Fix Analog Throttle + Battle Grid = Mech Halt

14 replies to this topic

#1 Kragg Relluf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

When using an analog throttle (i.e. having analog throttle mapped in MWO's options page), if you open the Battlegrid, score board, or text chat while moving, your mech instantly stops and remains stopped until whatever you had opened is closed. This makes doing things like looking at the battlegrid while under threat of enemy fire very difficult and/or dangerous to do. Even when you're in a safe position, it's still very annoying and detrimental if you're trying to cover ground while planning your movements.

Another example is the many times I've been unable to report important info to teammates via chat because stopping may have killed me.

I was told by support that this is working as intended. I doubt it was intended to work this way - more likely it just wasn't thought about and this is an unexpected side effect. I'm hereby requesting that this behaviour be changed so that opening the above items while using analog throttle does not halt the mech.

Analog turn also has a problem in that the mech won't turn when opening the various views, but I consider this a much smaller problem. That said, fixing one should make fixing the other easy.

This is what support told me:
==============================
Reppu (MechWarrior® Online™)
Aug 08 14:12 (PDT)
I did some double-checking and I've confirmed that this is working as intended.
Your throttle will stay to where you set it when you open the battle-grid, chat, etc, however as you're using an Analog throttle the situation is different.
In short, opening one of these displays opens up keystrokes for other functions, such as for the chat, it allows you to chat. This disables Mech control key-strokes. You can reproduce the exact same behaviour if you use keyboard + mouse controls with Throttle decay turned on.

===============================
It seems to me that analog input should not be treated like keyboard input because one doesn't use analog inputs to type chat messages or manipulate the battlegrid. Instead, they should behave like setting the mech throttle via the keyboard with throttle decay off. The mech doesn't have to respond to the throttle when the battlegrid or whatever gets opened - it just needs to maintain the last known throttle setting.

If you have this same problem, please support this thread!

I'd also like to add that the above is the second time I've written support on this issue. The first time I was told that it was a "known issue" and that there was no date for fixing it, or something along those lines. I guess it changed state between then and now.

Anyway, thanks in advance for fixing this!

Edited by Kragg Relluf, 08 August 2013 - 02:37 PM.

#2 lpmagic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • 319 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

agreed, this is an issue, please take a look at this one more time, I would love to see this fixed, it is an irritant and is not normal seeming at all. Thanks for your help!
Magic

I would love this to work!

#3 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:41 AM

its not working as intended, joystick support is an afterthought.you can try starting a match throttling up with the + key and you can chat without stopping till you touch the throttle.

#4 Szegedin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:18 AM

This was mentioned in Ask the Devs #40, - they said they were working on a solution - and I can only hope that's true. I just started the game a few days ago and have pared down my control scheme to a CH Throttle and mouse after first trying HOTAS and Pedals.

I love using the throttle and wouldn't give it up just because of this issue. But its a huge problem, especially for lights who might want to pull enemies to friendly sectors or call out grouped contacts. It is suicide to open chat after making contact, and by the time you make it to a safe spot your intel is warmed over.

Ideally if using analog turn and throttle controls you should be able to both move and turn while having the battle grid and chat interfaces open.

Edited by Szegedin, 10 August 2013 - 09:23 AM.

#5 Kragg Relluf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

All good points everyone. Thanks for making them. I hope this gets fixed some day.

#6 grimjack68

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC, Canada

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Damn, I searched for this hoping to find a solution, instead I find this. :) Hopefully this gets dealt with.

#7 FusionKnight

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:25 PM

Mech controls going dead makes sense in the event of opening a chat box - the keys are remapped. But why can't I continue to control my mech while having the score screen or the battlegrid up? As far as I know there's no typing to be done on either screen... this is a very annoying "bug".

Edited by FusionKnight, 31 October 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#8 Throtter

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

This Issue is really painfull.
This is meant to be a tactical game. I have to move ad keep an eye on my teammates. Especially when pleying light and mediums going for Scout or cap, this is really bad.
I hope this will be fixed as soon as possible.

#9 Throtter

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:00 AM

I got Feedback from Support, they have it on their list and will include a fix (hopefully) soon.

#10 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:07 AM

YES! finally, this has been a horrible bug, to inform team in chat I've had to time my comms so that I can actually allow my mech to stop to type. It is especially frustrating in a light... I could easily type info and still drive mech with my throttle and rocker but no.

#11 Blue Footed Booby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationHere?

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

View PostHaakon Magnusson, on 27 February 2014 - 05:07 AM, said:

YES! finally, this has been a horrible bug, to inform team in chat I've had to time my comms so that I can actually allow my mech to stop to type. It is especially frustrating in a light... I could easily type info and still drive mech with my throttle and rocker but no.

Does disabling throttle decay not fix this?

#12 Haakon Magnusson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 636 posts
  • LocationI have no idea, they keep resetting CW map

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:11 AM

View PostBlue Footed Booby, on 27 February 2014 - 11:55 AM, said:

Does disabling throttle decay not fix this?

In my optimism I didn't realize that the fix posts were really old :lol:
Remember toying around with it earlier and it had no effect. Haven't tried since ui2 tho, but I doubt this is still there. Guess I'll pop in with the medium madness and all..

#13 Philadelphia Collins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 114 posts
  • LocationCookin some dirty burgers

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:23 PM

I do not use a controller or joystic this happens to me all the time using a keyboard to control throttle. Only started happening recently and is quite irritating. I do not use throttle decay and I don't want too. I used to be able to chat, open battlegrid, press tab to check which mechs are still alive without my mech stopping and I would like to be able to do that again. Interesting that I have only recently started having this issue (within last few weeks) when others seem to have been having it for some time working as intended indeed... Please fix this it is only annoying for now left alone it could be a reason you lose players.

edit: also started happening at the same time my mech throttles all the way up at the start of every match without me telling it to and some mechs do not save firing groups properly.

Edited by Philadelphia Collins, 10 July 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#14 Will3019

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

I had this problem when I played a year and a half ago, took a long break, I can't believe the map/chat/scoreboard/throttle is still an issue in a game that supposedly depends upon situational awareness and communication.

Between this not getting fixed and breaking joystick deadzones, analog control is way worse than it was back then... How does a game move backwards?

Reading through this, it was supposedly getting fixed over a year ago.

Then it was supposedly getting fixed over six months ago.

What is the current status?

Edited by Will3019, 27 December 2014 - 08:29 AM.

#15 Strelok7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Still an issue!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users