before you start a game, each player picks their pilot, chassis, and weapon cards - think of this as just like MWO's Mech Bay screen.

Then, they each pick out 18 Maneuver cards and shuffle them into a Maneuver deck.

This is a Maneuver card:
Posted Image

You can have up to 3 copies of any one Maneuver card in your Maneuver deck, and your deck has to be at least 18 cards.

Play starts at Long range. Each player draws a number of Maneuver cards equal to their pilot's Maneuver rating, then they decide who goes first.

That player can play any Move (green) or Strike (red) Maneuver card from their hand. If they don't have any that they want to play, they can instead play any maneuver card face-down, and declare that it's a Basic Strike or Basic Move.

If you play a Move, you get to either advance one range step (Long -> Short or Short -> Contact), or retreat one range step (Contact -> Short or Short -> Long). You also get to do whatever is on the card, if you played it face-up. It's generally way better to play face-up Moves, because they give you sweet abilities, like:

Flank - you get behind your opponent, so all your weapons deal double damage at Contact range for the rest of the round.
Evade - you get +1 to dodge for the rest of the round
Sprint - you get to make TWO advances/retreats, instead of one.
Reload - you get to ready ("turn back to up-and-down") some of your used ballistic weapons.

If you play a Strike, you get to use ("turn sideways") any weapons that are ready ("not turned sideways") and shoot them at your opponent. If your robot has lots of Maneuver but few weapons, you'll want to fire a few at a time, to maximize the number of times you get to shoot. If your robot has lots of weapons but low Maneuver, you'll want to alpha-strike a lot of your weapons at once, to conserve your remaining Maneuvers for things like dodging. Each Strike card has cool things it can do, like:

Aim - you get to pick where the damage goes
Critical Hit - you blow off a weapon when you deal damage
Suppressing Fire - your strike is harder to dodge
Sensor Hit - your opponent will suffer a penalty to shoot back for the rest of the round.

Your opponent can then play a Response maneuver to respond to your Move or Strike. If he does, you can play a Response to respond to his response, and back-and-forth until someone declines to play a Response. Responses all do cool things like:

Counterattack - shoot back
Dodge - subtract your Piloting skill from your attacker's Weapon skills
Break Away - advance or retreat immediately
Defensive Roll - halve all damage

You can only play a single Response to each of your opponent's Maneuvers, and your Response has to be appropriate to their Maneuver. (You can't Dodge and Defensive Roll at the same time, for example).

Whenever you play any Maneuver, you immediately draw another one from your Maneuver deck. You ALWAYS have a number of cards in your hand equal to your pilot's Maneuver skill.

You can only play a maximum number of Maneuvers per round equal to your robot's Maneuver rating (written on the bottom of the card, under its Leg armor). Once you've played that many Maneuvers, you CANNOT play any more until next round.

Once everyone is finished playing Responses, you resolve the action. If it was a Strike, you look at each weapon and see if your Weapon Skill for that weapon is greater than zero, and if you are still at a Range that is appropriate for that weapon. If both of these are true, then your weapon deals damage. Unless some card says otherwise (like Aim or the Axe), the target always gets to pick where damage goes, and can spread it around.

If your Arm armor drops to zero, you lose all weapons in that arm.

If your Leg armor drops to zero, you can only play one Maneuver per round.

If your Torso armor drops to zero, you lost the fight.

Once the action is resolved, the next player gets to play an action, unless his robot has played its maximum number of Maneuvers (in which case he passes back to you and you play the next action). Once you BOTH have played your maximum number of Maneuvers, you both place all those Maneuvers face-down on the bottom of your Maneuver decks, turn all weapons back right-side up, and the player who didn't play the last action starts the next round.

Clear so far?

Edited by Ialdabaoth, 05 August 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

so far so good. Kinda makes me think (in a very crude comparo, not actual mechanics) of a combination of say, the LOTR CCG and a game like MWDA were you had semi-customizable pieces. Only little more in depth.

Sounds interesting so far. Likem ost CCG will only fully "get" it by playing, but so far sounds cool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users