- - - - -

Torn On First Mech

22 replies to this topic

#1 Sojo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:05 PM

Hate to start a new topic as I've lurked through many threads and there is some definite good info out there. But I'm torn on which mech would suit myself and thought I'd see if anyone could post some differences between the couple I'm torn on grabbing.

I've decided on Heavy or Medium, I'll also probably buy the Sarah's Jenner as well (in the next week or so) since Jenners seem to be a great mech and it's a great cause to boot.

I'm looking for something that would not be pigeonholded into one type of playstyle and that I could test different loadouts through the 3 mechs that I would need to work up to elite mech trees. I would like the middle of the road as much as possible. I like mid-ranged (not so big on sniping), hit and run is fine but I lean more towards dueling it seems so I would like to be able to take a few hits if in trouble rather than running and regrouping. I don't care if it's a tough mech to learn on, I plan on doing 3 variants and I should get the hang of whatever after some pilot time. Actually think I'll enjoy the challenge of learning on something rough lol. Without having the best of all worlds, I guess I'm looking for a Medium on the tougher side or a quicker Heavy I suppose.

Weapons: Not a fan of Machine guns so far, but I've only tested the one on the trial Cicada. Might enjoy one that packs a bigger punch (before I started playing I was very interested in AC's, still not sure). SRM over LRM, seem to do pretty decent with them and I really don't want to sit back and be a LR Missle slinger from the back. Enjoyed all the lasers on the Victor and Raven. And I seem to aim pretty well with the PPC. So really just looking for a medium range loadout for the most part it seems, no matter what type of weapons system.

The mechs I've narrowed it down to are:
1. CPLT-K2. I'm worried that I would enjoy this one but the variants of the others seem to be mostly missle loadouts. Love the look of it but not sure if it has alot of room for different types of loadouts.
2. CTF-2X. If I go heavy I think this might be the one. Any pilots have any suggestions or details about this one?
3. HBK-4SP. Seems to be very versitile. Just going off recommendations from other threads.
4. CN9-A. Not sure the downsides of this one. Seems like it has the best of all worlds.
5. And I was considering a Treb. The 7M is a bit expensive to start off with, but it does have a XL engine, JJ and DHS with it so might be worth it. Just not sure if it has a lot of useful loadouts as a medium ranged fighter.

Any help is very appreciated. Sorry for the long post just crazy torn on which way to spend all my cadet money on!

Edited by Sojo, 08 August 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#2 Genewen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostSojo, on 08 August 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

The mechs I've narrowed it down to are:
1. CPLT-K2. I'm worried that I would enjoy this one but the variants of the others seem to be mostly missle loadouts. Love the look of it but not sure if it has alot of room for different types of loadouts.
2. CTF-2X. If I go heavy I think this might be the one. Any pilots have any suggestions or details about this one?
3. HBK-4SP. Seems to be very versitile. Just going off recommendations from other threads.
4. CN9-A. Not sure the downsides of this one. Seems like it has the best of all worlds.
5. And I was considering a Treb. The 7M is a bit expensive to start off with, but it does have a XL engine, JJ and DHS with it so might be worth it. Just not sure if it has a lot of useful loadouts as a medium ranged fighter.

1) The Cattlepult K2 is a mighty fine mech, but you are correct about the other variants are pretty much missile boats. Well, the C1 has 4 energy hardpoints, so at least that one can also be at least a decent hybrid between energy and missile weapons. But the rest, yes, they are either missile only (A1) or only two energy hardpoints in the center torso (which means two med. lasers or one large laser max.) and missiles (C4). I'd still say it's worth it, because I have a lot of fun with the K2 and with the double XP bonus for the first match of the day on a mech, leveling chassis you don't like and will sell later is not as bad as before.
2) Very solid mech, and has two other, similar, good variants. I've not taken a look at a Phract since the heat update, so I'll keep quiet concerning their builds right now.
3) The 4SP is a good medium mech to start out in. Has the advantage that it does not eat up all of your cadet bonus. You can keep the stock weaponry, buy a STD 250-260 engine and upgrade to Endo-structure and Double Heatsinks. Will amount to a bit over 7 million and you're good to go. The cadet bonus used together with your free day of premium time you should have received when downloading the game for the first time will give you somewhere around 10-11 million C-Bills when all your cadet matches are played during that premium day. So you'd have about 3-4 million left and be able to purchase your next mech sooner.
4) Not running Centurions, so not saying anything about them.
5) See 5)

#3 Sojo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:07 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I noticed you mention the premium account for a day but maybe because I made an account for MWO a long time ago, even though I downloaded last night, that I missed out on the premium thing. I am making good C-bills through the cadet bonus though so all good.

I think I've narrowed it to the CTF-2X, CN9-A and the HBK-4SP. Anyone have any suggestions on a different Cataphract or is the 2X a solid choice? Going to stay away from the Trebs since I haven't heard much about them while browsing around and from what you said and what I've seen the Catapult seems to be missle heavy. Going to watch a few vids and check some loadouts for those two and make a decision. Appreciate the breakdown Genewen!

Edited by Sojo, 08 August 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#4 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 06:44 PM

I've leveled the Hunchbacks and I'm working on the 'phracts now. So much depends on your playstyle...

The Hunchback is a great medium. Very versatile through the different variants, from ballistics, to energy and missile weapons. It gives you a chance to basically try them all. I kept my -P and my -J variants. You can't really "brawl" on your own in one, not and stay alive, if there's enemy heavies or assaults around, they'll outlast you due to their superior armor. Don't try to pilot it like an assault, even though you have some potent weapons. Watch your heat levels. But if you play this mech as a support role, and stay with your heavies and assaults, you'll do very well with this chassis. I would find an assault or heavy, and basically stick to them, firing on whatever they fire on, and standing by to shoot at any lights that start harassing your big brother. Mediums tend to be a lower priority target to enemy units, unless you're caught out in the open or doing something stupid, like rushing forward on your own.

As far as the -phracts go, I started with the 4X, which is the slowest one, and I'm now working on the 3D, which I think is the best of the 'phract variants. My third variant will be the 2X I believe. Any of them will let you carry ballistic weapons, and I really like the autocannons myself. My 4X runs 2 UAC 5's (with 6 tons of ammo), 2 ML's and an SRM4, and my 3D runs one AC5 (4 tons of ammo) and one AC10 (4 tons of ammo), 2 ML's and 2 MPL's. The 3D is jump jet capable, which adds mobility and flexibility to the mech. You will get more "attention" (of the negative kind) from enemy units in the heavy 'phract, as you're more of a threat. Not as much as an assault Atlas or Stalker, but you will get focused on early in the brawl. I still try and stay with the largest group of friendlies, and find a good position on the main line. Watch for the "push" and be ready to either defend or attack depending on which side starts what.

With either of these chassis, dual heat sinks are a must. I wouldn't field one without them. I also think I'm running AMS systems on all of them. I run Endo Steel structure in one of my Hunchbacks, but not the other (play with the builds in smurphy's first), and I'm running ES in both my 'phracts.

The slow speed of the 4X can be a handicap, you can be left behind, you turn slower, and you can't really back out of trouble if you go around the wrong corner. If you play it conservative and stay with another assault or two, you stand a better chance. I think I will sell my 4X when I'm done, but for sure I'll keep the 3D. Will have to see about the 2X when I start with that one.

Jenners are awesome little mechs. I've elited mine already. This is one mech chassis that is "bigger" than it looks on the threat scale. On this mech, the XL300 engine, DHS's, ES structure, and FF armor are a "must" imo. That makes it a relatively expensive little mech, but you can buy just one XL300 (the Sarah Jenner comes with one!) and trade it between your chassis. Speed is your armor in a Jenner. The faster the better. That XL300 will run 152Kph with elite speed tweak unlocked. This particular mech "comes alive" with all the pilot skill unlocks. Never sit still or run slow in a Jenner, unless you're still way at the back of the map at start of game. A slow Jenner is a dead Jenner. Your speed and small size make you very hard to hit. Your armor is made out of paper mache, so you can't take much damage and live. Learn how to "JJ turn" to make fast changes in direction while you're speeding out of firing range. Hit and run tactics are the Jenner's specialty. Never brawl in a Jenner.

#5 PulseBoy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

I hope it's not too late. But the best starter mech in my opinion is the centurion cn9-a variant.

Rig an ac/5 in the gun arm
Keep the default engine
2 ac/5 ammo in one leg
2 srm ammo in other leg
srm 6 4 and 2 all in the left torso (or right idk)
put in some double heat sinks and you are good to go

The reason why I think it's so good is because its shield arm is good to learn how to defend key points by twisting your mech.

Not to mention it is a complete balance between balistics, energy weapons, and missile weapons to get a feel of everything

#6 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:09 PM

I suggest you to not buy the Cataphracts this early in game. Their good mechs but they require much more requirements, both skill and monetary, in order to be successfully used.

1) Cataphracts have huge torsos and require torsos twisting in order to survive longer.
2) Low arms give it a disadvantage when fighting at a terrain battle especially downhill.
3) Investments are needed much for the cataphracts to shine such as Double Heat Sinks and bigger engines.
4) Cost more to operate than a medium mech.

CPTL-K2 has the best of all worlds for a heavy mech. It's relatively easy to grasp and has a lot of viable build options. You can swap an XL engine and still worry less since it's side torsos are much harder to damage.

CN9-A is another great choice. The king of medium cheese builds (2xML, 3xSRM6s) it's an awesome brawler and has a rather flexible build you can do with it.

HBK-4SP. Yes. This mech is awesome for newcomers. Two hunchs giving you increased firepower survival rate and good loadout.

#7 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

Here are some of my builds:

CPTL-K2: CPLT-K2

CN9-A: CN9-A

HBK-4SP: HBK-4SP

Use this convenient tool to build your mech before buying the parts needed: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#8 ZeProme

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Also, most mechs can be differently played just by the type of loadout you use. Brawlers usually favor weapons that give good punch in close range and good mobility. Snipers usually emphasize more on using XL engines with bigger weaponry that can shoot far. Support comes in many shapes and sizes. There are indirect and direct support mechs. These mechs typically have better weaponry but aren't suitable for other tasks because of it's chassis characteristics (like gigantic side torsos) and have better mobility than other counter parts. As such, support mechs require support to stay alive and be of real benefit the longer they stay alive and contribute. Support is often times "ambigious". There is no clear distinction meaning of "support" but generally "support" basically means doing the extra work for the team, like a multiplier in a battle.

There is also hit-and-run, JJ pop tarting, and many more.

That said, not all mechs are entitled to play only certain roles. You can combine much more and be "jack-of-all" trades. However, that limits your specialization on the battlefield in which your mech don't effectively contribute in a particular part of combat area.

My point is, there is no limit to what you want to do with your mech. Only restriction to every mech is the weight limit, hard points and engine cap. In fact, you can use an XL engine for a brawler mech but ONLY if you know how to brawl with the XL engine.

Later, Koniving will contribute more and hopefully further help ease your transition into MWO. It's a fun game but challenging.

Good luck on the battlefield! Hope to see you and good hunting!

Edited by ZeProme, 08 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

#9 Krazy Kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

The current meta is "go big or go home." With that in mind I would recommend the heavies.

But the current meta changes often. I have had the most fun with mediums. The HBK-4SP and the CN9-D are loads of fun.

Just remember that to get the most out of your mech you have to level up 3 variants.

#10 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

The A1 and C4 are both good SRM options, and the C1 can play lasers (4 energy hardpoints) very well. Catapults are very flexible 'Mechs. And you might find you like LRMs later on, so having a few Cats wouldn't hurt. :(

Cataphracts are very ballistics heavy, though they have some good energy options. If you don't like ballistics, stay away from Cataphracts.

The one and only true 4SP build is 2 SRM6 and 4 or 5 Medium Lasers. I wouldn't suggest changing it, though there's no need to, because it kicks ***! (I would know, I have it mastered with 80,000 xp left over)

Centurions are resilient buggers, and a very good chassis. I enjoyed leveling the A variant with 2 ML and 3 SRM6. Only problem is you may quickly lose your arms, so many players often leave them empty, especially the ballistics arm on the A.

I can't say much about Trebuchets, though from what I've seen they are heavily leaning towards missiles and fire-support roles, which you mentioned you did not like.

#11 Sojo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

Wow, thanks for all the information guys! Been watching alot of vidds and checking loadouts and I think I am going to wait a bit for the Cataphract. Definitely agree after some research ZeProme, thanks for that. I really wanted to like the Catapult but I think I'm going to go the medium route for the first mech. After my medium learning curve I'll decide between a Cataphract and a Catapult for my next mech. I have heard the current meta is heavy Krazy Kat, but like you said you had a blast in your mediums so think I should give it a shot :(

And thanks for talking about the Jenner OldOrgandonor, going to grab the Sarah's Jenner as well, alot of great vids out there that shows they can be a great deal of fun. And I really like the idea of giving to cancer research charity so it's a no-brainer basically.

So that leaves the CN9-A and the HBK-4SP. Both seem to have good variants and equal fun factor. Thanks for the loadouts zeProme and zombie105 and the advice OldOrgandonor, I'm leaning toward the Cent now but going to research a bit more before I make a purchase. Like the idea of learning torso twisting and protecting HP's to make myself a better pilot down the road. Thanks so much for all the help guys, l of you really helped me narrow down what would be the best move for a first purchase. Seems like a great community and glad to be a part of it! Hope to see you guys out there and thanks again!

Edit: Doh posted the same time I was writing this up Capt Jester. Thanks for the breakdown. Definitely leaning toward the Catapult over the Cataphract when I grab a heavy. Thanks for the detail on the treb, kind of ruled it out so good to hear! Should have a Hunchback or Cent after a couple more games. Thanks again!

Edited by Sojo, 08 August 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#12 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostSojo, on 08 August 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

It's not as good as it used to be (mostly due to the new heatscale affecting twin AC20 builds) - Jager makes for a better ballistic boat and Stalker for a better PPC platform.

If you want a jump sniper, take a look at 3D. The rest of them are so-so.

It has been made virtually obsolete by Centurion A.

It's one of the best brawlers in game, no downsides I can think of...well, it's not as fast as a Jenner and lacks JJs.

It's side torsos are way too large to use XL engine effectively and without it it's about as good as Hunchback SP (i.e. also obsoleted by Cent A).

#13 Mirenheart

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Since you're grabbing Sarah's Jenner, then I would highly suggest getting the catapults when you go for a heavy, since the Sarah's Jenner comes with the ever expensive XL-300 engine, which works great in almost all Catapult builds.

I've been working on the Catapults recently, and actually just finished Mastering my K2. i had run several builds with it, including Party Cannon (LBX/10's) and the UltraCat, but my favorite is this odd build I put together a couple weeks ago. CPLT-K2

It works very well at all ranges, and is somewhat customizable (you can remove the AMS and its ammo, putting the tonnage back into the arms, then make the Medium Pulse lasers into four medium lasers).

#14 Sojo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Going with a Centurion IceSerpent, seems like its the better move. Playing a couple games before I decide on getting the CN9-A or the CN9-AL. Good to know about the Jenner engine Mirenderp, leans me even more towards Catapults later on!

#15 Sojo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

Went with the CN9-A.Have 3.5m C-Notes and am a bit lost, she feels slower than I thought she would. Thinking about a 275 but not sure...looking over the builds from this thread it looks like standard engine is the norm.

#16 chrx

• PipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWhite Death Mercenary Company

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

Cent A is a great choice, install STD260, 3SRM6+Artemis and 2 ML, and you'll be very strong close range brawler. Just use arms to protect your torso. You can also try autocannons, which should teach you to protect the gun arm... A vital skill if you plan on testing Yen-Lo Wang as a third Cent. Always keep the enemies on your left side.

Buy the K2 next. You'll get the STD260 with it, and you can use it also in Cent A. XL engines are better suited for Cent D and the YLW.

Edited by chrx, 08 August 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#17 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

claim premium time on the download page, select download but cancel it, you may need to turn off pop up blockers.

#18 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostZeProme, on 08 August 2013 - 07:09 PM, said:

I suggest you to not buy the Cataphracts this early in game. Their good mechs but they require much more requirements, both skill and monetary, in order to be successfully used.

1) Cataphracts have huge torsos and require torsos twisting in order to survive longer.
2) Low arms give it a disadvantage when fighting at a terrain battle especially downhill.
3) Investments are needed much for the cataphracts to shine such as Double Heat Sinks and bigger engines.
4) Cost more to operate than a medium mech.

CPTL-K2 has the best of all worlds for a heavy mech. It's relatively easy to grasp and has a lot of viable build options. You can swap an XL engine and still worry less since it's side torsos are much harder to damage.

CN9-A is another great choice. The king of medium cheese builds (2xML, 3xSRM6s) it's an awesome brawler and has a rather flexible build you can do with it.

HBK-4SP. Yes. This mech is awesome for newcomers. Two hunchs giving you increased firepower survival rate and good loadout.

What did you mean by 4) Cost more to operate than a medium mech?

To the OP there is a reason why everyone is packing a Cataphract over a Catapault K2: it's because it's better. I like the K2, and it does some things the Cataphract can't, but the 'mech that will last you longer and be more useful long term is the Cataphract. It's the go to heavy. Specifically the 3D is one of the best 'mechs in the game, although all variants are enjoyable to level up and there are many varied builds for each of them.

#19 IceSerpent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostSojo, on 08 August 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Went with the CN9-A.Have 3.5m C-Notes and am a bit lost, she feels slower than I thought she would. Thinking about a 275 but not sure...looking over the builds from this thread it looks like standard engine is the norm.

STD 275 is the way to go (98 kph with speed tweak unlocked). The most common "zombie" loadout is 2 x ML and 3 x SRM6 (3t ammo). You can go with Artemis if you want to - just shave off more armor from the arms. The builds with and without Artemis are virtually the same in terms of efficiency, so it boils down to personal preference. You get tighter missile spread at the expense of "shielding" capability.

Edited by IceSerpent, 09 August 2013 - 08:24 AM.

#20 Sojo

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yep, thats the exact loadout I was thinking about Iceerpent. I grabbed the SRM6's and put them on with 4T of ammo. Only problem I have now is the heat. Which I'm trying to pull the trigger on DHS for her now. I can do 5 STD HS and get a 1.11 efficiency compared to a 3 DHS setup with efficiency @ 1.28. I think it's needed and no way can I get away without them but man thats expensive!

EyeDie I showed me the 1 day premium thing and I've already played 20 matches so I missed alot of xp/C-Bills, thinking it might be worth making a new account just for the 1 day premium + cadet lol. Could double my money then DHS won't look so bad and will have enough to gear it out and grab another mech soon after. Hate to lose my pilot name and the time but in the long run might be worth it.

And I'm leaning on the K2 just because I liked the idea of swapping engines around but Cataphract is definitely in the running, going to be awhile before I grab either so I have some time to really think about it, thanks for warning me on the long-term Cata warner2!

Edited by Sojo, 09 August 2013 - 01:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users