Vga Dead. Does The Game Need Reinstallation?

16 replies to this topic

#1 BafGandalf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Hi All,

My Ati HD 4870 just died today, in combat, and ,for now, i have only a spare ATI 4200 to make the computer work.

I tried logging in and it the results were awful (which was somewhat expected, but not so drastically waited for).

Does the game needs reinstalling (to discard performance issues) or is it just the previous VGA model hardcoded anywhere on the folder/files ?

Anyone has experienced a situation similar to this?

Any hints?

Regards,

#2 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

Could try reinstalling the graphics driver, but I'd expect a 42xx gpu to perform terrible.

just get a new gpu asap.

reinstalling the game is def. not required, could try deleting the shaders folder, it's in the game folder under USER. It'll be recreated on next start.

#3 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:46 PM

You're gonna need a new GPU.

Depending on your price range we can recommend something if you'd like.

#4 POOTYTANGASAUR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 595 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

The AMD Radeon 7750HD can run MWO on ultra (assuming you have at least an i3 CPU) (i have an i5-2320 and run on ultra 30-45 fps @1080p): http://www.amazon.co...=hd+radeon+7750
There are cheaper versions but the GDDR5 is really fast memory. DO NOT GO FOR A DDR3 VERSION! They sually have more memory but the extra memory is useless. This card requires no external connections and i run mine off of a 330W nameless psu 80+ bronze. I previously stated i have an i5-2320, (AMD XFX 7750HD), 1 TB WD caviar black, 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz, and a 80Gb intel ssd for a boot drive. I have not had an issue yet with power so you PSU should handle it (i am assuming that you have an old ****** pc sorry). Also even with your most likely dated CPU you should be able to run MWO on medium graphics at 30fps. YW

#5 BafGandalf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 05:18 AM

Hi,

Thanks for your posts.

Yeah, my computer is old, it has a AMD II X4 630 CPU, 4 GB Ram, PS: Cooler master 650gX on a MSI MoBo.

Here, VGA's are a little bit expensive, so i can try go for a spare GPU (cheaper one) in the meantime.

Thanks Guys!

EDIT: I was thinking on, for the moment, getting one of this:
ECS GTX 550 Ti (NGTX550TI-1GPLI-F) ..

(Specs:
1 GB GDDR5 (192 bit)

PCI Express 2.0 x16
  • Core: 900 MHz
  • Shaders: 1800 MHz
  • Memories: 1025 MHz
Core: GF 116 (NVIDIA Fermi)

3DMark stimations:
  • 3DMark 06: 14743
  • 3DMark Vantage: 10373
  • 3DMark 11: 2580)
Would it make the game laggy? (besides connection , off course)

Edited by BafGandalf, 30 July 2013 - 07:06 AM.

#6 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

View PostBafGandalf, on 30 July 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Here, VGA's are a little bit expensive, so i can try go for a spare GPU (cheaper one) in the meantime.

GPU = VGA/HDMI/DVI [redacted]

If you can get a video card like a mid-range AMD/ATI or Nvidia, you'll be okay. one that has both an HDMI and VGA port.

seriously, doesn't anybody research before they build/upgrade their computer anymore?

Edited by miSs, 31 July 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#7 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 30 July 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

If you can get a video card like a mid-range AMD/ATI or Nvidia, you'll be okay. one that has both an HDMI and VGA port.

seriously, doesn't anybody research before they build/upgrade their computer anymore?

wow...that's awful hostile...maybe your mom didnt hug you enough?

edit: didnt want to put the censor dodging language in the quote

Edited by Dr B00t, 30 July 2013 - 06:48 PM.

#8 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:19 PM

It's okay, OP, Gremlich is just being a meanie pants.

View PostBafGandalf, on 30 July 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Hi,

Thanks for your posts.

Yeah, my computer is old, it has a AMD II X4 630 CPU, 4 GB Ram, PS: Cooler master 650gX on a MSI MoBo.

EDIT: I was thinking on, for the moment, getting one of this:
ECS GTX 550 Ti (NGTX550TI-1GPLI-F)

Your computer is old, but in general, if you can put together the cash, there is room to upgrade the machine in general to at least be decent. I would shoot for a new GPU and trying to upgrade that Athlon II to a cheap Phenom II X4, a 955 or 965. With any luck, about $200-$300 worth of hardware (US prices) would have you in pretty good shape for gaming for awhile, and that's pretty cheap for gaming hardware.

The 550ti is a bad way to go; it's slower than the Radeon HD 5770/6770 for more money. You noted expensive hardware, so I'm guessing you're not in the US. It would help us to make recommendations if you could tell us where you live and give a budget. I could cite Amazon.com prices all day long on $400 video cards but if you live in Iceland and have a budget of $117, that isn't going to do you much good. In general, though, it sounds like your in the price range for something like a Radeon HD 7750 or Geforce GTX 650 (non-TI). How are those priced compared to your budget?

#9 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:44 AM

Wait... is it just the VGA out that's bad on your card? If so you can pick up a DVI or HDMI to VGA converter for less than $20 in most places.

#10 BafGandalf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 31 July 2013 - 02:44 AM, said:

Wait... is it just the VGA out that's bad on your card? If so you can pick up a DVI or HDMI to VGA converter for less than $20 in most places.

Hi
Narcissistic Martyr ,

Its not the connector itself, but the whole PCB smells burned ;). I haven't had the time as to open the card itself, however i felt how the GPU fan was fainting, i thought it was a MWO effect, well, it wasnt :'( .

My friends just told me perhaps somebody shot me too hard with both PPC and EMP, so i think that MAY be the reason. #LOL

#11 BafGandalf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:04 AM

View PostCatamount, on 30 July 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

It's okay, OP, Gremlich is just being a meanie pants.

Your computer is old, but in general, if you can put together the cash, there is room to upgrade the machine in general to at least be decent. I would shoot for a new GPU and trying to upgrade that Athlon II to a cheap Phenom II X4, a 955 or 965. With any luck, about $200-$300 worth of hardware (US prices) would have you in pretty good shape for gaming for awhile, and that's pretty cheap for gaming hardware.

The 550ti is a bad way to go; it's slower than the Radeon HD 5770/6770 for more money. You noted expensive hardware, so I'm guessing you're not in the US. It would help us to make recommendations if you could tell us where you live and give a budget. I could cite Amazon.com prices all day long on $400 video cards but if you live in Iceland and have a budget of $117, that isn't going to do you much good. In general, though, it sounds like your in the price range for something like a Radeon HD 7750 or Geforce GTX 650 (non-TI). How are those priced compared to your budget?

Thanks for your reply sir.

I would try to gather "more minerals" and get a Phenom "upgrade" first and then get a decent video card. (FYI: that ECS 550 Ti is sold here in Chile for about $160 US dollars)

As a comparison, i was looking on this one:XFX HD 7750 (Memory: 1 GB GDDR5 (128 bit) Frecuency: 800 MHz core / 800 MHz shaders / 1125 MHz mems) which price is about $140 US Dls.

Also , i was looking at this one: GTX 650 - Memory: 1 GB GDDR5 (128 bit) Frecuencies: 1071 MHz core / 1071 MHz shaders / 1250 MHz mems which price is near $150 US Dls

Which one would you go for, if you were on that price range?

Thanks and regards!

Edited by BafGandalf, 31 July 2013 - 08:05 AM.

#12 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

I would get the HD 7750. The 7750 and 650 have about the same performance, but the 7750 is a few bucks cheaper and it has a lower TDP so it'll be easier on your power supply and ventilation.

I'd get that first, then look at getting the Phenom II X4.

#13 StainlessSR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 443 posts
  • LocationSunShine State

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

I would also recommend the 7750, as it is a modern card with comparable performance to your old one. It also does not require any additional PSU connections. However, while this is a good card for a cheap (US purchase) price, I would like to also point out that this card should be considered an entry level gaming card. If you are able to spend a little more for a better card now (since you have to replace it anyway), it will allow the new card to still be relevant when you upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/memory later. If the price you quoted is what you can afford then it is a good card that you can afford (been there myself). Your Athlon II x 4 is still an ok CPU but I would start saving to perform an upgrade in a year or so.

Edited by StainlessSR, 31 July 2013 - 03:50 PM.

#14 BafGandalf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

View PostCatamount, on 31 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

I would get the HD 7750. The 7750 and 650 have about the same performance, but the 7750 is a few bucks cheaper and it has a lower TDP so it'll be easier on your power supply and ventilation.

I'd get that first, then look at getting the Phenom II X4.

View PostStainlessSR, on 31 July 2013 - 03:49 PM, said:

I would also recommend the 7750, as it is a modern card with comparable performance to your old one. It also does not require any additional PSU connections. However, while this is a good card for a cheap (US purchase) price, I would like to also point out that this card should be considered an entry level gaming card. If you are able to spend a little more for a better card now (since you have to replace it anyway), it will allow the new card to still be relevant when you upgrade the CPU/Motherboard/memory later. If the price you quoted is what you can afford then it is a good card that you can afford (been there myself). Your Athlon II x 4 is still an ok CPU but I would start saving to perform an upgrade in a year or so.

Thanks for all of your recommendations and wise advices.

Will try that.

Regards,

#15 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostBafGandalf, on 31 July 2013 - 05:55 PM, said:

Thanks for all of your recommendations and wise advices.

Will try that.

Regards,

You may also want to consider looking on your national ebay equivalent for a deal on a GTX 560Ti or similar as well. In many countries you can get a lot more bang for your buck this way.

#16 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 02 August 2013 - 06:11 AM

It is true the used market has gotten pretty good again, despite being savaged last Christmas. Used Radeon HD 6870s, GTX 560TIs, and 5870s (in order of slowest to fastest), can all be had for around $100 in the US. It's just a matter of whether you want to deal with the increased power consumption and heat output of an older card. A 5870 would be twice as fast as a 7750, for around the same price, but it's also going to consume/emit up to 188W (1GB model) instead of 55W.

#17 BafGandalf

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

I guess my best option now is a
ASUS HD 7770 GHz Edition (HD7770-1GD5)

See you online soon MechWarriors :)

Edited by BafGandalf, 07 August 2013 - 07:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users