Virtuix Omni - The Ultimate Mwo Control System?

9 replies to this topic

#1 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:09 AM

Control your mech with your body!
Torso twist controls torso twist!
Walk to move!

http://www.kickstart...r-favorite-game

If / when MWO implements head tracking etc, this could be a pretty awesome experience.

Imagine this with two guns - one in each hand plus independent arm aiming (ie two circle reticules) and independent head movement.

Drool.

I had an idea for something similar years ago, but this seems to solve the problem quite neatly.
However, I think rows of rotating balls instead of needing custom shoes or shoe covers would be better. However, people are used to doing this for bowling alleys, so I do not see it as a huge issue.

Simulating normal movement and positioning is the last major hurdle to the "Holodeck experience" - once this nut is cracked, I see little stopping the rise of VR games as a mass-market entertainment medium. I am not sure it is ready for the consumer market, I think it would be better placed in arcades / bars etc for the moment - the cost of all the kit is just way too high.

If VR gaming does start to take off, I think a game such as MWO has a good chance of being very popular.
It's slower paced than most FPS games, fights last longer with visible, spectator friendly indicators of state (bits blown off etc), plus the obvious allure of big stompy robots.
If you put a couple of pods in a bar, after a couple of drinks, I think the prospect of slugging it out with a mate in a 100 ton robot would be quite appealing to your average punter if all he had to do was move his body like normal and aim a gun.

#2 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:39 AM

one of my friends in my unit (Sea Wolves) got one of those and when he gets it then he is going to use it for all kinds of stuff..

#3 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Interesting device! I can see using it for a FPS like CoD where you are running around on the ground... for driving a mech, where you are a pilot sitting in a cockpit, I'd rather have something more like a cockpit.

#4 DOTSGEMINI

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

That looks so cool, especially when paired with occulus rift

#5 Loc Nar

• 1,132 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

I can see using it for a FPS like CoD where you are running around on the ground... for driving a mech, where you are a pilot sitting in a cockpit, I'd rather have something more like a cockpit.

^this.

I'm looking forward to Rift and TrackIR support, both of which will add immensely to all Mechwarrior's experience that partake. While the Omni would be neat and all for FPS games where your character is a bipedal humanoid on foot (or even controlling a mech designed around inputs ala Pacific Rim...), I would not trade that control setup for the zenith/azimuth joystick I made for MWO, unless it was to sell so I could build an even better zenith/azimuth stick and cockpit to put it in.

Ultimate FPS game controller? Well, maybe. Ultimate MWO controller? Not by a long shot, at least not for me. In any sim, I strive for my controls to be as native as possible to the cockpit of what I am piloting, and straying from that kills the immersion. My desire to use something like the Omni to drive a mech is right up there with my desire to use it to fly an F-16 or play MS Train Simulator...

It's neat, and I look forward to seeing games that it is suited for and maybe playing around with one someday, but 'ultimate controller' for MWO is something that looks, feels, and works very differently in my book.

Edited by Loc Nar, 09 August 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#6 INSEkT L0GIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:12 PM

This will be great if we ever get Solaris Dance Battle mode.

#7 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:21 AM

I am as **** as anyone about my controls being just-so, but come on, who doesn't dream of full 1:1 proportional controls in a game like MWO? Where you *are* the mech. Walk around, aim in two different places - look down one arm - BLAM, turn your head and sight down the other arm pointing the other way - BLAM, see a tiny man walking below you - pick up a foot and squish him.
You know you would love it. Anyone who saw Ripley strap into the loader in Aliens as a kid couldn't deny it.

#8 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 10 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostevilC, on 10 August 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

I am as **** as anyone about my controls being just-so, but come on, who doesn't dream of full 1:1 proportional controls in a game like MWO? Where you *are* the mech. Walk around, aim in two different places - look down one arm - BLAM, turn your head and sight down the other arm pointing the other way - BLAM, see a tiny man walking below you - pick up a foot and squish him.
You know you would love it. Anyone who saw Ripley strap into the loader in Aliens as a kid couldn't deny it.

In a game like MWO? Sure. One where you drive Ripley's loader and slap alien's around, for one, would be fun. But MWO itself (as currently provided), where you are a pilot seated in a cockpit? Nope. Now, if they added Elementals later... that could be cool. :)

#9 NQ strooka_ace ZOD

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 24 posts
  • Locationgermany, bielefeld

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:13 PM

Become fat when you play MWO 24/7, I bought one and would be happy if it worked out with MWO... and loose pounds.

#10 Napoleon_Blownapart

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:47 AM

add 2 sledge hammers to break your legs when you fall, for realism)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users