Incorrect Ingame Tips Misleading To New Players

16 replies to this topic

#1 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:32 AM

Why are the loading screen tips including totally incorrect 'tips' for new players?

for example we had that one for ages saying about using the 'Report a Player Feature'

But There is no 'Report a Player feature' and never has been

Also

There is one about dont run into other mechs as it will cause damage

Also not true as Collisions havent been in the game over a year

Can the person responsible for these make sure this is tidied up please?

The New Player Experience is confusing enough without the 'tips' being misleading as well. If these features actually get implemented then put tips in but dont put them in months and months ahead of time. It's disingenuous to say the least

Edited by jozkhan, 09 August 2013 - 01:33 AM.

#2 DLFReporter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationAlpenfestung

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:52 AM

Actually you do get damage when you run into an enemy or friend. You just don't topple over any more.

Edited by DLFReporter, 09 August 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#3 New Day

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

View PostDLFReporter, on 09 August 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Actually you do get damage when you run into an enemy or friend. You just don't topple over any more.

You also get damaged by flamers, maybe they should put in a tip suggesting their use?

#4 Dracol

• The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 2,539 posts
  • LocationSW Florida

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

Why does the one about lrm's having a min range not state what that min range is?

#5 Vincian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

"No animals were harmed during the production of Mechwarrior Online."

So all employees of PGI are vegetarians?

#6 Chrithu

• Bad Company
  • 1,601 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:53 AM

The most stupid tip:

"Press P to shutdown and disapear from enemy radar" (something along those line)

This is ONLY true if NO enemy has a Beagle Active Probe (BAP) equipped and even then it is the most stupid tactic to use because booting back up takes ages and you are probably halfway dead before you even notice someone found you.

Just do NOT shut down to hide.

Edited by Jason Parker, 09 August 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#7 zraven7

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationDuluth, Georgia

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

First, the "Report Player" feature is planned, but not yet implemented. We've bugged them about this.

Second, running into other mechs, or getting ran into, most certainly causes damage. Run a Jenner a bit, you'll see.

Third, Powering Down as a stealth mechanic has it's place, and works for certain things. IT's great for shaking a pesky missile lock, for example. You just have to know when to do it, and give yourself enough time to boot back up. One of the Elite Efficiencies speeds up power off/power up time.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:55 AM

View Postjozkhan, on 09 August 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

But There is no 'Report a Player feature' and never has been

Also

Report a Player feature is a forum option next to a player's profile. It does not exist in game, but it does exist. But if you use the Subject Line "Report a Player" in an email to Support, that works just as well.

The second one, is very true. I have, in fact, severed limbs and killed mechs by running into them. In one case I was a Highlander trying to move forward under the clocktower's (the embassy building) airfield of River City. A Commando was deliberately trying to trap me in, and I refused to move backward. I stopped dead. He kept running forward. This was before the new movement code.

I could not shoot him, he was too low, and as a stock mech he wasn't much of a threat. I chose instead to shoot the distant catapult trying to use PPCs on me.

Some seconds later the Commando exploded. I got awarded 3 component destructions and the kill for the Commando pilot. In chat he said: "Wtf! You never shot me!"

In another instance, recorded here, I destroyed a Raven's leg by stepping on it. More accurately he ran into me and destroyed it himself.

Another instance, getting stuck on an Atlas deals severe damage to me.
Collisions frequently occur in this match. But at one point I got stuck to the point of rubber banding and was viciously crippled. You'll hear me screaming about trying to get the person to press X to stop so that we can break the rubber band.

I know it's in another video, but I do not know which, however as a Catapult C1 I was leaping through the air and lobbing ER PPCs. Since I kept doing this I lost track of my surroundings and a Raven 4X nearby ran into a building and started to turn. I landed on his side. I was not awarded anything, but I heard the component destruction. There wasn't an enemy within 700 meters, and no line of sight from them to where the Raven was. The Raven was a friendly, and he said I crushed his leg.

Here, I'm prepared to ram someone because it's a dozen times easier to kill someone once they are legged by ramming them.
Sadly someone steals the kill but you can hear my excitement which can't be faked.

#9 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:02 AM

View Postjozkhan, on 09 August 2013 - 01:32 AM, said:

Hahhahaa - I'm guessing you don't pilot Lights...

#10 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 07:14 AM

Another one comments that shutting down protects your 'mech from damage if you overheat, ironically.

It is a bit lazy that they aren't kept up-to-date.

View PostJason Parker, on 09 August 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

The most stupid tip:

"Press P to shutdown and disapear from enemy radar" (something along those line)

This is ONLY true if NO enemy has a Beagle Active Probe (BAP) equipped and even then it is the most stupid tactic to use because booting back up takes ages and you are probably halfway dead before you even notice someone found you.

Just do NOT shut down to hide.

I'm sure there are plenty of scenarios where you can use this to good effect!

#11 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:11 AM

The lack of any info about LRM minimum range outside of (perhaps) the mech lab bugs me. The "tool tips" mentions they have one, but doesn't say what it is, and the in-game HUD for LRM's lists their max range only, when it really should say "190m - 1,000m" or whatever it exactly is. Hence the endless new players lobbing LRM's at targets under minimum range because they have no easy way to tell what's going on.

#12 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:03 AM

As others have already stated, collisions do most certainly cause damage - just not knock-down.

Shutting down to avoid LRMs is indeed a useful tactic in certain situations. BAP only allows you to attain lock on shut down 'Mechs within like, 200m.

And shutting down when you've overheated does reduce the amount of damage you take, because you cool-off faster when you're shut down (you still take SOME damage now, but not as much).

#13 Gralzeim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 366 posts
  • LocationIllinois, USA

Posted 09 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostVincian, on 09 August 2013 - 02:52 AM, said:

"No animals were harmed during the production of Mechwarrior Online."

So all employees of PGI are vegetarians?

I believe the full thing is "No animals were harmed during the production of MechWarrior Online. Only people were harmed."

So, what, they test things on interns first? How many do they go through a month?

But yeah the shutdown mechanics have changed a bit, so the related tips could stand to be tweaked. Mostly the tips are still handy (except for the one about LRMs and minimum range, but it doesn't actually specify what that range actually is).

#14 jozkhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 11:50 AM

my bad on the collisions thing, wow I didnt know that and even worse I have about 6 light mechs ;)

I feel like such a nugget!

I'm gonna have to try that out in the testing grounds I really never noticed (but then generally I try not to run into anyone)

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

The second one, is very true. I have, in fact, severed limbs and killed mechs by running into them. In one case I was a Highlander trying to move forward under the clocktower's (the embassy building) airfield of River City. A Commando was deliberately trying to trap me in, and I refused to move backward. I stopped dead. He kept running forward. This was before the new movement code.

To add a little clarity here: You can deal between 0.1 and 1.0 damage by ramming a target. The level of damage varies based on the speed. The smaller the mech is, the more damage it will get too. This damage is dealt to yourself as well.

Your enemy moving either slowly or not moving at all will also increase the amount of damage, versus running into an enemy moving away from you (which sometimes causes collision detection issues). Thus when an enemy is legged it's easier to ram the enemy and see the damage dealt.

You can kill an enemy by ramming them. But unless you're an Atlas or Highlander or Stalker, it's gonna take you forever to kill someone this way.

"Knockdowns" were removed. "Collisions" were not. It'll be a lot more fun with knockdowns and fall damage.
For those interested... 20 minutes of classic closed beta gameplay and collision goodness! Multiple matches. No respect for lights. Streaks were a skill based weapon (watch it before you knock that comment; they really were) that missed most of the time. Yay!

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

View Postjozkhan, on 09 August 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

my bad on the collisions thing, wow I didnt know that and even worse I have about 6 light mechs :(

I feel like such a nugget!

I'm gonna have to try that out in the testing grounds I really never noticed (but then generally I try not to run into anyone)

It's okay. It's hard to know when there's no realism demonstrated behind them, and honestly you'll never notice as a light (you get the brunt of the damage from any collision, ouch) or be able to kill others by doing that. There used to be cool screeching noises for colliding in the closed beta sound files, too. Sooner or later I'll post 'em up. They sounded awesome! Pity they never got into the game. But they will get into my animations eventually. :P

Actually in early Open Beta, people kept crying because their legs would get torn up every time they ran over small boulders and rocks. Used to have to slow down below 90 to get over them without being hurt. Most cried it was a bug. It eventually got removed. One of the likely plans was if you ran too fast on those boulders, rocks, etc., you'd trip and fall with knockdowns returning.

...I missed closed beta. ;)

#17 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostKoniving, on 09 August 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

...I missed closed beta. ;)

Same. Good times...good times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users